Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Nick Suriano

Suriano looked really tough.  His defense is such that no one (save Spencer Lee) ever comes close to getting off a decent shot against him.  His own attacks are really precise and his re-shots are second to none.  When he gets that immediate leg turk off a takedown, forget about it.  

Yes, he can be beaten.  Micic and Fix are the two I think can.  I think Suriano is a terrible matchup for Gross the same way that he was for Phillippi.  Gross, like Micky, relies on countering shots and winning scrambles for TDs.  Suriano doesn't play the scramble game.  He finishes clean.  When he goes he finishes.  Gross won't even have the chance to scramble with him.

Micic and Fix are two guys who I think have head/hands defense and can generate shots they can finish on their feet against Suriano.  Suriano is absolutely a top 133lbs candidate to win the title this year, though.

Pletcher will be a very good matchup as well.  I think his head/hands defense and overall neutral defense is good enough to take Suriano to the wire.

He looked solid in the finals, but didn't he have a close one with Erneste (who is very tough but has not yet AA'd) in the semi finals? His re-attacks are next level, excited to see him go with Gross, Fix and Micic. 

1 hour ago, Perry said:

He looked solid in the finals, but didn't he have a close one with Erneste (who is very tough but has not yet AA'd) in the semi finals? His re-attacks are next level, excited to see him go with Gross, Fix and Micic. 

That doesn’t count, it doesn’t fit the narrative.

1 hour ago, LordNelson said:

That being said Wilson is a bad match up for him as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? Tariq had one really good tournament. Yes, he took Gross to the wire, but those takedowns came after Gross built a big lead. When Gross needed to score in OT he did. A lot of people thought Moisey had jumped levels after his freshman tourney where he convincingly beat Garrett and Gilman (both are better than anybody Tariq beat last year), but the reality was that Moisey regressed back to his typical performance heading into NCAAs. That's not a knock on Moisey because that's been a very solid career. Conel is going to have a very similar year this year if he's able to come back from injury. Perry from ODU is another example of a guy people were too high on after NCAAs, especially when he was on the transfer market. He had an amazing tournament, but was sub-500 overall and has performed much closer to his regular season results than his NCAA tournament results so far this year. Dechow is another guy that overperformed at NCAAs as a freshman and was held up as the guy that was going to challenge dean for the next 3 years. He never placed again.

Not to pile on, just curious why you think Tariq is a bad match up. I would say the opposite, that Tariq's shots from space won't be able to beat Suriano's positioning and play right into his reattacks.

You liken Tariq to Moisey/Conel to make your point that........he only had one good tournament?

I don't consider his tournament to be a fluke, but a coming out party.  

1. He doesn't wrestle for West Virginia or Kent, he wrestles for a program where guys get better yearly and jump levels when it counts

2. He has a skill set that makes him dangerous, and he is a good size 133. 

3. Suriano is a head case, and good majority of the fans will be rooting against him all tournament long.

4. If close...the in match coaching will also favor Wilson.

1 hour ago, LordNelson said:

You liken Tariq to Moisey/Conel to make your point that........he only had one good tournament?

I don't consider his tournament to be a fluke, but a coming out party.  

1. He doesn't wrestle for West Virginia or Kent, he wrestles for a program where guys get better yearly and jump levels when it counts

2. He has a skill set that makes him dangerous, and he is a good size 133. 

3. Suriano is a head case, and good majority of the fans will be rooting against him all tournament long.

4. If close...the in match coaching will also favor Wilson.

"Suriano is a head case"

Has two career losses: one to that year's eventual world silver medalist and another to a 3 time age level world champ who had one of the greatest NCAA tournaments in recent memory while Suriano was a few weeks removed from a hospital stay.

And again, people considered Moisey's tournament a coming out party as well. That's my whole point. People are often too quick to assume someone jumped levels based on one tournament.

2 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

"Suriano is a head case"

Has two career losses: one to that year's eventual world silver medalist and another to a 3 time age level world champ who had one of the greatest NCAA tournaments in recent memory while Suriano was a few weeks removed from a hospital stay.

And again, people considered Moisey's tournament a coming out party as well. That's my whole point. People are often too quick to assume someone jumped levels based on one tournament.

Last time I checked, Sorry has four career losses.

