Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky_Mudflap

Iowa ISU Lowdown from Mudlfap

Gents drownt my sorrows out to the club car after the meat now Tommys Purse Puppies over on that other bored saying theys all got the flu if pigs **** dollar bills them gents would be millionares but hombres that team aint strong and dont got no fite in them goes way back to that strenth and conditioning coach they hired on for $40k a year theys all muscled up but it aint wrestling strong and they flat gassed out each and every one of them guys needed a gas mask.

Amigos down on the mat afterwards buttonholed the gratest coach of the worlds oldest and gratest sport Dan Gable and some of his old hands from way back he dint say nothing just shook his head and said he sure taught Dresser rite to bad his teaching dint stick on Tommy Dresser flat outcoached him in each and every dimension strategy scouting mat coaching preparation I told you gents Dresser knew how to coach tell me on of you guys think he warnt the best coach out there and Ill call you a liar.

Hombres thanks for the kudos and laudations expecially you MSU158 and all your getting to my head with all that praise you guys took me in when nobody wanted me your like a reel family to me.

9 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

I enjoy Flap's posts but wonder why he seems to dislike Tom Brands and company?  From my perspective, he's a fine coach.  Maybe Flap just doesn't like the deference shown him by Iowa fan?

He still holds Iowa to the first place or no place expectation. He unlike most hawkeye fans hasn't lowered his standards.

11 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

He still holds Iowa to the first place or no place expectation. He unlike most hawkeye fans hasn't lowered his standards.

I don't think so.  I think his criticisms have more to do with how they're going about their business than the results.  

The problem I mainly see with the Brands Bros is they fell behind the curve.  They relied too much on Iowa talent without realizing that college wrestling today at the highest level is less about development and more about recruiting because the top kids today coming out of HS are more and more college ready.

They are figuring that out stealing Lee from PSU and bringing in Perry who is an Iowa insider but does not wrestle "Iowa style" and getting as many good PA kids as possible.  But the problem is, as good as the PA kids are, they are still 2nd tier when compared to the recruits PSU and tOSU are getting and that problem could be more geographical than anything.  OSU has been lucky with an above normal crop of good Oklahoma kids because their out of state recruiting has been lackluster of late and it doesn't help that guys like the Valencia's stayed out west.

Another problem when comparing Iowa/OSU to PSU/tOSU is money and it seems the difference is huge.  Brands and Smith are lagging here.  Think the 40k for a strength coach when PSU can throw way more than that for a director of operations and nutritionists and tutors but I'm not sure Iowa and OSU will ever be able to raise PSU/tOSU money.  East coast is not the midwest.

I agree with the first two paragraphs but I feel like the money thing is greatly overblown.  I don't want to cut and paste the whole article from Flo but the list below is the combined athletic operating budget and RTC expenses for 2015. (FLO couldn't find a form 990 for Okie state).   While I think we can look at the list and gather that money must be important to the success of a wrestling program, Iowa seems to be doing okay.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5967118-college-wrestlings-hidden-arms-race

RANK SCHOOL CLUB TOTAL EXPENSES
1 Penn State Nittany Lion Wrestling Club $2,769,822
2 Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling Club $2,689,115
3 Arizona State Sunkist Kids Wrestling Club $2,283,429
4 Ohio State Ohio Region Training Center $2,203,962
5 Missouri Missouri Wrestling Foundation $1,876,029
6 Lehigh Lehigh Valley Athletic Club $1,774,969
7 Oklahoma Sooner Wrestling Club $1,632,346
8 Michigan Cliff Keen Wrestling Club $1,627,115
9 Virginia Tech Southeast Regional Training Center $1,589,566
10 Minnesota Gopher Wrestling Club $1,537,350

58 minutes ago, tommytechnique said:

I agree with the first two paragraphs but I feel like the money thing is greatly overblown.  I don't want to cut and paste the whole article from Flo but the list below is the combined athletic operating budget and RTC expenses for 2015. (FLO couldn't find a form 990 for Okie state).   While I think we can look at the list and gather that money must be important to the success of a wrestling program, Iowa seems to be doing okay.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5967118-college-wrestlings-hidden-arms-race

