Sign in to follow this  
PA-Fan

A. Alton getting burnt out?

Both Dylan and Andrew's future wrestling careers aren't looking great. I just don't see the fire in them that I do of most fierce competitors. Each has their own weaknesses that are huge, and both gas tanks are obviously blatant issues.

Andrew Alton, the 5th seed, very well could have had the pin against Loupachanski (sp?) when he put him on his back.

He finished 4th - above his seed.

Storley, Garajales (lost to AAlton), St. John, amongst many others (including Dylan Alton, who ended up with the 1 seed in the consi quarters) didn't wrestle to their seeds.

They both put up bonus points to help get Penn State into the current tied lead.

Jeez. Enough talk about their "careers" until they have wrestrled their final matches in college.

Were not talking about wrestling to seeds in the B10s. He did wrestle above his 5 seed, sure. But the point is that he was wrestling below his expectations all season and the level he should probably be at to get the 5 seed in the first place.

If you don't want to discuss this topic until he wrestles his last match in college, you are more than welcome to not comment.

You're the one questioning his desire to wrestle, more or less writing that he's done.

He's not the first to have a bad season or tournament and not wrestle to others expectations and then surprise at Nationals.

Im starting a discussion, on a discussion board, about the possible reason that he is under-performing given his expected trajectory after his freshman year showing.

I am a huge Alton fan, and am in no way saying he is done.

And once again, if you don't want to participate in this particular discussion (on the discussion board), please feel free to sit it out.

Im starting a discussion, on a discussion board, about the possible reason that he is under-performing given his expected trajectory after his freshman year showing.

Talk all you want about others expectations and trajectories - but he didn't underperform according to the criterias provided for seeding this weekend, did he?

Talk all you want about others expectations and trajectories - but he didn't underperform according to the criterias provided for seeding this weekend, did he?

I believe I already addressed that the first time you brought it up, did I not? I am not talking about him out-placing his 5 seed in the conference tournament.

If you want to start a thread praising him for doing so, go for it. That is not, however, what I am asking about here. So stop going in circles.

You're the one questioning his desire to wrestle, more or less writing that he's done.

He's not the first to have a bad season or tournament and not wrestle to others expectations and then surprise at Nationals.

If you can't accept anothers opinion get the heck out of here. I'm not hear to please you and write what YOU wanna hear. Those are my thoughts and I will stick to them OLD MARINE WRESTLER!

Well, since you got so worked up and used all of those capital letters, I guess you must be right.

Well you act like it's criminal to question Andrew. It's not just this tournament; it's all 2012-2013 that hasn't looked great. Good reason to question.

Dylan had a rough tournament, no doubt about it. He had a great year up until this weekend. I liked the way he was wrestling, and I anticipate that he is going to be much better in two weeks. Those lumping Dylan in with Andrew with "gas tank" issues aren't being fair to Dylan.

Andrew has definitely not been the same wrestler in the 2nd half of the matches as he is in the first half of the matches. He is as talented as anyone at this weight class outside of Jordan Oliver, but, something is keeping him from wrestling at the same pace for 7 minutes. He actually showed some positive signs this weekend, and he can make all of the talk this year nonsense by turning it on under the big lights in two weeks.

Dylan had a rough tournament, no doubt about it. He had a great year up until this weekend. I liked the way he was wrestling, and I anticipate that he is going to be much better in two weeks. Those lumping Dylan in with Andrew with "gas tank" issues aren't being fair to Dylan.

Andrew has definitely not been the same wrestler in the 2nd half of the matches as he is in the first half of the matches. He is as talented as anyone at this weight class outside of Jordan Oliver, but, something is keeping him from wrestling at the same pace for 7 minutes. He actually showed some positive signs this weekend, and he can make all of the talk this year nonsense by turning it on under the big lights in two weeks.

Great year? What quality wins besides James Green? Lost to guys ranked above him and below him, beat nobody above him (that I remember). It's hard to win 2-1, 3-2 all the time. No major offense.

Andrew, well, no need to really explain. 3rd period collegiate wrestling ability isn't an option; it's something you MUST have. I'm not questioning Andrew ability. He's awesome in the first 2 minutes.

