Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

100% Bonus Rate

This has never been done. This season, we have a chance to see it. I decided to start this now, as many guys have seen ranked opposition, so the list is much shorter than it was prior to CKLV.

I don't recall the record, but I believe Cael had a season with only 2 non bonus points matches. In 2012, David Taylor went 32-0 with only 2 non bonus points wins (93.75%)

Will we see an undefeated wrestler with a 100% bonus rate? This list is NOT comprehensive, but I'd like it to be. 

Gross: 1-0

Marinelli: 5-0

Nolf: 7-0

Bravo-Young: 6-0 (mediocre competition)

Spencer Lee: 4-0

Yianni: 3-0 (mediocre competition)

Cenzo: 7-0

Rasheed: 7-0

Nickal: 6-0

Montaya: 4-0

Nick Lee: 8-0

Let me know if I missed anyone. I'm sure I did.

Do you think someone will pull it off? Even guys like Zahid and Myles Martin aren't at 100%, and we are only just getting into the season. I would think Nolf and Lee have the best chance, given their skills vs. the competition. Both had losses last year (Nolf was injury related, but for a stat like this, that matters). Lee bonuses through NCAAs besides the final, which is rare itself. He demonstrated he can bonus the best guys in the country. Nickal has a shot, but going against bigger guys plus a potential challenger in Moore suggests this may not happen. I'm not counting him out. Yianni I expect to not bonus McKenna or Eierman. Cenzo has a stacked weight. I don't think anyone else remains undefeated, so they would be eliminated.

adding criteria

have to wrestle at least 15 matches in a season (the point is consistency, not 1 or 2 tournaments) 

Edited by Housebuye

More or less agree with your assessment.  Nolf and Lee are the two that have a chance, although it's obviously unlikely.  

Deakin, Hidlay, Pantaleo, and maybe Berger could avoid a major.  Nolf should see all of those guys (except Hidlay) prior to Big 10's.  

If Lee wrestles like he did vs. Mackall, there are a decent number of guys that could avoid bonus.  If he's at full strength, the only guys with a chance are probably Bresser, Rivera, Picc, and maybe Fausz.  And there's no guarantee he runs into Bresser or Fausz.  

Per WrestleStat starters only

Spencer Lee

Rico Montoya

Nick Suriano

Roman Bravo-Young (WS bonus at 83% - inj default is not a bonus in WS system)

Yanni Diakomhalis

Nick Lee

None

Nolf

Vincenzo Joseph

Alex Marinelli

None

Shakur Rasheed

Bo Nickal

None

Throughout the weight classes several starters are still at 0-0 so theoretically, they still could but most of those people were pretty far down the ranking list and I would expect it to be highly unlikely. I also saw a few wrestlers with losing records but were at 100% bonus. Kind of interesting to be a 4-6 with 100% bonus.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

This has never been done. This season, we have a chance to see it. I decided to start this now, as many guys have seen ranked opposition, so the list is much shorter than it was prior to CKLV.

I don't recall the record, but I believe Cael had a season with only 2 non bonus points matches. In 2012, David Taylor went 32-0 with only 2 non bonus points wins (93.75%)

Will we see an undefeated wrestler with a 100% bonus rate? This list is NOT comprehensive, but I'd like it to be. 

Nolf: 7-0

Bravo-Young: 6-0 (mediocre competition)

Spencer Lee: 4-0

Yianni: 3-0 (mediocre competition)

Cenzo: 7-0

Rasheed: 7-0

Nickal: 6-0

Montaya: 4-0

Nick Lee: 8-0

Let me know if I missed anyone. I'm sure I did.

Do you think someone will pull it off? Even guys like Zahid and Myles Martin aren't at 100%, and we are only just getting into the season. I would think Nolf and Lee have the best chance, given their skills vs. the competition. Both had losses last year (Nolf was injury related, but for a stat like this, that matters). Lee bonuses through NCAAs, which is rare itself. He demonstrated he can bonus the best guys in the country. Nickal has a shot, but going against bigger guys plus a potential challenger in Moore suggests this may not happen. I'm not counting him out. Yianni I expect to not bonus McKenna or Eierman. Cenzo has a stacked weight. I don't think anyone else remains undefeated, so they would be eliminated.