Not really a fair indication of showing the gap b/w Penn State and everyone else.  Relative to the rest of college Iowa is doing well, though.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5068724-tax-forms-reveal-stunning-finances-at-nittany-lion-wrestling-club#.WYCaatMrKu4

If you take a look back to 2014, you can see when the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club became far and away the most wealthy nonprofit wrestling club in the country. In 2014, the NLWC reported $5,726,767 in contributions, ending the 2014 calendar year with net assets of $6,184,252.

Portion Of NLWC's 2014 990 Shows $5,524,538 In Contributions And Grants
null

In a vacuum, these numbers are impressive. When compared to the rest of the nonprofit wrestling landscape, the true picture is painted of just how much more money NLWC has than the rest of its peers.

2015 Net Assets Reveal NLWC Has Two Times As Much As Every Other Listed Club Combined

Club 2015 Net Assets
Nittany Lion WC 5,740,114
Hawkeye WC 699,997
Finger Lakes WC 474,964
Wolfpack WC 263,031
Carolina WC 240,572
Wildcat WC 173,287
Nebraska WTC 126,265
Lehigh Valley AC 125,163
Cliff Keen WC 116,996
Cyclone WC 116,637
Penn State WC 73,413
Southeast RTC 63,406
Missouri WF 59,572
West Point WC 53,221
Terrapin WC 47,238
Ohio RTC 43,559
Sooner WC 26,131
Badger WC 24,982
Sunkist Kids WC 17,461
Mat-Town WC 7,053

On 12/3/2018 at 4:09 PM, Kentucky_Mudflap said:

Gents drownt my sorrows out to the club car after the meat now Tommys Purse Puppies over on that other bored saying theys all got the flu if pigs **** dollar bills them gents would be millionares but hombres that team aint strong and dont got no fite in them goes way back to that strenth and conditioning coach they hired on for $40k a year theys all muscled up but it aint wrestling strong and they flat gassed out each and every one of them guys needed a gas mask.

Amigos down on the mat afterwards buttonholed the gratest coach of the worlds oldest and gratest sport Dan Gable and some of his old hands from way back he dint say nothing just shook his head and said he sure taught Dresser rite to bad his teaching dint stick on Tommy Dresser flat outcoached him in each and every dimension strategy scouting mat coaching preparation I told you gents Dresser knew how to coach tell me on of you guys think he warnt the best coach out there and Ill call you a liar.

Hombres thanks for the kudos and laudations expecially you MSU158 and all your getting to my head with all that praise you guys took me in when nobody wanted me your like a reel family to me.

You obviously don’t read the replies relative to your posts...

Right...when it comes to operating budget from their universities, it's pretty similar.

It's the other money, RTC that is the difference maker.  I also don't know much on Iowa's camps but PSU is hurting every camp in PA, including other D1 programs.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:45 PM, wrestlingnerd said:

Oklahoma stands out like a sore thumb on that list. 

I would argue that Arizona State is just as bad, with only one elite athelete to show for the expenduitures.

The downside of these arguments is that the higher-ups catch wind and shut down our sport for the tiniest reason at the lower end of D1 and D2. Please do not let this happen, and please find a way to make this post supportive..... PLEASE. PLEASE.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:05 PM, tommytechnique said:

Money isn’t everything, look at what Tim Flynn did at Edinboro all those years. 

Yeah, I think comparing ASU and Oklahoma is a bit much.

You can see a fair improvement on the program since Zeke took over.

With Oklahoma you're now seeing one individual who emerging as an AA threat. Whereas the Sundevils will more likely than not have a finalist, and 2ish other AAs - give or take 1. 

I guess I can see a pattern of building and results at ASU - even if its a bit slower than we all anticipated with the talent theyve brought in. At Oklahoma though it just seems like theyre constantly struggling. 

Edited by iGranby