Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Edge of mat stalling question

First period... guy A backs up, doesn't take a shot to guy B's many shots.  Rightly gets called for stalling.

Second period, guy A starts down.  Stands up, gets to edge of mat, stops and puts up hands up asking for stall warning and gets it!  Stalling on guy B.

Now both guys are on equal ground even though guy B is doing 99% of the work.  

Have we put too much weight on this edge of the mat stall warning?  I guess I don't know what it's called.  Return to mat priority?

Edited by headshuck

It's simple, you make new a rule with ref discretion and universally it's a bad rule.  Period.  Ref's don't want to make tough calls or decide matches so more often than not they won't call it.  As a result when they DO call it everyone is up in arms. 

Should have made it a pushout or not had the rule at all.  Too arbitrary now.

Maybe there should be a first period 2-stall-call minimum.  Force the refs to make a judgement earlier when it's obvious.   If there is one left over, give it to the other guy and move to period two.

I think freestyle has something similar.

Stands up, gets to edge of mat...

New rule: stalling shall not be called on top man while in standing position. 

(This forces bottom man to Get Creative, Get Moving and Get Out!  Lots of bottom technique available for those willing to read a rasslin' book. No more throwing your hands up asking the ref to feel sorry for you. ) 

15 hours ago, headshuck said:

Maybe there should be a first period 2-stall-call minimum.  Force the refs to make a judgement earlier when it's obvious.   If there is one left over, give it to the other guy and move to period two.

I think freestyle has something similar.

There have been close matches where the same wrestler gets called for passivity in the first and second period. It's not automatically given to the other wrestler.