Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

J. Cox Olympic Weight?

Housebuye, you are right about the Olympics being the event everyone wants to be a part of, and the one everyone dreams about winning.

But I think that for some, they are probably already calculating the pros and cons of trying to make the weight cut, battle for the top spot, and then if they lose, they have to put the weight back on in time for the for the WC. And when it goes to putting the weight back on, if you don't do it right or your strength may not come back to the same levels. So, it may be for some, that even though they would really like to participate in the Olympics, they may realize that their better option for success is waiting for the WC. 

I know this is an isolated case, but remember in 2016, when James Green made the cut to 65, and basically just wasn't the same. 

On 11/28/2018 at 12:05 AM, de4856 said:

61, Colon ( possibly Garrett ), I would suspect that they will stand pat, and just try to go 61 at the UWW's World Championionships that weren't contested in Tokyo.

At 74, I would assume that Dake will try and make a run at JB in 2020, but I think in 2019 he tries to defend his title at 79. If he loses to JB for an Olympic berth, I think he also waits for the WC. 

At 86, I think this weight is DT's for the foreseeable future. 

92, I think Cox will probably never see 86 again, and will try and challenge Snydman, but I don't see Kyle being derailed, (but anything can happen). I think that afterwards J'Den also stands pat and goes to the WC at 92. 

97, I have to believe this is Kyle's weight for as long as he wants it, unless he gets injured. 

125, I think Gwiz has the inside track, but I can see him probably getting challenged by Coon, and Steveson. 

At 74, if JB loses to Dake at Olympic Trials, does JB go to the WC at 79??  I'd like to see that.  

I also think Cox will bump to 92 and try to dethrone Synderman for 2020. 

Obviously, nothin beats Olympic gold. But I assume that those who don't go to Tokyo will still be able to compete for a world championship in the non-Olympic weights. Would the prospect of world gold make some guys choose not to move up or down and just stay where they are?

13 hours ago, NJDan said:

Obviously, nothin beats Olympic gold. But I assume that those who don't go to Tokyo will still be able to compete for a world championship in the non-Olympic weights. Would the prospect of world gold make some guys choose not to move up or down and just stay where they are?

I doubt it in most cases. I'm guessing guys will be able to do trials for both, so there would be no reason not to put their hats in the ring for the Olympics--cuz, you know, it's the Olympics. I mean, even if J'Den or Green feel they can never make the lower weight option again, it seems they'd at least make a go at 97 and 74.

Edited by maligned

6 hours ago, maligned said:

I doubt it in most cases. I'm guessing guys will be able to do trials for both, so there would be no reason not to put their hats in the ring for the Olympics--cuz, you know, it's the Olympics. I mean, even if J'Den or Green feel they can never make the lower weight option again, it seems they'd at least make a go at 97 and 74.

Tru dat if the trials for different weights are held at least a few weeks apart.

8 hours ago, maligned said:

it's what Stieber did right? made his run at Olympics and then made the cut down for non Oly weight world championships or whatever they called it.

issue will be how much time between the scheduled events.     

What a problem to have in USA Wrestling.  
* 74kg - 5x World Champ
* 79kg - World Champ
* 86kg - World Champ
* 92kg - World Champ
* 97kg - 3x World Champ
No matter how you slice it, there will be World Champions riding our BENCH.

Don’t forget about Logie Bear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

57 should be nuts.  Gilman, Fix, Lee, NATO, Garrett, Colon all should be right up there (although it remains to be seen how good the last two would look down at this weight).  Someone like Ramos, Clark, Gross, or Graff could pull an upset or two. Madness.  If we are going to see something crazy a la Molinaro (the 9 seed in 2016 at 65kg winning it all) it will be here.

65: Oliver is the favorite IMO.  Zain is not far behind.  Steiber can't be counted out.  McKenna and Eierman could be factors if they keep improving.  And maybe Green will give it another go at this weight?

74kg  Burroughs vs. Dake.  Think Dake will take it this time, but then again, I've said that before.  IMAR, Valencia, and Dieringer are all factors too.  And Green if he bumps up, but the crazy strength of this field might make him want to go down if he possibly can.

86kg Taylor will win this.  

97kg  Snyder vs. Cox.  Gadson, Zilmer, and Walz are the next best, but don't think anyone will be able to stop the top 2 from meeting.

125kg Gwiz, Steveson, and Coon are the clear top 3 here (if Coon goes free).

If I had to pick the team now, I'd guess Fix, Oliver, Dake, Taylor, Synder, and Steveson

Cos has a chance against Snyder. Kyle has slowed a bit from muscling against big, slower and heavier guys rather than working with more speed and movement. J'den has the speed to give him trouble and his attitude is right. Snyder is in trouble if and when they meet. J'den seems to be getting more technical and showing a better mat awareness in freestyle and that will give Snyder trouble.

Either way the US wins. Just hope that win is against the Top Dog Russian in the Olympics because he will be ready to eat up anyone we send.

8 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Does anyone know what the allowance was for AWL? If it was significant I feel like I still favor Zain over JO. Day before weigh-ins + weight allowance favors Oliver.

IIRC it was 3 kilos and they both weighed in right at the limit. 

Yeah, it's just too bad we (or any other country) can't send the World varsity team right into the Olympics. Once again, gonna set up some huge drama for those 6 Olympic spots.

