Sign in to follow this  
KSchlosser

Ohio State 22 vs Arizona State 17

• 125- Millhof (ASU) WBTF Koontz (tOSU) 18-1 (5-0 ASU)
  • 133- Pletcher (tOSU) WBMD Kline (ASU) 16-6 (5-4 ASU)
  • 141- McKenna (tOSU) WBMD Crooks (ASU) 13-0 (8-5 tOSU)
  • 149- Jordan (tOSU) WBMD Maruca (ASU) 18-8 (12-5 tOSU)
  • 157- Hayes (tOSU) WBMD Pagadillo (ASU) 4-3 (15-5 tOSU)
  • 165- Shields (ASU) WBD Romero (tOSU) 5-0 (15-8 tOSU)
  • 174- Valencia (ASU) WBD Campbell (tOSU) 6-1 (15-11 tOSU)
  • 184- Norfleet (ASU) WBF Smith (tOSU) 6:ish (17-15 ASU)
  • 197- Snyder (tOSU) WBMD Harris (ASU) 14-4ish (19-17 tOSU)
  • 285- Singletary (tOSU) WBD Daniel (ASU) 3-0 (22-17 tOSU)

Ohio State without Martin and Moore due to U23 and did not start Mead at 125 by choice.

Thank you PAC 12 Network for broadcasting.

Enjoyed Robles on the broadcast but whoever was with him called non existent points, sequences, and scores and didn't seem to know or explain rules at appropriate times.

Thought Pletcher, McKenna, and Jordan wrestled as expected.

Hayes seemed content to lose by one until he scored two with about ten to go.

If Shields is the gate keeper to the bottom of the podium in Pittsburgh than Romero may be fighting to be that guy in Minneapolis.

Valencia is surgical. Campbell had no offense but pretty solid defense. When he got out of position, Valencia made him pay.

Thought Smith looked ok weighing in at 174 to wrestle 184. Thought he was going to get two going out of bounds in the second. Norfleet up 3-2 at time of fall I believe.

I think TT has a decision to make at some point this year between Smith and Campbell. TT is a loyal man so if Smith wants to wrestle in March he needs to keep grinding.

Surprised at how well Snyder looked at 197.

Hoping that Singletary can find some more ways to set up his offense. Three minute dance in the first, escape and back to dancing in the second, 40 seconds or so of riding time with a cross body ride, more dancing and then two to seal the deal late in the third . I guess I expected more today and got less but a win is a win. With that said and after sleeping on Singletary, I think I have to give credit to a first year starter, on the road, with the outcome of the dual on his shoulders, and assert that may be why he wrestled conservatively.

Edited by KSchlosser

14 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Didn't Anthony redshirt already? I know Zahid got an Olympic Waiver in 15-16, but didn't think Anthony did.

Anthony was top 8 at trials in 2015 so he took an Olympic Redshirt that year and this year is his regular one....

Edited by MSU158

Wrestling news is impossible to find.

ASU was missing Hall. He hasn't wrestled since he wrestled Stevenson in the Bison Open. Anyone know his situation?

At 197 Belshay hasn't wrestled this year. Any idea if he's hurt or redshirting? Snyder essentially faced ASU's 3rd best at 197 as Harris beat Porter in the wrestloffs.

Still haven't seen anything on what happened with Mason Smith. He was still on ASUs Trackwresting Roster as of last week but gone from the web site roster.

Haven't seen or heard anything about Courtney this year. He was supposed to challenge Millhoff at 125 or move to 133. Didn't wrestle in the wrestle offs or the  open tourney.

I just read on Anthony Valencias Twitter page that he's been cleared to wrestle and will start competing in 3 weeks. Picture of a nasty scare on his shoulder from surgery.

I don't know if it means anything or not but Wrestestat now shows Tanner Hall as being a red shirt. Of course it has Anthony redshirting as well, so it remains to be seen how accurate that is.

Add Anthony to the mix of those missing and I think the Devils are going to have a hard time in duals this year, but could match or surpass last years NCAA finish if some guys step up. Pagdilao had two tough matches against ranked opponents this weekend, losing in the final 10 seconds to Hayes.

Edited by westfan

Tanner Hall is redshirting

Anthony is being crazy . Coaches don’t want him wrestling this year and to heal up, but he has decided to defy them I guess? I saw that post earlier today. He also had a twitter post alluding to him coming back recently. 

Im not sure on mason smith or Courtney. I’m holding out hope mason was just a transfer issue that will be resolved by next semester. 

No idea on Belshay. I hope he is healthy but honestly he has almost no chance of making an impact. He just isn’t very good compared to D1 guys. 

28 minutes ago, jchapman said:

How old is Tanner Hall?

I found an article from AZCENTRAL.COM referring to Tanner being a 23 year old freshman, so he'd be 26 or 27 right now. He's in his fourth year of college, spent two years on a mission and one at the OTC.

Anyone know why he's redshirting. I know he's an honor student in the Barret Honors college. Perhaps he's going straight into a masters program and wants to hang around another year as the team matures and adds new recruits.

58 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Anthony is being crazy . Coaches don’t want him wrestling this year and to heal up, but he has decided to defy them I guess? I saw that post earlier today. He also had a twitter post alluding to him coming back recently. 

Im not sure on mason smith or Courtney. I’m holding out hope mason was just a transfer issue that will be resolved by next semester. 

No idea on Belshay. I hope he is healthy but honestly he has almost no chance of making an impact. He just isn’t very good compared to D1 guys. 

Mason Smith is no longer listed on the Arizona State roster.

6 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Haven't heard anything about Anthony, but I'm not bullish on his chances of ever becoming an AA. He's not improved one iota since entering college, somewhow.

6 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Wow,  that was the best OSU could do at 125? Kinda surprised, I figured with Tomasello kicking the crap out of the littles in OSU's room the last few years that OSU would be tough as a nickel steak at 125.

They have heinselman but are shirting him this year I believe.  "Normal" starter is brakan mead.  Probably would've had a better showing with him.