#1 Kolodzik (Princeton) over #8 Lugo (Iowa) at 149

#2 Wick (Wisc) over #11 White (Nebraska) at 165

#5 Moisey (Neb) over #19 Brown  (Wis)  Injury Default at 125

Upsets:

#16 Flynn (Mizz) over #13 Mekhi Lewis (VA tech) at 165

#15 Christensen (Wisc) over #10 Labriola (Neb) at 174

edited: White is on Nebraska, not Iowa

Edited by dmm53

Not an upset but Zahid Valencia beats Chip Ness at 184 (!)  in a relatively close contest (at least on the scoreboard).  Didn't see the match though.  Is Zahid testing the waters at a higher weight or was it just a one time bump up for the dual?

#15 O'Connor beats #11 Maruca.  

Arizona State vs. North Carolina (11/17/2018)

Ryan Millhof (Arizona State) over Joseph Heilmann (North Carolina) (Dec 3-0)

Josiah Kline (Arizona State) over James Szymanski (North Carolina) (Dec 5-2)

Jaime Hernandez (North Carolina) over Cory Crooks (Arizona State) (MD 12-4)

Austin O`Connor (North Carolina) over Joshua Maruca (Arizona State) (Dec 3-2)

Kennedy Monday (North Carolina) over Christian Pagdilao (Arizona State) (Dec 11-7)

Joshua Shields (Arizona State) over Joshua McClure (North Carolina) (Dec 14-8)

Devin Kane (North Carolina) over Jacen Petersen (Arizona State) (Fall 6:32)

Zahid Valencia (Arizona State) over Chip Ness (North Carolina) (Dec 9-6)

Kordell Norfleet (Arizona State) over Chasen Blair (North Carolina) (Dec 9-4)

Cory Gilliland-Daniel (North Carolina) over Brady Gilliland-Daniel (Arizona State) (MD 12-3)
Team Score:
Edited by dmm53

3 minutes ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

A set of Maryland brothers in the 285 matchup. How often has that happened on the d1 level? 

(Sorry don’t mean to hijack or anything)

Gives new meaning to the expression, "He's not heavy.  He's my brother".   (What tournament?  Is one going to default out?  Hope they go at it.  I had to wrestle off against my brother once or twice.  Not an enjoyable task.)

Edited by dmm53

18 minutes ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

A set of Maryland brothers in the 285 matchup. How often has that happened on the d1 level? 

(Sorry don’t mean to hijack or anything)

I can't think of another set of 285 brothers from Maryland wrestling each other.  But, the Flayerty (sp?) brothers wrestled each other in a Wisconsin-Minnesota dual about ten years ago.

Edited by jchapman

16 minutes ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

Lol probably not much of a history of md vs md d1 wrestling match. I was asking just brother vs brother in general. So at least twice as I can tell?

And if I recall correctly, little brother from WI bonused big brother from Minn.

18 hours ago, dmm53 said:

#1 Lee (Iowa) over #13 Glory (Princeton) at 125

#2 Wick (Wisc) over #11 White (Iowa) at 165

Upsets:

Question:  How does Spencer Lee ride and turn top level guys with  basic junior high stuff?

10 minutes ago, bp2xbw said:

Question:  How does Spencer Lee ride and turn top level guys with  basic junior high stuff?

Meat and potatoes my friend.  Logan Steiber was a 4X NCAA champ and used an arm bar and a half to destroy dudes.  A cradle is as junior high as anything and look at how often guys like Ed Ruth, Jason Nolf, Mark Hall, Shakur Rasheed, and Bo Nickal pin guys with it.  Mark Hall uses a cement mixer to pin guys as often as he uses a cradle.  You don't have to be fancy you just have to be good.,

19 hours ago, dmm53 said:

#1 Lee (Iowa) over #13 Glory (Princeton) at 125

#2 Wick (Wisc) over #11 White (Iowa) at 165

Upsets:

Did White transfer to Iowa? That is how they are building their team these days. BOOYAH! 

2 hours ago, jchapman said:

And if I recall correctly, little brother from WI bonused big brother from Minn.

That's correct. I coached against the Flaherty brothers in high school, and this wasn't a surprise.  The 2 younger brothers (twins) were always quite a bit better than their older brother.