In the meantime, 2019 should be a lot of fun with J'den and all the other medalists sitting in Final X best of 3.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:09 PM, rpm002 said:

57 should be nuts.  Gilman, Fix, Lee, NATO, Garrett, Colon all should be right up there (although it remains to be seen how good the last two would look down at this weight).  Someone like Ramos, Clark, Gross, or Graff could pull an upset or two. Madness.  If we are going to see something crazy a la Molinaro (the 9 seed in 2016 at 65kg winning it all) it will be here.

65: Oliver is the favorite IMO.  Zain is not far behind.  Steiber can't be counted out.  McKenna and Eierman could be factors if they keep improving.  And maybe Green will give it another go at this weight?

74kg  Burroughs vs. Dake.  Think Dake will take it this time, but then again, I've said that before.  IMAR, Valencia, and Dieringer are all factors too.  And Green if he bumps up, but the crazy strength of this field might make him want to go down if he possibly can.

86kg Taylor will win this.  

97kg  Snyder vs. Cox.  Gadson, Zilmer, and Walz are the next best, but don't think anyone will be able to stop the top 2 from meeting.

125kg Gwiz, Steveson, and Coon are the clear top 3 here (if Coon goes free).

If I had to pick the team now, I'd guess Fix, Oliver, Dake, Taylor, Synder, and Steveson

Wasnt Cox also an 8/9 seed that won it all in 2016?

44 minutes ago, Greatdane67 said:

A long time ago, but I believe Snyder and Cox split matches before college. I do not think the mystique of Snyder would intimidate him that much.

If this type of depth is an issue for US Wrestling, sign me up every single time!

The other thing is - if J'den does decide to bump up to 97kg for 2020, he's going to be on 100% horsepower by not having to cut all that weight. Clash of the titans with him and Kyle, if it does happen. It's still a while down the road so we'll see what happens when we get to 2020.

Totally looking forward to 2019 Worlds where we can run 10 of our studs out there.

19 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Wasnt Cox also an 8/9 seed that won it all in 2016?

Yep, Cox was the 8 seed.  Something that people forget is that he beat ninth-seeded Clayton Foster 7-7 on criteria, so his run easily could have been over before it started.  Then he beat Herbert and Gavin to get to the epic final with Dake.

I still think Molinaro was by far a bigger dark horse.  Especially with the advantage of knowing the bracket, a lot of people thought Cox could at least get to the finals.  No one thought Molinaro could beat Metcalf or Steiber, let alone both consecutively.  Once he had both of those victories, the other side of the bracket was loaded with Kennedy/Humphrey/Oliver/Pico.  And then facing Pico and losing match 1, it seemed unfathomable he'd come back to win the next 2.  Just an all-time shocking run that I still can't believe I saw.

5 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

Yep, Cox was the 8 seed.  Something that people forget is that he beat ninth-seeded Clayton Foster 7-7 on criteria, so his run easily could have been over before it started.  Then he beat Herbert and Gavin to get to the epic final with Dake.

I still think Molinaro was by far a bigger dark horse.  Especially with the advantage of knowing the bracket, a lot of people thought Cox could at least get to the finals.  No one thought Molinaro could beat Metcalf or Steiber, let alone both consecutively.  Once he had both of those victories, the other side of the bracket was loaded with Kennedy/Humphrey/Oliver/Pico.  And then facing Pico and losing match 1, it seemed unfathomable he'd come back to win the next 2.  Just an all-time shocking run that I still can't believe I saw.

Then narrowly missed medaling at the Olympics where many expected him to be eliminated immediately.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:44 AM, PRyan2012 said:

Four former champs will not make the team. Logan, Varner, Cox and Burroughs. I think Taylor, Snyder and Dake, Oliver/Zain are solid favorites for 2020

Anyone else chuckling about the inclusion of Varner in this group?  Is there any indication he is still competing for real and is aiming for a spot?  Sure he is a former champ but so is Cejudo.  I think the ship has sailed when it comes to winning another Olympic gold.

10 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

your 'run could have easily been over before it started' comment for Cox, and then later mention of Pico....recall his run to final almost ended early as well. Ness was a point away from tech fall over Pico, then tide turned big time.   

1 hour ago, nom said:

Anyone else chuckling about the inclusion of Varner in this group?  Is there any indication he is still competing for real and is aiming for a spot?  Sure he is a former champ but so is Cejudo.  I think the ship has sailed when it comes to winning another Olympic gold.

He is not sure. And what weight. 213 or Hwy. Had good wins over Bradley and Nelson and had a razor close match with Coon but 213 is his best weight. The only reason he would even think about it is money. He just resigned a new shoe deal on the Varner's at the beginning of the year. He stands to make a lot more money if he competes through 2020. If it is 213 I still think he places 2nd which would be good enough to keep the shoe contract through 2020. So chuckle all you want:-) 

2 hours ago, nom said:

Varner wrestled world team trials this year, in 2018.  So I don't consider it that far fetched...

21 hours ago, headshuck said:

If Cox can get to 86 he’s got a real shot to beat Tayler again. He’d have the mental edge and be at 100% without the knee injury.

He may have to dehydrate to get there.  DO you think he could sweat sufficiently to make the match unfair again?