Jump to content
Aviator12

Cassar vs Stevenson

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, pish6969 said:

Honestly I’m just happy this is a conversation. Coming into the year Gable was clear favorite in my mind, and he probably still is. I’m just grateful how Cassar has transformed himself and is even in the conversation.

If you would have told me after least season that Cassar would bump up to HWT, look like a monster, manhandle Nevills and Wood and be the clear contender to Gable, I would have said NO WAY.

Trying to think of a backup one year to finalist the next (yes I know I’m looking ahead).

Not a redshirt, a backup to finalist? I’m sure with some of the historians on this board they could name a few?

Gilman comes to mind recently but I don’t remember where he placed his sophomore year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strittmatter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pish6969 said:

Honestly I’m just happy this is a conversation. Coming into the year Gable was clear favorite in my mind, and he probably still is. I’m just grateful how Cassar has transformed himself and is even in the conversation.

If you would have told me after least season that Cassar would bump up to HWT, look like a monster, manhandle Nevills and Wood and be the clear contender to Gable, I would have said NO WAY.

Trying to think of a backup one year to finalist the next (yes I know I’m looking ahead).

Not a redshirt, a backup to finalist? I’m sure with some of the historians on this board they could name a few?

Gilman comes to mind recently but I don’t remember where he placed his sophomore year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Brown - Back up to Ruth then went 2/5/C

Edited by lu1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a backup, but some of us can remember Howard Harris moving up from 190 to Unlimited for his senior year  

He thoroughly dominated the entire year, pinning most of his opponents. 

I believe he weighed 210-215 when he won NCAA’s that year. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

Not a backup, but some of us can remember Howard Harris moving up from 190 to Unlimited for his senior year  

He thoroughly dominated the entire year, pinning most of his opponents. 

I believe he weighed 210-215 when he won NCAA’s that year. 

 

Hence more evidence that a 220 weight class is not needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So basically PSU has a shot to win the last 6 weight classes at NCAA’s (and I’m not a PSU fan)?

I think that's not unreasonable to say at this point. I'd like a few more datapoints on Rasheed against someone like Venz or Preisch but I'm pretty confident in saying the rest will be top 3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, pish6969 said:

Honestly I’m just happy this is a conversation. Coming into the year Gable was clear favorite in my mind, and he probably still is. I’m just grateful how Cassar has transformed himself and is even in the conversation.

If you would have told me after least season that Cassar would bump up to HWT, look like a monster, manhandle Nevills and Wood and be the clear contender to Gable, I would have said NO WAY.

Trying to think of a backup one year to finalist the next (yes I know I’m looking ahead).

Not a redshirt, a backup to finalist? I’m sure with some of the historians on this board they could name a few?

Gilman comes to mind recently but I don’t remember where he placed his sophomore year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Ryan Lewis  133  Minnesota was a backup to Brett Lawrence in 2001 (10 AA year for MN).  The next year he was runner up to Johnny Thompson, OSU.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 10:46 PM, Housebuye said:

I would bet Steveson. You can't put on mass and maintain cardio (just ask David Taylor). It takes time to catch up. Gable has been carrying his size for awhile now. I can't recall him ever gassing. 

It also will depend on how the match goes. If Gable can use his weight advantage and move Cassar, stuff some shots, etc Cassar will be tired. Gable has powerful hips.

I expect Cassar will try to shoot from the outside and will mostly avoid the ties. He has the speed and power to take down Gable if he can catch him stepping forward. He will have to do this more than once to win though. Gable rarely gets taken down, but heavyweights typically don't shoot like Cassar...

 

Some big guys have great gas tanks. It's the guys that bulk up really fast that have problems, they aren't used to carrying all the extra weight around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being coached by a wrestler known for his speed and timing and having top World talent in the room and OTC to train with - he may well beat Steveson with speed and mat awareness. I'm sure Cael & Co will have him prepared both physically and mentally for the match when it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Being coached by a wrestler known for his speed and timing and having top World talent in the room and OTC to train with - he may well beat Steveson with speed and mat awareness. I'm sure Cael & Co will have him prepared both physically and mentally for the match when it happens.

Just like they had Mark Hall ready for Zahid last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OBXWrestler said:

Just like they had Mark Hall ready for Zahid last year. 

They do what they can. Not every star wins every time no matter how good they are. Still think Cael & Co will have Cassar ready. Remains to be seen if he can implement the plan and win. Hope he does. Just as I hoped Snyder would win last year. Did think Snyder should have done more side to side and motion rather than as much into strength. I think it took something out of him pushing into all that bulk too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

They do what they can. Not every star wins every time no matter how good they are. Still think Cael & Co will have Cassar ready. Remains to be seen if he can implement the plan and win. Hope he does. Just as I hoped Snyder would win last year. Did think Snyder should have done more side to side and motion rather than as much into strength. I think it took something out of him pushing into all that bulk too much.

I agree with you. It is more about the implementation of the plan than whether or not they are ready because Cael and Co. are the best at getting their guys/ready and in peak form. I think Cassar has to ride Gable and has to slow the pace down. If he turns it into a shootout he will be worn down by Gable’s handfighting and having to get through his hips. I could be wrong but I don’t see it happening. Gable is too good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OBXWrestler said:

I agree with you. It is more about the implementation of the plan than whether or not they are ready because Cael and Co. are the best at getting their guys/ready and in peak form. I think Cassar has to ride Gable and has to slow the pace down. If he turns it into a shootout he will be worn down by Gable’s handfighting and having to get through his hips. I could be wrong but I don’t see it happening. Gable is too good. 

Gable may be just that good. Maybe Cassar can't beat him, but don't tell that to him because he obviously believes he can win. Like you said, it is all about the preparation and then letting the game plan unfold. If you give it your very best and still fall short, you still gave it every chance to happen. That is all anyone can ask. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ionel said:

Cassar will never beat Stevenson.

Let's revisit these successive posts in about three months.  Someone (in the two camps) is likely going to be dining on crow if the bout goes down.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×