5 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Not an upset but Zahid Valencia beats Chip Ness at 184 (!)  in a relatively close contest (at least on the scoreboard).  Didn't see the match though.  Is Zahid testing the waters at a higher weight or was it just a one time bump up for the dual?

#15 O'Connor beats #11 Maruca.  

Arizona State vs. North Carolina (11/17/2018)

Ryan Millhof (Arizona State) over Joseph Heilmann (North Carolina) (Dec 3-0)

Josiah Kline (Arizona State) over James Szymanski (North Carolina) (Dec 5-2)

Jaime Hernandez (North Carolina) over Cory Crooks (Arizona State) (MD 12-4)

Austin O`Connor (North Carolina) over Joshua Maruca (Arizona State) (Dec 3-2)

Kennedy Monday (North Carolina) over Christian Pagdilao (Arizona State) (Dec 11-7)

Joshua Shields (Arizona State) over Joshua McClure (North Carolina) (Dec 14-8)

Devin Kane (North Carolina) over Jacen Petersen (Arizona State) (Fall 6:32)

Zahid Valencia (Arizona State) over Chip Ness (North Carolina) (Dec 9-6)

Kordell Norfleet (Arizona State) over Chasen Blair (North Carolina) (Dec 9-4)

Cory Gilliland-Daniel (North Carolina) over Brady Gilliland-Daniel (Arizona State) (MD 12-3)
Team Score:

Valencia looked terrible. Ness rode him the whole third and Zahid looked gas before that point. Bumped him and Norfleet up mid dual to try to steal the team win. As a team, ASU is going to be terrible this year. Would have much rather seen where Norfleet is at and let him wrestle Ness.

6 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

Valencia looked terrible. Ness rode him the whole third and Zahid looked gas before that point. Bumped him and Norfleet up mid dual to try to steal the team win. As a team, ASU is going to be terrible this year. Would have much rather seen where Norfleet is at and let him wrestle Ness.

That "terrible" ASU team has a solid shot to beat Ohio State tomorrow in a dual.  Bucks will be wrestling without Martin and Moore.  

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

I think you underestimate what a great equalizer a full weight class is in college against a quality opponent. There good reason why you don't see weighing in lower and bumping up very often.

2 hours ago, silvermedal said:

That "terrible" ASU team has a solid shot to beat Ohio State tomorrow in a dual.  Bucks will be wrestling without Martin and Moore.  

141. 197. Hwt. Those weights are dead weights against any quality opponent for ASU.  Solid **** is way overstating it. 133 and 149 would be huge upsets for ASU to win. 

16 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

141. 197. Hwt. Those weights are dead weights against any quality opponent for ASU.  Solid **** is way overstating it. 133 and 149 would be huge upsets for ASU to win. 

If ASU had pulled out 157, they'd have won the dual.  No offense....but you were wrong.  

58 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

If ASU had pulled out 157, they'd have won the dual.  No offense....but you were wrong.  

Wrong about? Nothing I saw this weekend make me think other than this is a terrible team with a few good to great wrestlers.

Edited by gobraves101905
added

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, bp2xbw said:

I find this amusing, not because its true, although it is but because its on par with someone hitting a cement mixer or standing headlock. People like to call a headlock a jr. high move or have a way of making it sound less skillful or unappealing. Well if it works and is so "juvenile", what does that say about the opponent that walked into it or can't stop it. They are all good wrestling moves if done with proper technique but even if they look sloppy, who cares. You still have to stop it.

The short answer is, he is just that good.

Edited by unbiased

On 11/18/2018 at 5:08 PM, gobraves101905 said:

Wrong about? Nothing I saw this weekend make me think other than this is a terrible team with a few good to great wrestlers.

Arizona State also could have won the dual if Daniel had beaten Singletary.  It was 1-1 until Singletary's TD near the end of the match.   

Yeah, I know Myles Martin would have made a difference (and Moore very little,) but the fact remains that Arizona won 125, 165 and 174, in addition to pinning at 184.

Therefore, I conclude:

1)  Arizona State is not terrible
2)  Arizona State is actually a really good team
3)  Silvermedal is right
4) You are wrong
5) You won't admit you are wrong