headshuck

Minnesota vs Oklahoma State

Just now, stp said:

It's a long season.  Gable is gonna get hammered by an elder, sooner or later...

Not sold on the Gable bag o' donuts.  

Yeah it is always likely for a true freshman to have an undefeated season. How many times has it happened? 

Gable now has wins over a former 3rd placer (Hall) and the current #3 ranked guy, 3 weeks into the season. Cassar, Stoll and Nevills all have a legitimate chance of beating him, but my money is on Gable to win NCAAs this year. He also isn't one of those "true freshman" who is 20 years old, suggesting he still has a lot of growth ahead of him.

14 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah it is always likely for a true freshman to have an undefeated season. How many times has it happened? 

Gable now has wins over a former 3rd placer (Hall) and the current #3 ranked guy, 3 weeks into the season. Cassar, Stoll and Nevills all have a legitimate chance of beating him, but my money is on Gable to win NCAAs this year. He also isn't one of those "true freshman" who is 20 years old, suggesting he still has a lot of growth ahead of him.

Many athletes will experience a "sensory deprivation" during the season, where they (mentally) feel the effects of multiple hard weeks of training, yet also realize the intensity is only going to get harder.  That lull will cause a let down performance and a loss.  College classes, practices where you can't just cruise.....etc.

*The middle to 2/3rds part of season, is a killer.   Gable ain't Snyderman.   

Edited by stp

14 minutes ago, stp said:

Many athletes will experience a "sensory deprivation" during the season, where they (mentally) feel the effects of multiple hard weeks of training, yet also realize the intensity is only going to get harder.  That lull will cause a let down performance and a loss.  College classes, practices where you can't just cruise.....etc.

Even Snyderman lost his true freshman year

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

No doubt 133 is as deep as it gets. That said, I don't think there is anything "New" to it being competitive AF (Main reason I said Desanto wouldnt AA last year, he got close though)
Last year had: Micic, Gross, Mueller, McKee,  Brock, Desanto, Bridges, Pletcher, Wilson, Tereo, Forys, Parker, Gustafson, Erneste, etc.....  Last year I think I liked 165  for having the most competitive top 10,  but 133, after the top 2 you had about  15 guys you couldn't "Count out" for AA  honors last year. 
In a separate group I'm in, people are saying RBY should be in the top 10,  I'm like "no doubt is he a talent, but have you seen the weight, it's terrifying"

Agreed on 133lbs being super difficult last year as well.  Most of my post was referring to the Daton Fix vs Nick Suriano scenario.  Like Suriano and Lee, Fix and Suriano wrestled in that 30 minute Who's #1 Match a few years ago with Suriano coming out on top.  And like last year with the whole Lee/Suriano scenario I can see this year playing out with the same kind of hype train for Fix/Suriano considering they have a similar history as Lee/Suriano.  Admittingly, Lee/Fix have great history as well so if Fix was at 125lbs I'd say the hype train would be similar this year to the Lee/Suriano one last year.

The whole Suriano/Lee/Fix thing is pretty cool.  They are three incredible studs who are essentially the same age as each other at similar weights.  It's too bad they call couldn't go at the same weight this year considering how big of blue chip recruits they all were and all have history with each other before college.

Can I also add. 
Gfeller should start over Brock. 
Brock may be able to beat him in the room, but that comes when you regularly wrestle somebody. 
But as far as vs the rest of the nation.... Give me Gfeller all day! 

36 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Can I also add. 
Brock may be able to beat him in the room, but that comes when you regularly wrestle somebody. 

Pretty sure Gfeller is starting at 149 now. Didn’t Boo break his wrist? 

8 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Pretty sure Gfeller is starting at 149 now. Didn’t Boo break his wrist? 

Is that how severe it is? I didn't realize, I'm hoping he gets his shot for the year. 
I should know more about this, but my Oklahoma source for news is acting like he is guarding damn national secrets. 
Whats the deal with Joe Smith? Heard anything

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Is that how severe it is? I didn't realize, I'm hoping he gets his shot for the year. 
I should know more about this, but my Oklahoma source for news is acting like he is guarding damn national secrets. 
Whats the deal with Joe Smith? Heard anything

No clue on Joe. Seems like his weight is an issue? But he was traveling with the team, so I can’t imagine it is something in his control, or John wouldn’t have let him join I’m guessing

Just now, Alwayswrestling said:

What score/match like for McKee/Brock?

Crazy match. It didn’t look like a folkstyle match half the time. 

Mckee got a 2 point freestyle move right away for no reason

id watch those guys wrestle every day. Super high level and willing to take risks. Neither may ever win a title but I’ll watch them over most champs

23 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Even Snyderman lost his true freshman year

(edit)

Pretty much my thought, too.  Gable will have more than one loss.

Just imo.  

Same time...I wasn't sold on Mark Hall his Freshman year, so my opinion is worth spit. At least it's Copenhagen.

