Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky_Mudflap

Tommy Brands Challenge of a Lifetime

If Brands was able to win NCAA with what you are implying is not much talent, then to an extent the rest of the field was relatively weak. To a degree this offsets how strong PSU and TOSU have been ever since. I do agree, obviously, that nobody else has beaten them but that shouldn't really by an Iowa standard. 

Not a big deal either way. 

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

If Brands was able to win NCAA with what you are implying is not much talent, then to an extent the rest of the field was relatively weak. To a degree this offsets how strong PSU and TOSU have been ever since. I do agree, obviously, that nobody else has beaten them but that shouldn't really by an Iowa standard. 

Not a big deal either way. 

I'm not saying Iowa didn't have talent.  Iowa was the behemoth for those 3 years.  They haven't been close to that mountaintop due to Penn State and Ohio State coming to life in more fertile-recruiting state, being outrecruited by both of those programs in particular (and other programs in general), and the drop off in in-state talent to recruit from.  Before SPencer, Iowa hadn't gotten a transcendent wrestler since Metcalf.  And yes, I agree, that's on Brands.  But he's making in-roads to changing that.

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I'm not saying Iowa didn't have talent.  Iowa was the behemoth for those 3 years.  They haven't been close to that mountaintop due to Penn State and Ohio State coming to life in more fertile-recruiting state, being outrecruited by both of those programs in particular (and other programs in general), and the drop off in in-state talent to recruit from.  Before SPencer, Iowa hadn't gotten a transcendent wrestler since Metcalf.  And yes, I agree, that's on Brands.  But he's making in-roads to changing that.

Ok. I basically agree with that.

The difference is Brands is being given the opportunity to "change his ways" while Zalesky wasnt. Why hasn't Zalesky "produced" out at Oregon State. Well it's the west coast. None of the West Coast schools are "producing." How much pressure is there for him to "produce" out that way? Probably not much. We'll never know how Zalesky would have done if he was given more time and given firm demands of "produce or your out."

10 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

The difference is Brands is being given the opportunity to "change his ways" while Zalesky wasnt. Why hasn't Zalesky "produced" out at Oregon State. Well it's the west coast. None of the West Coast schools are "producing." How much pressure is there for him to "produce" out that way? Probably not much. We'll never know how Zalesky would have done if he was given more time and given firm demands of "produce or your out."

Zalesky's recruiting budget at Oregon probably isn't very large. 

47 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Yea I guess you're right. Dresser did after all beat Iowa in 2016 at NCAAs.

You sure like to beat that, 1 point win due to a penalty point, drum.    I don't know if you want to hang your hat on a 1 point win in 1 season.  Especially considering they lost by 33.5 and 49.5 the next 2 seasons.....

1 minute ago, MSU158 said:

You sure like to beat that, 1 point win due to a penalty point, drum.    I don't know if you want to hang your hat on a 1 point win in 1 season.  Especially considering they lost by 33.5 and 49.5 the next 2 seasons.....

With a tradition like Iowa's, they should NEVER EVER EVER finish behind VirginiaTech.

Schools like PSU, tOSU, Iowa and OSU are not allowed to have "down years"

11 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

As for the 2016 year, yes I like to hang a hat on that, because VirginiaTech was basically gutted by Iowa yet VTech was able to over come that a beat Iowa, the most decorated college wrestling program of all time.

Interesting logic considering Brands was only there for 2 years and his recruits wanted to follow him having never actually wrestled for VTech.  Let's not act like they were a powerhouse when Brands took over.  Considering VTech got their pound of flesh by blocking a year of eligibility, I am not sure they are the victims you make them out to be.

Also, they followed Brands up with probably the best fit possible in Dresser.  He was a very successful High School coach in that area and was able to recruit and keep that program from barely missing a beat.

Edited by MSU158

18 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Notable to mention that Iowa was without a possible AA-R12 guy that was forced to medically forfeit out of the tournament that year.