Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

J. Cox Olympic Weight?

I think he goes up and tries to take out Snyderman, rather than going down and trying to keep up with the gas tank that is David Taylor.... 
Thoughts?  
Obviously every other year  we are strongest with Dake/Cox filling those extra weights. 
But Olympic year, I think Cox gets the job done up a weight, Give me input. 

I have no idea what weight J'den will choose for 2020 but he did not look happy after 86kg weigh-ins in Paris. I would guess he goes up to 97kg and challenges Kyle.

Also, same day weigh-ins and all the way back down to 86kg, and then he has to beat Taylor? Brutal path.

At least J'den can eat going up to 97kg. We'll see. This will be interesting. 

I imagine he knows if he has a chance vs Snyder. 

I expect he will go up. 

1. He has a style that can frustrate Snyder. His defense is on point and he can turn it into a 1 takedown differential match. If it turns into a “who gets a takedown in the last 30 seconds” contest, he has a shot. 

2. He struggled with the old weigh in rules at 86. He looked terrible in the semis in 2017 against an opponent he should’ve smashed. With the new rules? I’m not even sure if he would make weight both days, let alone be able to compete with the best in the world with many of the guys from 92, 86, and 79. 

I don’t think Cox makes the team. The good news is, if Snyder gets injured or something, we have an excellent #2 who can challenge for gold. 

55 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

What a problem to have in USA Wrestling.  

* 74kg - 5x World Champ

* 79kg - World Champ

* 86kg - World Champ

* 92kg - World Champ

* 97kg - 3x World Champ

No matter how you slice it, there will be World Champions riding our BENCH.

Yup. Possibly more than one. Ringer, Nolf, Hall, Zahid, Nickal, Moore and a few others can push our world champs. I wouldn’t be shocked if we had two or even 3 (Logie) world champs riding the bench in 2020. 

I think dake drops, so at least 1 sits at 74. I think Jden goes up, so that means 2 on the bench. 86kg could go to a few guys, although DT is the favorite. 

We need 10 weights

If we're going by the "eyeball test", I'll now take Taylor over Cox.  Taylor may be the 2nd best P4P in the world (at the CURRENT) moment, behind Sadulaev.  Granted, with 79kg and 92kg, the weight classes "thinned" a bit, but... Taylor is now 2-0 vs. Yazdani, and everyone, and I mean everyone believes(ed) that Yazdani was top 3-5 P4P.  So... 

39 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

If we're going by the "eyeball test", I'll now take Taylor over Cox.  Taylor may be the 2nd best P4P in the world (at the CURRENT) moment, behind Sadulaev.  Granted, with 79kg and 92kg, the weight classes "thinned" a bit, but... Taylor is now 2-0 vs. Yazdani, and everyone, and I mean everyone believes(ed) that Yazdani was top 3-5 P4P.  So... 

I don’t want to ignore some of the amazing lower weight performances at worlds, but it’s hard to argue Taylor is anything but top 5, unless p4p criteria is purely based on credentials. 

20 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I’ll give you the “eyeball” test if you’ll consider the “got your number” test. Tayler has a bit of a history of losing to the same guy over and over.

Yeah... of course... I'll consider it.  ;-)

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Yup. Possibly more than one. Ringer, Nolf, Hall, Zahid, Nickal, Moore and a few others can push our world champs. I wouldn’t be shocked if we had two or even 3 (Logie) world champs riding the bench in 2020. 

I think dake drops, so at least 1 sits at 74. I think Jden goes up, so that means 2 on the bench. 86kg could go to a few guys, although DT is the favorite. 

We need 10 weights

Yep.  Snyder is the better wrestler, but Snyder is better at moving large men then he is at moving with quick ones.  Cox moves so well laterally and has such long reach to stop shots from distance.  Snyder will control the center of the mat in that match, but it may look like a bull fight if the ref doesn't aggressively force action.  Even if Cox gives up a shot clock point he's still in a tight match.

1 hour ago, 2td3nf said:

Looking ahead to the upcoming 2019 season, guessing J'den stays at 92kg as he is already sitting in the finals at Final X?

Yeah I think he will. I’m not sure about dake though. He might want to try to sit out at 74 for the Olympic trials 

27 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah I think he will. I’m not sure about dake though. He might want to try to sit out at 74 for the Olympic trials 

Was thinking the same thing about Dake. Does Dake defend his title at 79 in 2019 or does he drop to 74 to set up a bye to Olympic Trials finals?

61, Colon ( possibly Garrett ), I would suspect that they will stand pat, and just try to go 61 at the UWW's World Championionships that weren't contested in Tokyo.

At 74, I would assume that Dake will try and make a run at JB in 2020, but I think in 2019 he tries to defend his title at 79. If he loses to JB for an Olympic berth, I think he also waits for the WC. 

At 86, I think this weight is DT's for the foreseeable future. 

92, I think Cox will probably never see 86 again, and will try and challenge Snydman, but I don't see Kyle being derailed, (but anything can happen). I think that afterwards J'Den also stands pat and goes to the WC at 92. 

97, I have to believe this is Kyle's weight for as long as he wants it, unless he gets injured. 

125, I think Gwiz has the inside track, but I can see him probably getting challenged by Coon, and Steveson. 

9 hours ago, de4856 said:

61, Colon ( possibly Garrett ), I would suspect that they will stand pat, and just try to go 61 at the UWW's World Championionships that weren't contested in Tokyo.

At 74, I would assume that Dake will try and make a run at JB in 2020, but I think in 2019 he tries to defend his title at 79. If he loses to JB for an Olympic berth, I think he also waits for the WC. 

At 86, I think this weight is DT's for the foreseeable future. 

92, I think Cox will probably never see 86 again, and will try and challenge Snydman, but I don't see Kyle being derailed, (but anything can happen). I think that afterwards J'Den also stands pat and goes to the WC at 92. 

97, I have to believe this is Kyle's weight for as long as he wants it, unless he gets injured. 

125, I think Gwiz has the inside track, but I can see him probably getting challenged by Coon, and Steveson. 

I think it is pretty unlikely anyone who has a shot at making the team doesn’t go to an Olympic weight in 2020. 

The Olympics is what all of these guys have been dreaming about their entire lives. It matters way more than worlds. Plus, if they don’t make the Olympics, they can still make the world team. 

3 hours ago, headshuck said:

Will Dake go 86kg and continue his streak vs Tayler?  

I say no... I'm a believer and supporter that Dake will go down in weight, to 74kg, and will actually and finally dethrone JB.  Dake and Taylor are both going to stranglehold their competition for the next 3-5 years.

21 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Garrett plans to drop if I remember correctly. He talked about it in an interview with Flo a couple weeks ago. 

Nashon's matches get crazy, but doesn't Nashon look like he performs better at 61 instead of 57?

I find it interesting that everyone assumes Dake is going down to 74kg for the Olympics. If he goes up to 86kg, his toughest competition is someone he's beaten two dozen times (assuming Cox goes 97kg).