Edited by stp

On 11/18/2018 at 10:40 PM, boconnell said:

That position Fix got a reversal is a position Lizak has absolutely owned at 125.  Fix isn't even a large 133 but the leverage is just different at 133 for Lizak.  Just clinging to a guy and rolling on your own back while looking for NF is a very unique style that demands tons of skill and also that you control a guy physically, and 133s will be far harder for him to control physically.  He's obviously got the same skill level but without the physical advantage I think a much higher percentage of guys will survive under him.

Fix isn't a large 133, but he's THICK. I was surprised at how much thicker he looked than last year (8 pounds makes a huge diff with those little guys!). He clearly overpowered Lizak in that match. Lizak achieved positions that he's thrived in against other guys, and Fix just shrugged him off. Very impressive.

20 hours ago, stp said:

True but Heavies don't cut wight which is a big part of what your saying.

2 hours ago, bp2xbw said:

True but Heavies don't cut wight which is a big part of what your saying.

Great point.  He's definitely not cutting, and no idea what his class load is like.  If it's loaded with prereqs, maybe he's sailing along on one of the 10,000 lakes.  

On 11/19/2018 at 11:37 AM, spladle08 said:

Can I also add. 

agree with this - but Gfeller could AA at 149 too

While you'll never go broke betting against a true freshman posting an unbeaten season, I think many of you predicting Gable's demise at the hands of one of his "elders" are missing the fact that this is the worst heavyweight field in modern history by a country mile.  There is no Adam Coon, no Nick Gwizdowski, no Conner Medberry out there.  He just dominated the #3 ranked guy (by heavyweight standards at least as it's not the sort of weight where you're going to get ten takedowns if your name isn't Kyle Snyder). He's already teched the former 3rd place finisher twice in freestyle and beat him in folkstyle. There just aren't a lot of guys to trip him up in this terrible field. 

Exhibit A:  Name one other year in the past 30 where Sam Stoll would be your #1 ranked heavyweight?  

Exhibit B:  Penn State's backup 197 moves up to heavyweight and wins 7-2 over his teammate who is the nations's #2 ranked heavyweight. 

Based on the list of duals that Gable will have this year on wrestlestat.  Who do you think will beat him?  His toughest opponent would appear to be Hemida or Jordan Wood. He's already dominated Wood numerous times, not sure if he's wrestled Hemida anywhere, maybe that could be an obstacle based on Hemida's recent showing at UWWs.

Keep in mind that this is a guy who already showed himself to be dead even with Tony Nelson and Dom Bradley as an 18 year old.  One more year of maturity and experience should make a huge difference, and I gotta think either of those guys would hardly break a sweat against this year's field.

I predict he runs the table and wins NCAA's in convincing fashion come March.

11 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

While you'll never go broke betting against a true freshman posting an unbeaten season, I think many of you predicting Gable's demise at the hands of one of his "elders" are missing the fact that this is the worst heavyweight field in modern history by a country mile.  There is no Adam Coon, no Nick Gwizdowski, no Conner Medberry out there.  He just dominated the #3 ranked guy (by heavyweight standards at least as it's not the sort of weight where you're going to get ten takedowns if your name isn't Kyle Snyder). He's already teched the former 3rd place finisher twice in freestyle and beat him in folkstyle. There just aren't a lot of guys to trip him up in this terrible field. 

Exhibit A:  Name one other year in the past 30 where Sam Stoll would be your #1 ranked heavyweight?  

Exhibit B:  Penn State's backup 197 moves up to heavyweight and wins 7-2 over his teammate who is the nations's #2 ranked heavyweight. 

Based on the list of duals that Gable will have this year on wrestlestat.  Who do you think will beat him?  His toughest opponent would appear to be Hemida or Jordan Wood. He's already dominated Wood numerous times, not sure if he's wrestled Hemida anywhere, maybe that could be an obstacle based on Hemida's recent showing at UWWs.

Keep in mind that this is a guy who already showed himself to be dead even with Tony Nelson and Dom Bradley as an 18 year old.  One more year of maturity and experience should make a huge difference, and I gotta think either of those guys would hardly break a sweat against this year's field.

I predict he runs the table and wins NCAA's in convincing fashion come March.

If Gable loses this season, it wont be because he wasnt the favorite or that the opponent was decisively better. Itll be because he had an off day and under performed at that moment. Illness, injury, head temporarily in the wrong place, makes a fluke mistake in a match. As for your "exhibit b" that's a little misleading, considering the fact that Cassar was absolutely capable of winning 197 last year and was not just another run of the mill "back up."  

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, FinalThoughts said:

Not a bad match for his college debut. Although, i am not a fan of the post match celebration. I hope one of his coaches takes him aside and talks to him about what it means to be humble. To me he comes across as lazy and uninterested sometimes, both are bad traits for a young wrestler to adopt. 

Thoughts?

I too wish he was a bit less demonstrative over his victories, however you and I aren't possibly the best high school wrestler of all time. It works for him. I don't buy the lazy and disinterested bit. You don't win every match in your age group and many way outside your age group for 4 straight years by being lazy and disinterested.