dmm53

Howard commits to . . .

Did Rutgers have a shot at getting Howard, did they recruit him hard?

Another loss of a top NJ wrestler to a school other than RU.  Granted they've made great strides over the years but their recruiting is fair at best.  Lucky Ashnault wanted to stay right down the road from home and Suriano coming back home was a gift.  

They have 2 AA's this year and maybe 1 or 2 more.  They're going to get rolled in their big10 matches.

I'm a  fan and pull hard and admire the work put in thus far but tired of seeing them lose out on the best NJ wrestlers.  And they're not even landing the McFadden's, Lewis, etc - solid AA contenders.  They need at 5-6 solid AA's to compete in b10 and finish 4,5,6 spot.

31 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Minus the hue and cry, of course. 

I think it goes without saying that the issue most people have with Penn State's run is what I referred to in my post; they get so much ridiculous talent that it's basically a foregone conclusion that they will win. I was thinking that after Nolf/Nickal/etc. graduates things would level out a bit but I just don't see it happening, some other blue chipper will get plugged in, and the cycle gets repeated. 

I wish there was some footage of their practice room. The stuff that goes on in there must be just unreal with all those guys going at it. Honestly, the day to day activity in that room is probably better than anything from any tournament throughout the year, nationals included. 

1 minute ago, Husker_Du said:

over the last decade Ohio St. has the same average recruiting class rank as PSU.

Yet somehow Ohio State can't put it together. Penn State seems to excel most at staging their guys at each weight so that just when one animal graduates, the next one is ready and slots right in with seemingly no significant downgrade.  Their timing with getting guys into the lineup is unreal.

9 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

I think it goes without saying that the issue most people have with Penn State's run is what I referred to in my post; they get so much ridiculous talent that it's basically a foregone conclusion that they will win. I was thinking that after Nolf/Nickal/etc. graduates things would level out a bit but I just don't see it happening, some other blue chipper will get plugged in, and the cycle gets repeated. 

I wish there was some footage of their practice room. The stuff that goes on in there must be just unreal with all those guys going at it. Honestly, the day to day activity in that room is probably better than anything from any tournament throughout the year, nationals included. 

That is exactly what it was like when Iowa won their 9 in a row. 

22 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

This is all likely accurate. 

Good for Penn State. Yep, I'm a Sanderson fan. He came into the school and suddenly they are Title contenders. It is his coaching - with a lot of credit to his staff. The kids buy into what he is feeding them and it works.

A full slate of top talent is harder to coach than many believe - a lot of stars thinking they are the one deserving all the attention. Hard to keep a group like that pulling together rather than getting jealous of each other. In a lot of sports "all star" lineups just don't perform as well as people expect. Somehow Sanderson & Co are getting his guys to do a good job of it.

Hope they keep it up.

31 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Good for Penn State. Yep, I'm a Sanderson fan. He came into the school and suddenly they are Title contenders. It is his coaching - with a lot of credit to his staff. The kids buy into what he is feeding them and it works.

A full slate of top talent is harder to coach than many believe - a lot of stars thinking they are the one deserving all the attention. Hard to keep a group like that pulling together rather than getting jealous of each other. In a lot of sports "all star" lineups just don't perform as well as people expect. Somehow Sanderson & Co are getting his guys to do a good job of it.

Hope they keep it up.

It looks to me like Cael coaches a lot of guys up. They arrive really good, and he makes them even better. They win big matches, they win big duals even against some long odds (see tOSU last year) and they win team titles. The constant rips from opposing fans seems almost counterproductive for them at this point. 

Edited by TBar1977

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

over the last decade Ohio St. has the same average recruiting class rank as PSU.

Taking an average of the compiled recruiting rankings is a misleading way to judge quality of recruits. Much better is to take the starting lineup of each team and look at the wrestler's overall recruit rank.  Also, look at the number of cadet/world medals won by a recruit prior to joining the team.  

4 hours ago, custom fitch said:

Penn State is starting to get dull to be honest. I'm not sure if there has ever been a college sports program that was able to recruit so much blue chip talent, its a bit ridiculous.  

Uconn women’s basketball says hi

52 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

It looks to me like Cael coaches a lot of guys up. They arrive really good, and he makes them even better. They win big matches, they win big duals even against some long odds (see tOSU last year) and they win team titles. The constant rips from opposing fans seems almost counterproductive for them at this point. 

I'll agree with you, except that beating Ohio State was long odds. At least in my mind. I had a feeling Penn State would wrestle slightly above their capability on paper, and Ohio State would wrestle slightly below theirs. 

Most of the guys in that practice room have no direction to go but up, based on the competition they face in it every day and the variety of knowledge and skills guys of this caliber can share with each other but what I would want to know is how they manage stay so injury free wrestling each other every day. Penn State guys just seem to be freakishly healthy almost all the time.

2 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

I'll agree with you, except that beating Ohio State was long odds. At least in my mind. I had a feeling Penn State would wrestle slightly above their capability on paper, and Ohio State would wrestle slightly below theirs. 

Most of the guys in that practice room have no direction to go but up, based on the competition they face in it every day and the variety of knowledge and skills guys of this caliber can share with each other but what I would want to know is how they manage stay so injury free wrestling each other every day. Penn State guys just seem to be freakishly healthy almost all the time.

I only said long odds because Nolf was out and the prevailing thought among the so called experts is that tOSU could/would win. It took an upset on paper for PSU to pull it out. Personally, I always believe they will win. They'll eventually drop one but until shown otherwise they are the smart bet. 

When do the tickets go on sale?

17 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Sure, but simply taking an average of recruiting class rankings over the course of a decade isn't the best predictor of success.  For a number of reasons. 

I liked your article though, good work on that one.