I think it is highly unlikely he can transition back to wrestling and make the Olympic team. He simply wasn't as good as some people made him out to be when he was wrestling and with the new weight-in rules, he most likely can't make 65 healthy and he isn't going to beat guys like Burroughs, Dake, Dieringer and possibly Hall as a small 74. 

That being said, I do think he should step away from from MMA, that way his fans can tell how great he would of been if he stuck with it. 

I agree with a couple (or more) posters above.  If his goal is to simply win, he is not going about it in a way that puts those odds way up there.  

His goal seems to be to win with spectacle and to prove a point that he doesn’t need his wrestling.  Seems to think he’ll be more respected or marketable if he can win with standup.  

If he is able to continue and does continue with MMA, I’m hoping his thinking and his coaches thinking evolves to realize that their strategy and tactics need to evolve to leverage his wrestling strengths and also to not simple slug it out in a wild haymaker fest.  Kid doesn’t have the chin for it. 

7 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Why doesn't he actually put his wrestling skills to use instead of imagining himself as some heroic boxer (even if he has some skills there). 

Askren does this to his big advantage.  Ground and pound! 

Most likely, no one who steps in the ring with him will have anywhere near the wrestling ability.   

Is it the arrogance of youth? 

Nope.

He's dumb.

4 hours ago, Flying-Tiger said:

I think it is highly unlikely he can transition back to wrestling and make the Olympic team. He simply wasn't as good as some people made him out to be when he was wrestling and with the new weight-in rules, he most likely can't make 65 healthy and he isn't going to beat guys like Burroughs, Dake, Dieringer and possibly Hall as a small 74. 

That being said, I do think he should step away from from MMA, that way his fans can tell how great he would of been if he stuck with it. 

He was a match away from the Olympics the last he wrestled, at 18 years old. I don’t know where the not as good as made out to be is accurate or relevant. I also don’t know why people on the message board pretend to know what an athlete can and can’t make...

Pico is 4-2 as a pro with all 6 fights ending in the 1st round. Dynamite all 6 times. Can't say they're boring fights.

Many, even the commentators before the fight, are saying that Pico should be mixing in his wrestling. Aaron himself said it in the post fight interview. 

Will be interesting to see if Pico can transition from a "boxer" into a possible black belt mixed martial artist. 

Pico is the extremely rare fighter whose wrestling stance and boxing stance lead with the same leg. It’s hard to overstate how much of an edge this gives him. It is incomprehensible to me how a guy with his wrestling skill who doesn’t need to switch stances to box at his best fails to mix in what is increasingly looking like his best skill—his wrestling—with his punching. If that KO wasn’t the mother of all wake-up calls, he is destined for a much shorter career than even his detractors expected. 

He should be modeling his fighting strategy after Khabib’s, not Derrick Lewis’s. Picó got knocked out while in his best wrestling position, the head tie, because he inexplicably decided to forget his patented snapdown and instead decided to trade hooks to the face. 

28 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Pico is the extremely rare fighter whose wrestling stance and boxing stance lead with the same leg. It’s hard to overstate how much of an edge this gives him. It is incomprehensible to me how a guy with his wrestling skill who doesn’t need to switch stances to box at his best fails to mix in what is increasingly looking like his best skill—his wrestling—with his punching. If that KO wasn’t the mother of all wake-up calls, he is destined for a much shorter career than even his detractors expected. 

He should be modeling his fighting strategy after Khabib’s, not Derrick Lewis’s. Picó got knocked out while in his best wrestling position, the head tie, because he inexplicably decided to forget his patented snapdown and instead decided to trade hooks to the face. 

He has been knocked out twice in a minute or less. You watch a lot of mma-did any of the top fighters have this type of start to their careers/show such a propensity to getting knocked out? Even if he mixes in more wrestling, all the top ufc wrestlers (Cormier, cejudo, khabib) spend significant time in a fight standing. They need to be able to survive on their feet. Don’t you think at this point he’s better off moving back to international wrestling? 

18 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

He has been knocked out twice in a minute or less. You watch a lot of mma-did any of the top fighters have this type of start to their careers/show such a propensity to getting knocked out? Even if he mixes in more wrestling, all the top ufc wrestlers (Cormier, cejudo, khabib) spend significant time in a fight standing. They need to be able to survive on their feet. Don’t you think at this point he’s better off moving back to international wrestling? 

I believe he was only knocked out once. His first loss was a submission. 

