Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Does Yianni deserve the #1 seed

Yianni D. was healthy enough to wrestle last week, albeit against lesser competition. He skipped Vegas, where his best competitors wrestled. His #1 seed is, of course, based on last year's results. But should he be number 1 now?

2 minutes ago, scribe said:

I wish certain conversations would stay within the relative safety and peaceful quiet of dan’s brain. 

But then we would not have the benefit of Scribe's brainless putdowns. 

Isn't arguing about seeds the main purpose of this board? 

No arguing about seeds isn't the main purpose of the board.

The main purpose of the board is to officially canonize Carl as the greatest wrestler in the history of the world.

Or to consider John Smith the GOAT when there's about 20 guys ahead of him, although they're not American, so they don't really count. lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

He isn’t near 100%. He isn’t in wrestling tournament shape yet. It would’ve been really dumb to go to an event where he would have to go against the two other best guys in the country. 

Fair point, but should he keep the seed or should he need to earn it back?

To directly answer your question, as of now he wouldn't even get a seed due to limited results, at NCAA's. Technically no one would since they have yet to wrestle enough matches. But, McKenna is definitely trending that way. 

As far as other tournaments go, that would be up to the coaches. They may still think Yianni is the best at the weight and I don't think many would disagree.....

36 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I think you, like many, miss the distinction between "Ranking" and "Seeding".  Yianni hasn't done much of anything THIS YEAR to justify the #1 seed, and besides - it was never his (NOBODY is seeded yet for NCAA's),  so he can't very well "earn it back". He still has to earn his seed this year, same as everybody else.   Some rankings may still show him ranked at #1, but that doesn't mean anything in the seeding criteria.

First official Coaches' Rankings come out, when, in February?  By then we should have a better idea where he, and others, should be.

Edited by red blades

35 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I don’t think seeds are impacted by this type of stuff, unless it happens during conferences. 

For it to be most fair, I think looking at records is best. If McKenna and Yianni are undefeated at the end of the season, look at who has the most wins vs the top guys. McKenna will won that this season assuming Eierman stays top 3ish and Yianni doesn’t wrestle him. 

9 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

For it to be most fair, I think looking at records is best. If McKenna and Yianni are undefeated at the end of the season, look at who has the most wins vs the top guys. McKenna will won that this season assuming Eierman stays top 3ish and Yianni doesn’t wrestle him. 

Agree; I think that this is how the seeding really is done, and how it should be.  This is why all of the concern about "Ducking" doesn't make sense - there may be some specific cases where avoiding a possible loss works in a wrestler's favor, but in such cases the wrestler is also avoiding a possible quality win.  I think in Yianni's case - as someone noted above - Koll knows the risks, but it is also most likely that Yianni's durability is still a bit in question.  Better to bring him back cautiously and be more sure of having him 100% in March, even if he does drop a slot or two in seeding.  In the end, either way - you prove it on the mat.

Edited by red blades

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Using the words 'deserve' and seeding by early December in a new topic is just about the dumbest thing one can do on this board, as hard as many try to do with this distinction. 

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

Yianni D. was ...  His #1 seed is, of course, based on last year's results. But should he be number 1 now?

Are you new to NCAA D1 wrestling?  Seeds are not based on prior year results.  What is his current RPI?  ;_;

1 minute ago, OBXWrestler said:

Yianni will be back for the Northen Iowa dual. So, he will wrestle Alber, Eierman and Mckenna prior to EIWAs. If he wins out, he will earn the one seed.  

Good point - and maybe Koll thought of this in deciding to hold him out of CKLV?

Good point - and maybe Koll thought of this in deciding to hold him out of CKLV?

Or maybe they decided common sense should prevail and allow him to progress sensibly for an off season surgery.

Dumb topic.

By this logic PSU guys shouldn’t get good seeds either because they’ve wrestled no one to this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk