headshuck

Minnesota vs Oklahoma State

Gable wins 8-2 vs Derek White who went 25-4. He scored a takedown and back points at the start of the first and besides riding time and escapes that was it. Gable looked strong and athletic as well as a little cautious. As if he didn't want to take too m any chances. Any thoughts ? How significant is the win?

4 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Gable wins 8-2 vs Derek White who went 25-4. He scored a takedown and back points at the start of the first and besides riding time and escapes that was it. Gable looked strong and athletic as well as a little cautious. As if he didn't want to take too m any chances. Any thoughts ? How significant is the win?

Kind of what I expected. I wish he would have gotten at least 1 more takedown. White looks to be very strong, though so hard to get past his defense. I'm sure Gable will open it up on others 

Not a bad match for his college debut. Although, i am not a fan of the post match celebration. I hope one of his coaches takes him aside and talks to him about what it means to be humble. To me he comes across as lazy and uninterested sometimes, both are bad traits for a young wrestler to adopt. 

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Didn’t White give Snyder a good match at NCAA tournament last year?

Relative to expectation absolutely.  Snyder scored a pair of TDs and White got 1 TD.  Snyder dominated the center of the mat and White got pushed out repeatedly and eventually called for deserved stalling even though he wanted  to stay on the mat.  

Well, I am actually glad to see Gable wrestling this year. I believe that he will be right in the thick of it come March. And who knows, maybe he'll duplicate what Spencer Lee did last season. But even if he doesn't bring home the Crown, I think him being an AA will be good for him and the team. 

14 hours ago, 1032004 said:

What does this mean?

Last year 125lbs was a meat grinder.  Spencer Lee, Nick Suriano, NaTo, Darian Cruz.  It had two guys who had won titles at the weight.  Everyone was waiting for Lee/Suriano all year and we finally got to see it in the finals.

This year 133lbs seems to be the new 125lbs.  Seth Gross, Nick Suriano, Daton Fix, Steven Micic, Tariq Wilson.  Daton Fix is another super stud and with his dismantling of Lizak it seems like we are setting up for another showdown of super receruits in Daton Fix and Nick Suriano like we saw with Lee/Suriano.  Lee/Suriano/Fix have all battled each other in free/folk for years.

33 minutes ago, StallWarning said:

Last year 125lbs was a meat grinder.  Spencer Lee, Nick Suriano, NaTo, Darian Cruz.  It had two guys who had won titles at the weight.  Everyone was waiting for Lee/Suriano all year and we finally got to see it in the finals.

This year 133lbs seems to be the new 125lbs.  Seth Gross, Nick Suriano, Daton Fix, Steven Micic, Tariq Wilson.  Daton Fix is another super stud and with his dismantling of Lizak it seems like we are setting up for another showdown of super receruits in Daton Fix and Nick Suriano like we saw with Lee/Suriano.  Lee/Suriano/Fix have all battled each other in free/folk for years.

No doubt 133 is as deep as it gets. That said, I don't think there is anything "New" to it being competitive AF (Main reason I said Desanto wouldnt AA last year, he got close though)
Last year had: Micic, Gross, Mueller, McKee,  Brock, Desanto, Bridges, Pletcher, Wilson, Tereo, Forys, Parker, Gustafson, Erneste, etc.....  Last year I think I liked 165  for having the most competitive top 10,  but 133, after the top 2 you had about  15 guys you couldn't "Count out" for AA  honors last year. 
In a separate group I'm in, people are saying RBY should be in the top 10,  I'm like "no doubt is he a talent, but have you seen the weight, it's terrifying"

Edited by spladle08

Mattin beat Lizak last year and didn't All-American and Lizak finished 4th when it counted.  Lee teched him 15-0 and Nathan Tomasello. made him quit on his way to a tech last year during the regular season.  This is a trend for LIzak.  Even the year Lizak finished 2nd in the nation, he went 30-7 and had a 4-4 record in the Big 10 before getting on a run at NCAA's.  Saylor just posted that based on Fix winning, that he's the favorite at 133 this year.  Fix didn't beat Lizak anywhere near as bad as several others did last year and Lizak almost got a takedown against Fix and didn't sniff a point against Lee or Nathon Tomasello.   I expected more from Fix to be honest.  Lizak is not good on his feet and Fix was not nearly as dominant as I expected.  I wouldn't count Lizak out this year and I wouldn't make such a strong conclusion off of one match against a wrestler that has a history of not performing as well during the regular season.