But at any rate, after yesterday, his chin is a question mark. 

Isn't it the case that UFC does not like wrestling-- or fighters who win by wrestling? Isn't this what kept Askren out of the UFC for years? It could be that his style follows the money. Of course, getting knocked out is also a bad financial decision.

He was just knocked out for the first time professionally. The first loss was a choke, although the choke resulted from him getting dropped (very different than being knocked out and incapacitated). 

Top fighters do get knocked out, it’s not so rare. Even just among wrestlers, Cejudo and Cornier have both gotten knocked out and then went on to become champs (Demetrius Johnson knocked out Cejudo and the steroid—aided Jon Jones knocked out Cormier). 

Pico’s young career has been less stellar than anticipated, but he has definitely shown flashes of brilliance in all but his first fight (up anweoght class) and is clearly very skilled, although admittedly quite raw as a true mixed martial artist also. 

I think it’s defintirly too early to say he should stop fighting. But he has to adjust his style. Wrestling may be boring to the average MMA fan but when combined with good punching, it is unquestionably the best base skill for fighting. If the UFC has proven anything over the years, it’s that. Pico, possibly to live up to his hype as a crusher and prodigy, has very u wisely opted to ignore his wrestling. 

Well, I don't know what the future holds for Aaron, but I think if he were to transition back to wrestling, I think under the new weigh in rules we would probably see him at 70. I know that would put him out of the running for the 2020 Olympics, but it would allow him to compete for the World's. Yes, I know many will put forth the Olympic Dream argument, but I think that since he's older, I'm not sure he will be able to wrestling optimally at 65. 

4 hours ago, Katie said:

Freddy Roach's take on Pico's fight: Link.

Exactly!  Take a lesson from Askren.  If you are an elite wrestler, you take puncher's down.  Ground and pound.  Rinse and repeat.  

15 hours ago, PSUMike said:

In fairness, the shot he got hit with would have put most fighters down for the count. It was a wild hook that landed flush on the chin. 

But the top/more experienced fighters would've never put themselves in that position. It wasn't a pure luck Hail Mary, it was a big mistake by Pico.

Edited by Crotalus

But the top/more experienced fighters would've never put themselves in that position. It wasn't a pure luck Hail Mary, it was a big mistake by Pico.
Not arguing that at all. Simply playing devil's advocate to the "Pico has no chin" crowd.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 11/27/2018 at 12:52 PM, cjc007 said:

Kinda like Bo Nickal or Mark Hall?

They're not back, because, you know they're not representing the US at Worlds.

Sound logic.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm....awesome observation!

Bo Nickal and Mark Hall didn't skip college wrestling altogether in the mistaken belief they could make the Sr team (Pico did!).

Bo Nickal and Mark Hall didn't immediately cave on their Sr Team aspirations and go into MMA to make money getting their heads stove in. (This remains to be seen after their wrestling careers are kaput).

Trying to figure out how your response to me made sense in any way whatsoever. Failing.

16 hours ago, PSUMike said:

In fairness, the shot he got hit with would have put most fighters down for the count. It was a wild hook that landed flush on the chin. 

In fairness, if he was a more skilled fighter that hook wouldn't have connected, either.

6 hours ago, TobusRex said:

In fairness, if he was a more skilled fighter that hook wouldn't have connected, either.

Skilled and smart are two different things.  He could be skilled, but he not always choosing to be smart.  Standing toe-to-toe with your opponent, locking in with a head tie, and then throw haymaker head shots will quickly lead to someone getting knocked out.  Rather than rely on his striking skills he seems to want to resort to the brawling tactics of “stand and bang” which has rarely resulted in a better than .500 record for most who implement it.  For all that can be said about Floyd Maywrathers fights, no one can say he doesn’t stick to the style/plan he knows will allow him to win.   Pico needs to figure that one out instead of trying to do something that’s uneccesary in hopes of getting a bigger “pop” from the crowd.  

Edited by MadMardigain

He has some pretty decent power.  At one point rocking his opponent with a solid uppercut in the last fight. But instead of capitalizing on that by bringing it to the ground and ovwewhelming him, Pico keepnit standing ans went toe-to-toe brawler style.   You do that and most of your opponents have the same opportunity to nail you with their serious power too.   I’m not doubting Pico high level striking power or even boxing skill.  Its more of a question of if he want to use them to his advantage, because what happened last week was not high level fighter IQ decision making. 

Edited by MadMardigain