Jump to content
Old Corps

Hands to the Face Penalty - New Emphasis

Recommended Posts

I don’t like it. 

Watching various matches over the weekend, I saw several guys get hit with this penalty for simply being heavy on the other guys’s head (in a legit way).

In almost every instance, right after the red awarded the penalty point, one or both wrestlers made the same “hands to the face” type of move within 10 seconds or so and the ref didn’t call it. 

The new emphasis placed on this seems hostage to subjectivity from ref to ref. 

I don’t condone ill-intentioned poking of the eyes, punches to the face, etc., but I didn’t like what I saw last weekend. 

Am I missing something on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't believe how much hands to the face I was seeing from CKLV. Why don't the referees do something? For that matter I've been seeing a lot of lousy reffing this season even outside that tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 11:36 AM, silverback said:

I might be in the minority but I like the new rule.  There has been a lot less eye pokes since they have been enforcing it.  Simply put, stay away from the face.

I like it.  It's about time we got rid of the Iowa slap in the face, push & shove style and back to real wrestling.  With football penalizing hands to the face (and they wear helmets) along with targeting rules there's no reason it should be tolerated in wrestling.  There's no need for it, it's not good technique. 

Edited by ionel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 11:32 AM, Soonerfan said:

It’s absolutely horrible!! It’s freakin wrestling!!! If you don’t like hands in your face then get the dang takedown!! It’s gonna decide the outcome of big matches!!

 

No it's not. That faceslapping **** has to go.

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 8:45 PM, Old Corps said:

I don’t like it. 

Watching various matches over the weekend, I saw several guys get hit with this penalty for simply being heavy on the other guys’s head (in a legit way).

In almost every instance, right after the red awarded the penalty point, one or both wrestlers made the same “hands to the face” type of move within 10 seconds or so and the ref didn’t call it. 

The new emphasis placed on this seems hostage to subjectivity from ref to ref. 

I don’t condone ill-intentioned poking of the eyes, punches to the face, etc., but I didn’t like what I saw last weekend. 

Am I missing something on this?

Seriously?  Disadvantage to operate with an eye-poke or neck-jam. Getting jammed in the face discourages leg shots and slows the game down. Not to mention the potential for chronic injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the college teams that adjust or have adjusted already are going to be at an advantage. I don't think the adjustment is easy though. I'm sure many of these kids have been posting on the head since middle school and now they need a new way to hand fight. The guys the can bang in close where they are not in danger of touching the face benefit from this.

I'm lukewarm on my support for the rule. I think they went a little heavy on the emphasis when cutting down on the blatant offenses could have done the trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posting up on the top of the head above the face is not a penalty, it is when it is on the face itself. At least that is my understanding of the rule. 

Edited by Zebra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Posting up on the top of the head above the face is not a penalty, it is when it is on the face itself. At least that is my understanding of the rule. 

Technically, roughly a triangle outlined by the eyebrows and chin. Forehead ok but difficult to keep hand from bending and base of palm hitting eyebrows especially if opponent is moving in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Technically, roughly a triangle outlined by the eyebrows and chin. Forehead ok but difficult to keep hand from bending and base of palm hitting eyebrows especially if opponent is moving in.

Well technically are not all rules technical? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zebra said:

Posting up on the top of the head above the face is not a penalty, it is when it is on the face itself. At least that is my understanding of the rule. 

That is correct, but you don't control the tilt of your opponents face. Posting is an invitation to get the call. I would guess coaches are "encouraging" their wrestlers to not do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ching said:

I'm lukewarm on my support for the rule. I think they went a little heavy on the emphasis when cutting down on the blatant offenses could have done the trick.

Totally disagree, calling it everytime is the only way to remove subjectivity.  Otherwise it becomes fleeing the mat, OOB action, etc where the calls vary and no ref wants to call it at the end of matches when it'll decide it. 

It absolutely sucks how many points are being given up, but that also shows how often people do it.  They KNOW they are going to give up a point but they can't stop themselves.  Growing pains year one but likely for the best long term

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ching said:

That is correct, but you don't control the tilt of your opponents face. Posting is an invitation to get the call. I would guess coaches are "encouraging" their wrestlers to not do it.

If I have the bottom of my palm on the guys forehead and he tilts his head up high enough for this to become a penalty I'm just going to shoot sine he's clearly looking up and not at me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BadgerMon said:

Seriously?  Disadvantage to operate with an eye-poke or neck-jam. Getting jammed in the face discourages leg shots and slows the game down. Not to mention the potential for chronic injuries.

Read what I wrote. 

I don’t condone any illegal activity. 

I was troubled by seeing refs call this penalty inconsistently. 

I saw some call it when a wrestler posted on the head or pulled heavy on the side of the head to move his opponent, and then saw the very same activity allowed seconds later. 

My beef isn’t against the rule, it’s about getting the refs to have a common definition of what is and is not legal and then call it consistently among them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×