Sign in to follow this  
Greatdane67

Joe Smith

9 hours ago, BLT said:

Evidently he is weighing around 184 and him or Geer at that weight. Jacobe Smith  has looked sharp and 174 and no way Joe Smith makes 165.

Rumor is he plans to try to best out Jacobe. It’s weird this wasn’t settled in the off season. 

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

I was at junior duals one year, and Joe Smith was gonna wrestle Manville. I noticed John Smith enter and sit quietly in the stands. I know its exactly what you are supposed to do and the only thing someone with sense does...but I thought it was cool none the less.

John is a star, no doubt about it. It's the same type reaction I get when I show up at ball-in-a-cup competitions.

Just now, Greatdane67 said:

This means they will have a least one stud sitting on the bench.

Everyone was so concerned with the lightweights, the logjam with the bigger guys seems to have been overlooked.

The lightweight logjam got settled (at least temporarily) when a guy got injured.  When your backup 141 can come in up a weight and beats a guy like Thorn 9-3, it's a logjam worth being concerned over.  

But until Smith makes some weight and attempts to wrestle a match nobody has any idea how this will turn out.  I think there's no way Rogers beats him because Rogers doesn't have a style that works great against teammates.  So the fact Rogers is down at 165 for the first time in 2 years tells me Joe Smith will never come close to 165.  I'm not sure I see him beating Jacobe though.  It's tough to give up that much size and length and win.  So I'm guessing he's either a fat 184 or it's a Smith/Smith wrestle off (or we've seen him wrestle his last match).  

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

PSU seems to be sitting nevils, sat casser last year....tOSU has the hayes/jordan issue....how does D1 wrestling encourage the talent to spread out? Do we need less scholarships?!?!?!

Nevills is redshirting? I'm glad to hear that,  hate seeing good wrestlers missing out on the action. I thought he redshirted earlier, guess I was wrong.

43 minutes ago, boconnell said:

The lightweight logjam got settled (at least temporarily) when a guy got injured.  When your backup 141 can come in up a weight and beats a guy like Thorn 9-3, it's a logjam worth being concerned over.  

But until Smith makes some weight and attempts to wrestle a match nobody has any idea how this will turn out.  I think there's no way Rogers beats him because Rogers doesn't have a style that works great against teammates.  So the fact Rogers is down at 165 for the first time in 2 years tells me Joe Smith will never come close to 165.  I'm not sure I see him beating Jacobe though.  It's tough to give up that much size and length and win.  So I'm guessing he's either a fat 184 or it's a Smith/Smith wrestle off (or we've seen him wrestle his last match).  

Rogers has been their 165 the past two seasons

1 hour ago, rcoates1 said:

Rogers has been their 165 the past two seasons

You are correct.  He was up and came down.  In my mind for some reason I inverted that and was thinking he was down and went up 2 years ago.  I was totally wrong.

6 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

This means they will have a least one stud sitting on the bench.

Everyone was so concerned with the lightweights, the logjam with the bigger guys seems to have been overlooked.

Either 1) Joe stays fat and ends up wasting his Sr year (he used up his RS already) or 2) he beats out Jacobe Smith, who has tremendous upside at 174 and who is coming off an AA campaign last year.  Neither is a good option and means a talented wrestler (Smith or Smith) gets left out of the picture. If I was John I'd beat Joe about the face and neck area with a waterhose for getting too heavy.

Edited by TobusRex

5 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

Just checked. Rogers did indeed wrestle in the Big 12 championship finals at 165 the last 2 years.

Yeah, his first year he was kinda shoehorned into the lineup as an emergency 174 pounder. Finished R12 against bigger guys as a FR. The next 2 years he was at his proper weight and AA'd both times.

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Either 1) Joe stays fat and ends up wasting his Sr year (he used up his RS already) or 2) he beats out Jacobe Smith, who has tremendous upside at 174 and who is coming off an AA campaign last year.  Neither is a good option and means a talented wrestler (Smith or Smith) gets left out of the picture. If I was John I'd beat Joe about the face and neck area with a waterhose for getting too heavy.

Joe was never going to make 157 again. What weight do you want him at?

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Junior year.  I imagine he'll start next year and they'll have Wittlake suck down to 165

Early reports suggested wasn't 100% healthy pre-season.  He wasn't at first tourney so probably not wrestle off if had such.  Report was he weighed in for the Sat/Sun road trip.  Most all were expecting with the semi log jam there'd be 2 AAs not make starting lineup (one of those cleared up with Lewallen injury).  Would expect Reno & Shuffle will clarify starting lineup.  But an extra guy likely needed available in upper weights and I'd expect there will be a J Smith in the lineup.

12 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Joe was never going to make 157 again. What weight do you want him at?

Up to him, but it's gonna end up being a waste of talent no matter who is riding the pine. At least Joe is only a Jr, I thought he was a Sr.