Sign in to follow this  
LemonPie

#FireBrands?

There was a bumblebee settling on his nose and the exact moment prior to this flying insect stinging the  #1 ranked heavyweight, Coach Brands swatted the treacherous bug away! Considering that Brands is allergic to bee stings,  this was another example of Iowa’s selfless coach putting his wrestlers first. 

Well done Coach Brands!

I've learned to reserve judgment on these situations until i get the whole story. Someone will come out with a different angle and a longer clip that shows something missing from the original. Then we will get the audio after that clip. Brands could have missed or it could have been warranted. If you aren't an Iowa fan you want brands there, if they fire him Iowa could get better. Nice to see stoll back but i don't miss watching him.

1 hour ago, fullnelson said:

Dan Gable used to slap Joe Williams much harder than this little love tap before matches. (both wrestlers seeking to get fired up)

I'm fairly certain Gable had wrestlers (and possibly their parents) sign a waiver if the wrestler wanted a pre-match slap from him.  

7 hours ago, Rhackler said:

I'm fairly certain Gable had wrestlers (and possibly their parents) sign a waiver if the wrestler wanted a pre-match slap from him.  

I read that as well

11 hours ago, Perry said:

It was a pre-match slap to get still fired up. Let's not over react to nothing here

yeah but watch the video, he just won't stop!

16 hours ago, LemonPie said:

How do I get this fire started on social media?  No context necessary, just looking to get a lot of fake outrage from non-wrestling fans. 

BeFV8Yh.gif

Admittedly, I don't know which Brands this is. 

Edited by ionel

14 hours ago, fullnelson said:

Dan Gable used to slap Joe Williams much harder than this little love tap before matches. (both wrestlers seeking to get fired up)

Yes indeed.  I watched him do that.  Slapped him so hard he was shaking his hands afterwards because it was so painful.  If I remember right, Joe won the NCAA right afterwards.

mspart

22 hours ago, fullnelson said:

But Tbar doesn't remember the Gable days.  Used to smack Ironside too.

I don't think Brands will ever be fired. He's not nearly as successful as Gable, and never will be, but he brings his own stuff to the party. He's entertaining and fun. He's kinda like a modern day Barry Davis.

He is still a very good coach. Remains to be seen if the administration and supporters push him being let go for being a Top 5 team rather than the Top team. Most schools what he is doing would be more than enough - but in the shadow of Dan Gable it doesn't work. A lot like John Smith at OSU these days. Sure hope these programs don't hold on like NDSU with Bucky Maughan and have to suffer through a decade or more of chasing rather than winning.