Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Minnesota hosts Iowa - Jan 13

It's a few weeks away, but I thought I'd take a crack at it.  Looks like about 5 apiece so might come down to Steveson vs Stoll for the win.

125 - Lee dec Russell

133 - Lizak dec DeSanto

141 - McKee dec Murin

149 - Lugo dec Thorn

157 - Bleise dec Young

165 - Marinelli maj Brolsma

174 - Skatzka dec Wilson

184 - Wilcke dec Webster

197 - Warner dec Krone/Anderson

HWT - Steveson dec Stoll

Edited by headshuck

3 minutes ago, headshuck said:

It's a few weeks away, but I thought I'd take a crack at it.  Looks like about 5 apiece so might come down to Steveson vs Stoll for the win.

125 - Lee dec Russell

133 - Lizak dec DeSanto

141 - McKee dec Murin

149 - Lugo dec Thorn

157 - Bleise dec Young

165 - Marinelli maj Brolsma

174 - Skatzka dec Wilson

184 - Wilcke dec Webster

197 - Warner dec Krone

HWT - Steveson dec Stoll

don't forget the team point deductions, that could be the deciding factor

125: Lee teched Russel last time they wrestled. He will again.

133: Bad style matchup for Desanto. Maybe even a tech if he hasn't sorted out his bottom issues

141: Minn is a slight favorite. 

149: Who knows. Both guys are inconsistent. They have the ability to beat each other. 

157: Competitive match. I'll go with Young. 

165: Marinelli domination

174: Interesting match if Bowman is in. I'll pick Bowman

184: Wilcke should win

197: Warner should win easily

285: Gable will dominate, but I'll put it in the tossup category because this is just my opinion. Data doesn't quite support it (yet)

Iowa big favorites:

125, 184, 197

Minn big favorites:

None

Tossups:

Iowa should win, but I expect Minn to win at least 3 matches. Problem is, even if Minn wins 5, Iowa will very likely have bonus at 125 and 197. 

2 minutes ago, dougb said:

Why wouldn't he?  Was he injured in the match vs ISU on Saturday?

He almost didn't come out. Brands didn't want him to, but he said it was the last dual of his life with the score on the line and he wanted to go. 

Also, Stoll was held out multiple times last season. The Hemida one was clearly seed protection too, and I never accuse teams of that. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

He almost didn't come out. Brands didn't want him to, but he said it was the last dual of his life with the score on the line and he wanted to go. 

Also, Stoll was held out multiple times last season. The Hemida one was clearly seed protection too, and I never accuse teams of that. 

Yeah... and holding out against Snyder too... whatever... if he does this vs. Gable again, he'll be known as a habitual ducker, and then at NCAA's, Gable will just wreck him. 

125 - Lee maj Russell

133 - Lizak dec DeSanto (possible gas from bottom alert) (joke)

141 - McKee dec Murin

149 - Lugo dec Thorn (tossup)

157 - Young dec Bleise (tossup)

165 - Marinelli pin Brolsma

174 - Skatzka dec Bowman (I think bowman will be down)

184 - Wilcke dec Webster

197 - Warner maj Krone/Anderson

HWT - Steveson dec Stoll

looks like I have it 23 - 12 Iowa

EDIT: If stoll sits, I see it 23-16 Iowa
Edited by Witherman

15 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Yeah... and holding out against Snyder too... whatever... if he does this vs. Gable again, he'll be known as a habitual ducker, and then at NCAA's, Gable will just wreck him. 

Yep, there couldn't possibly be any other reason to hold out a guy that had 2 knee surgeries BEFORE getting shot in the knee, besides seed protection ducking...................Sheesh!!!!!

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Yep, there couldn't possibly be any other reason to hold out a guy that had 2 knee surgeries BEFORE getting shot in the knee, besides seed protection ducking...................Sheesh!!!!!

If he wrestles and remains healthy for the next 6 weeks then why wouldn't he wrestle Gable S.? He just wrestled against Iowa St. You can imagine if he wrestles Midlands and the first few Jan. duals, then sits vs Steveson, why people would see it this way. 

23 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

ahh ... last day of pheasant season?

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

This makes no sense. Stoll had nothing to lose and everything to gain seed-wise by wrestling Snyder. That was not a case of seed protection. That was a case of my highly ranked heavyweight who I desperately need in March has had the last two seasons end with ACL injuries from defending single legs from mobile heavyweights (Gwiz and Schafer) and Snyder is the most prolific low ankle attacker at the weight in recent memory. No reason to risk Stoll's knee against Snyder at that point in the season when the dual was already over.

7 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

This makes no sense. Stoll had nothing to lose and everything to gain seed-wise by wrestling Snyder. That was not a case of seed protection. That was a case of my highly ranked heavyweight who I desperately need in March has had the last two seasons end with ACL injuries from defending single legs from mobile heavyweights (Gwiz and Schafer) and Snyder is the most prolific low ankle attacker at the weight in recent memory. No reason to risk Stoll's knee against Snyder at that point in the season when the dual was already over.

Exactly why you won’t see Stoll on a mat with Gable prior to NCAAs.  Brands seems to coach scared and consequently many of his guys seem to wrestle scared.

I actually think Desanto is a bad match up for Lizak.  Lizak is a known gasser, and Desanto has look good on bottom so far this year.  Of course, Izak is a different animal on top.  If I'm Iowa, I want choice in the second and I'm choosing neutral and just hammering on Lizak's head.

125:  Lee TECH

133:  Desanto DEC

141:  McKee DEC (lean Minny)

149:  Lugo DEC (toss up though)

157:  Young DEC (lean Iowa)

165:  Marinelli FALL

174:  Bowman DEC

184:  WIlcke DEC

197:  Warner MDEC

HW:  Steveson DEC

Wow, I have this more of a blow out than I thought.  Minny could easily turn 149 and 157 around, though

1 minute ago, WF89 said:

Exactly why you won’t see Stoll on a mat with Gable prior to NCAAs.  Brands seems to coach scared and consequently many of his guys seem to wrestle scared.

They led the NCAA tournament in bonus points last year, what the eff are you talking about?

8 minutes ago, Perry said:

I am on the opposite side in the lizak/desanto match. Lizak is going to turn austin when he is on top, it's not just going to be a ride out

It very much could be.  I should have been clearer in my post.  I think Desanto will gas out Lizak.  But if Lizak gets on top early, it may end quickly.

1 hour ago, WF89 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if your first sentence turned out to be true, but your second sentence is nonsensical. Stoll has a bad history of injury and the hawks need him in March. Brands is smart to be cautious with him. It has nothing to do with being scared and the hawkeyes as a team do not wrestle scared. They were excellent at NCAAs last year as Vak noted.