Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
qc8223

Kemerer done: season-ending surgery

Recommended Posts

Probably eliminates the small chance the hawks had this year.

https://iawrestle.com/2018/11/27/michael-kemerer-to-have-season-ending-surgery/

Sounds like Bowman might be on his way down (at least according to HR). Assuming he can handle the cut (big assumption obviously), how do you think he fares? He's got some good stuff, but his feet may be a bit slow for the weight. On the flip side, the added length advantage complements his top-game (leg rider/tilts) and his leg attacks (long singles and high crotches that he sucks in). I wouldn't be surprised to see him wrestling on Saturday morning at NCAAs or not qualify at all.

Edited by qc8223

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Poor guy. Hope the surgery works. 

This is really bad for Iowa. The team race is essentially lost now. This might be a terrible idea, but could iowa bump Marinelli and put Nelson Brands in at 165? Are there any other options?

That would be their best line up sans Kem Dawg, and Iowa fans love to move guys around to different weights (think Brody Grothus to  141 weight class) so they will probably want to see it. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure this didn’t factor in to the decision, but it is a silver lining for Iowa - if Kem does get a medical shirt, that means he will have one year (2020/21) without

1. Zahid

2. Hall

3. Amine

4. Lewis (graduates this year)

5. McFadden

6. Kemerer, so skip

7. Kutler

8. Jacobe (graduating this year)

9. Lujan 

10. Christensen (graduating this year)

11. Labriola (only one in the top 16 who isn’t an upper classman)

12. Campbell (graduating this year)

13. Sebastian (graduating this year)

14. Harvey

15. Lydy

16. Womack

All 10 of the top 10 at 174 are upper classman. 

Only 1 of the top 16 isn’t (Labriola). 

Im sure other hammers will emerge and a lot can change, but as it stands the weight is clearing out after next season and Kemerer will be in the driver’s seat for a title in 20/21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That would be their best line up sans Kem Dawg, and Iowa fans love to move guys around to different weights (think Brody Grothus to  141 weight class) so they will probably want to see it. 

Hearing Bowman may be dropping? Apparently he certified at 174 and weighed in at 182.5 when he wrestled 197 (and beat a ranked guy) a couple days ago. 

Bowman is a solid 174. He isn’t likely to AA, as the weight is stacked, but it won’t be a hole if he can get there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Hearing Bowman may be dropping? Apparently he certified at 174 and weighed in at 182.5 when he wrestled 197 (and beat a ranked guy) a couple days ago. 

Bowman is a solid 174. He isn’t likely to AA, as the weight is stacked, but it won’t be a hole if he can get there 

Looking at the rankings I think he could get 8th but not higher. It would require a great tourney for him to get there imo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Looking at the rankings I think he could get 8th but not higher. It would require a great tourney for him to get there imo

With a bunch of upsets and a perfect draw maybe? There are at least a dozen guys who would be favorites over him. He has never beaten an AA, has he?

Based on a quick count, he is 0-11 vs AAs, including those that AAd for the first time after he wrestled them. 

You theoretically don’t have to beat an AA to AA, but almost everyone does

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That would be their best line up sans Kem Dawg, and Iowa fans love to move guys around to different weights (think Brody Grothus to  141 weight class) so they will probably want to see it. 

I don't think that would be their best lineup sans Kemerer, nor do I think you'll see Iowa fans call for it. You go from having a potential finalist/solid AA in Marinelli at 165 (10-15ish pts maybe) and nothing at 174 in Wilson (this excludes the possibility of Bowman being effective at 174 which is clearly their best outcome) to having a couple of points at 165 in Brands, though he could certainly go 0-2/DNQ, and a few points at 174 in Marinelli (the best I see him doing there is 7th, and I would probably pick him to finish R12). Marinelli's strength and power are mitigated at 174 and his major weaknesses (length and scrambling) are intensified. Unless Marinelli cannot make 165, it would be incredibly stupid to bump him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alwayswrestling said:

I do not think it would be a good idea to pull Brands RS or move Marinelli up a weight at all.

Agree. I don't think Brands scores more than 2 pts at NCAAs and you likely lose more than that with Marinelli at 174 instead of 165. Plus he would have to drop back down next year anyway to make room for Kemerer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well major bummer that Kem dog is out for the year. But if I were the Brands Bros. I certainty not move the Bull up to 174. As far as Bowman dropping to 174, I know that if you look at the Hawkeyes roster he's listed at 174, but having seen his last match on T.V. the other day, he seems like he's already at his optimal weight. So, if he's asked to drop to 174, hopefully he can do it safely. 

As far as filling in the hole at 157, maybe they will have to stay with Kaleb Young who the have started in their first four duals of the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well major bummer that Kem dog is out for the year. But if I were the Brands Bros. I certainty not move the Bull up to 174. As far as Bowman dropping to 174, I know that if you look at the Hawkeyes roster he's listed at 174, but having seen his last match on T.V. the other day, he seems like he's already at his optimal weight. So, if he's asked to drop to 174, hopefully he can do it safely. 

As far as filling in the hole at 157, maybe they will have to stay with Kaleb Young who the have started in their first four duals of the year. 

I'm not sure I would call Kaleb Young a hole just yet. He's looked pretty solid so far. His worst match was against Monday who then went on to dominate a solid Zander Wick a few days later. He's tough to score on and good on top. I think he has an outside shot to sneak onto the bottom of the stand in March. 157 is not a tough weight after the top 5 which helps. He'd probably be looking a R12 match with someone like Kennedy Monday, Bleise, Early, Fox, etc... All of those guys are very beatable (and he's beaten Monday and Early soundly in freestyle fwiw).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big question, can Kemerer get a medical redshirt still and if so, how do they arrange their lineup with Nelson Brands (who is looking at potential AA status next year), Marinelli and Kemerer?

Can Kemerer keep building and go 184?

If they pull this off, Iowa could be the front runner next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boompa said:

The big question, can Kemerer get a medical redshirt still and if so, how do they arrange their lineup with Nelson Brands (who is looking at potential AA status next year), Marinelli and Kemerer?

Can Kemerer keep building and go 184?

If they pull this off, Iowa could be the front runner next year.

I don't think this has much effect on the Nelson Brands situation. I think he'll have to beat out Young at 157 to start next year. Don't see him getting past Marinelli or Kemerer. I also have a hard time seeing him being a full-sized 174. I doubt Kemerer would head up to 184 with Wilcke coming back as a senior. I'm high on Nelson, but he hasn't done anything to prove he's a major points threat at NCAAs yet. As much as I like Nelson, you don't move around two finalist contenders to get him in the lineup if he can't make 157/beat out Young.

The bigger question with Brands might be how he fits with Patrick Kennedy et. all down the road. Kennedy is a 165 and Brands looks to be a tweener between 157/165. It will be interesting to see how they shuffle 165-184 with Brands, Kennedy, Glazier, and Assad. I think Glazier is odd man out talent-wise if Brands can't hold 157 for that long, but I think Kennedy would be way more effective at 165 than 174. Ideally, they'll probably want 157-184 to be Brands, Kennedy, Glazier/Wilson, Assad, but they could run into the problem of having two really good 165 lbers and holes at 157 and 174. Glazier and Wilson could maybe be serviceable at 174, but idk who they have coming in at 157.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×