13 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Penny State’s freshman Bravo-Young  is going to surprise some folks. 

Yes, but I will delay judgement until he beats a highly ranked guy. His speed is impressive, kinda reminds me of N. Garrett  

58 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Last time I checked, Sorry has four career losses.

Only two people have defeated him in a wrestling match in which he did not have to withdraw due to injury. Is that better for you?

1 hour ago, qc8223 said:

Only two people have defeated him in a wrestling match in which he did not have to withdraw due to injury. Is that better for you?

Yeah, this is kind of misleading, or at least doesn't show the full picture, when it comes to Suriano.  he would almost certainly have a few more losses if injury didn't stop him from competing in the biggest tournaments.  No Big 10 or NCAA tournament his freshman year.  Pulls out of Big 10s last year after winning his first match.

The fact is, as great of a wrestler as he is, against guys at or near his skill level (admittedly, there aren't many), he becomes a different wrestler. He has a tendency to get tentative and stall a lot.  He didn't even attempt a real shot against Gilman until the last 30 seconds of their match 2 years ago.  He had almost nothing for Lee and actually seemed afraid to really try anything (not that I blame him, I think he realized he was in there with someone better than him who wasn't even remotely intimidated by him like most wrestlers are). And yeah, he is a bit of a headcase. 

The match with Erneste confirmed to me that he is again unlikely to be able to finish the job against the top 2 or 3 wrestlers at 133.  After Suriano escaped in the 3rd period, he stalled for 90 seconds and should have gotten dinged for it.  it looked pretty obvious to me.  The match should have gone into overtime.  I see Micic or Fix getting the better of him.

18 hours ago, gowrestle said:

He won big this weekend. Can anyone beat him?

Lots of people. Every college wrestler, D1, D2,D3 from 157-HWT, in all likelihood.

Seriously, he's pretty good. I could see him losing to Fix in the finals.

34 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

Yeah, this is kind of misleading, or at least doesn't show the full picture, when it comes to Suriano.  he would almost certainly have a few more losses if injury didn't stop him from competing in the biggest tournaments.  No Big 10 or NCAA tournament his freshman year.  Pulls out of Big 10s last year after winning his first match.

The fact is, as great of a wrestler as he is, against guys at or near his skill level (admittedly, there aren't many), he becomes a different wrestler. He has a tendency to get tentative and stall a lot.  He didn't even attempt a real shot against Gilman until the last 30 seconds of their match 2 years ago.  He had almost nothing for Lee and actually seemed afraid to really try anything (not that I blame him, I think he realized he was in there with someone better than him who wasn't even remotely intimidated by him like most wrestlers are). And yeah, he is a bit of a headcase. 

The match with Erneste confirmed to me that he is again unlikely to be able to finish the job against the top 2 or 3 wrestlers at 133.  After Suriano escaped in the 3rd period, he stalled for 90 seconds and should have gotten dinged for it.  it looked pretty obvious to me.  The match should have gone into overtime.  I see Micic or Fix getting the better of him.

I guess we will find out.  Not sure what Fix has shown this year so far that you think he gets the better of Suriano.  Suriano was never in any danger against Erneste.  And Erneste pounded Bridges 10-4, the same guy Fix could not take down.  Long season and looking forward to Suriano vs. Micic in the dual meet. 

4 minutes ago, Roadkill said:

Suriano was never in any danger against Erneste.  

They were tied 2-2 in the third before Suriano won with an escape.  I'd call that a bit of danger.

40 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

There have been 3 guys in the NCAA field that I think could have beaten Suriano the past two years: Gilman, Lee, and Tomasello. He has never been threatened by anybody else he's wrestled. My point in bringing this up is to show that the kid certainly isn't a head case as the person I quoted was claiming. He has wrestled in one NCAA tournament, making the finals by beating the returning champion. He then lost a 5-0 match to a guy that absolutely mauled everybody else he wrestled that weekend. In his finals match with lee, both wrestlers attempted one serious leg attack. Lee finished his and Suriano didn't. That doesn't show me that Suriano was afraid to try anything. In fact, from the second period on it was Suriano that was threatening more in terms of fakes and making Lee react. I say this as a die hard Lee fan and someone who really isn't into Suriano's whole schtick. I just think the analysis in a few threads on here is really bad.