Lee almost got bonus points in each match at last year's NCAAs

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

Per WrestleStat starters only

Spencer Lee

Rico Montoya

Nick Suriano

Yanni Diakomhalis

Nick Lee

None

Nolf

Vincenzo Joseph

Alex Marinelli

None

Shakur Rasheed

Bo Nickal

None

Throughout the weight classes several starters are still at 0-0 so theoretically, they still could but most of those people were pretty far down the ranking list and I would expect it to be highly unlikely. I also saw a few wrestlers with losing records but were at 100% bonus. Kind of interesting to be a 4-6 with 100% bonus.

Thanks. Added Gross and Marinelli. 

For the metric I’m using, you have to be undefeated to be counted.

It is interesting that there are guys who only win by bonus but also lose quite a bit. 

15 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Thanks. Added Gross and Marinelli. 

For the metric I’m using, you have to be undefeated to be counted.

It is interesting that there are guys who only win by bonus but also lose quite a bit. 

used to have plenty of guys like that in HS....headlock type guys...if they caught a guy they'd pin 'em if not they often times lost. 

Housebuy, I get it which is why I did not include the guys I saw who were not undefeated but had 100% bonus wins. I just thought it was a cool thing to run across. 

I know the WS Starters option does not include injured wrestlers and while Gross is expected back, it's just he's not in the lineup right now. 

I think Lee has a good chance as well but at same time the fact that be 'barely' got bonus in last match just shows how hard it is to do. And yes I know he's either feeling the flu effects or kidney stones or something but that's the point....hard to be 100% across a long season thus making it very hard to bonus all the way through.

I think a couple of the guys on the lost are no longer on there after CKLV.

Regarding Lee, while I think Lee will beat them handily, I can definitely see Rivera and Bresser avoiding bonus.

43 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

I think Lee has a good chance as well but at same time the fact that be 'barely' got bonus in last match just shows how hard it is to do. And yes I know he's either feeling the flu effects or kidney stones or something but that's the point....hard to be 100% across a long season thus making it very hard to bonus all the way through.

Agreed

if Lee was in there against a top 20 guy and gassed like that, he would not have bonus points. He may have even lost. 

At his best, Lee can bonus everyone. Problem is, nobody is 100% all the time and the season is long. That’s why even Cael couldn’t pull this off

2 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

I think a couple of the guys on the lost are no longer on there after CKLV.

Regarding Lee, while I think Lee will beat them handily, I can definitely see Rivera and Bresser avoiding bonus.

I did it after CKLV because I knew it would eliminate a bunch of guys. 

That is a really tough task but I agree that Nolf and Lee both have a shot (Nickal with a slight chance). These guys are the most talented on the list and they both have relatively weak weights. 

Bonus is fine. Still don't like Tech Falls - they pin or they wrestle a full match. Always the chance the guy piling up points gets pinned while playing stay away takedown games.

Bigger question is who ends up with the most Pins for the year.

How is INJ DEF not bonus?  He stepped on the mat & scored more than a regular decision for the team.

Edited by lu_alum

No offense, but almost all those guys have been wrestling creampuffs so far. When the big boys start butting heads the bonus % will drop for nearly all of them.  In the end it'll only be Nolf/Bo (I'm a big fan of Cenzo, but he's not gonna maintain that pace against the best in the Big 10) in the running for the Nittany Lions, Lee for Iowa, and maybe Zahid for ASU.

Jason Nolf will win the Hodge this year. He's by far the most dominant in his weight class. Bo is great, but he's moved up a weight and I bet a few of those bigger boys keep him to a decision. Lee is very dominant, but I think 125 has a few guys he won't be able to tech at will.

Edited by TobusRex

11 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

No offense, but almost all those guys have been wrestling creampuffs so far. When the big boys start butting heads the bonus % will drop for nearly all of them.  In the end it'll only be Nolf/Bo (I'm a big fan of Cenzo, but he's not gonna maintain that pace against the best in the Big 10) in the running for the Nittany Lions, Lee for Iowa, and maybe Zahid for ASU.

Jason Nolf will win the Hodge this year. He's by far the most dominant in his weight class. Bo is great, but he's moved up a weight and I bet a few of those bigger boys keep him to a decision. Lee is very dominant, but I think 125 has a few guys he won't be able to tech at will.

For sure. The list was way worse prior to CKLV though. 

It will be fun to update this week to week as guys start facing better opponents 

39 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

ASU is wrestling PSU, so Zahid bonusing HAll is a tall order.  And he would most likely have to bonus him twice this year.