Both Dylan and Andrew's future wrestling careers aren't looking great. I just don't see the fire in them that I do of most fierce competitors. Each has their own weaknesses that are huge, and both gas tanks are obviously blatant issues.

Give it a rest already dude. They probably should quit the team, right? They arent tough enough, right? For a PS fan, you can be a real debbie downer.

Great year? What quality wins besides James Green? Lost to guys ranked above him and below him, beat nobody above him (that I remember). It's hard to win 2-1, 3-2 all the time. No major offense.

Andrew, well, no need to really explain. 3rd period collegiate wrestling ability isn't an option; it's something you MUST have. I'm not questioning Andrew ability. He's awesome in the first 2 minutes.

After a slow start, I thought Dylan really started cruising. I wasn't that disappointed in his loss to St. John, as it was in Iowa, and he wrestled hard, was in deep on a shot and St. John did a great job of countering for the winning takedown. He had nice wins against Green, Demas & Winston. He also had 8 pins and 2 majors entering the tournament, so, he wasn't only winning 2-1, 3-2 all the time.

We shall see how it shakes out in two weeks, but, I won't bet against the Altons under the big lights. I think they will both out-wrestle their seeds by quite a bit.

Give it a rest already dude. They probably should quit the team, right? They arent tough enough, right? For a PS fan, you can be a real debbie downer.

Nope, sorry bro. I'm just not anal with my opinion. I feel they are under achieving for being the 2nd and 4th ranked kids out of high school, and dominating the way I used to watch them do on a weekly basis in Lock Haven. They are much better technically sound than Matthew Brown, and look what he did. Heart, determination, will, and hard work are the difference.

Do I hope they eventually prove me wrong? Your darn right.

WE ARE!

Great tournament.

Maybe the 149 lbers are too big for him. I would have bet after his freshman season he would certainly be an NCAA finalist/champion at some point...now it seems so far away.

I agree. I saw AA earlier in the season attempt his patented cement mixer and it seemed like he just couldn't horse his opponents over nearly as effectively as he did @ 141. The Altons got far with a lot of stuff that worked in high school but when it came to the elite college grind they don't seem to have enough technique or physical strength at the higher weights to fall back on.

Maybe the 149 lbers are too big for him. I would have bet after his freshman season he would certainly be an NCAA finalist/champion at some point...now it seems so far away.

I agree. I saw AA earlier in the season attempt his patented cement mixer and it seemed like he just couldn't horse his opponents over nearly as effectively as he did @ 141. The Altons got far with a lot of stuff that worked in high school but when it came to the elite college grind they don't seem to have enough technique or physical strength at the higher weights to fall back on.

This may apply to Andrew, but I've always seen Dylan as a more meat and potatoes type of wrestler. He took 3rd in the nation last year. This was a bad tournament, but I think it's unfair to lump him into the same thing as his brother. Even his gas tank issues, which he does have, are far more garden variety than Andrew potentially catastrophic.

Yeah that 3rd place national finish by Dylan at 157 as a freshman sure shows that he can't compete with the elite in college. You are right, his technique and physical strength is clearly lacking. He should quit.

Wow, Skikayaker, I usually agree with a lot of what you post but this one is just moronic.

This may apply to Andrew, but I've always seen Dylan as a more meat and potatoes type of wrestler. He took 3rd in the nation last year. This was a bad tournament, but I think it's unfair to lump him into the same thing as his brother. Even his gas tank issues, which he does have, are far more garden variety than Andrew potentially catastrophic.

Agreed with Vak. Dylan seems to be a bit higher level at this point than Andrew. Andrew is the one with the more serious issues at this point it seems. I am obviously a PSU fan, and further than that Ive been an Alton fan since there were in HS...but something is obviously up here.

I hope they both outwrestle their seeds, and eventually win Titles. But in the case of Andrew, as I stated in my original post...that seems miles and miles away right now.

You hit it on the head with AA, at least at this point in his career.

If your "go to" is a Patented Cement Mixer, you can count on not beating anyone good.

Dylan is more versatile and has good shots/finishes and is proven. He will be about where he was last year. Somewhere in the 7th seed range and I would expect him to do just fine.

agree.