dmm53

Howard commits to . . .

25 minutes ago, WF89 said:

It’s always fun to see Carl coach up the marginal talent he gets.

I don’t understand why people needs him to get subpar talent to give him credit. Isn’t it his job to get the best talent out there. That’s like telling nick saban to only recruit 2 star kids or he’s a terrible coach. I don’t get the logic. 

Man, that scramble with Mininno is sick!  TWO talented dudes!
That's what stood out for me ..... Two awesome talents. Choosing to recruit one over the other would be tough based on that match.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Perry said:

Howard outright states the coaching staff at penn state is better. That's gotta sting iowa fans a little bit

Once the time came though, the choice was Penn State. Howard is making his commitment just a few days after a home visit from Cael Sanderson. His camp felt very strongly that PSU's coaching style would mesh well with how Robbie currently trains and prepares himself for matches.

Howard is aware of the success Iowa has had under coach Brands, which only made the commitment more difficult. It wasn't so much a matter of good or bad when it came to the coaches recruiting him, but rather which staff he felt was better for him.

I wasn't gonna make the decision based solely on workout partners. It was gonna be a combination of a lot of things. Penn State has a better coaching staff, Iowa's got a better track record of lightweights, so something's gotta give.

So, is this why Busiello decided to go to ASU? What does this mean for Teasdale (who always seems to be a 133lber?? 

Personally, I think Cael and Co. have moved on from Teasdale. Even though it pains me to say that because I was high on him coming out of HS. 

125 Teske 

133 Howard 

141 RBY 

pretty salty. 

45 minutes ago, OBXWrestler said:

So, is this why Busiello decided to go to ASU? What does this mean for Teasdale (who always seems to be a 133lber?? 

Personally, I think Cael and Co. have moved on from Teasdale. Even though it pains me to say that because I was high on him coming out of HS. 

125 Teske 

133 Howard 

141 RBY 

pretty salty. 

Gavin is one giant question mark at this point. He didn't look quite as good his senior year as he had in years past either which can lead one to speculate on a lot of things. But he said on social media that he plans to be back at Penn State next season. While I am a little skeptical about that, I have nothing to lead me to believe otherwise other than rumors. So who knows. Either way, he's too talented to stay off the mat for too long so I hope he works out whatever his problems are and gets back soon wherever it may be.

He's a guy who during his prep years I thought was a sure-fire 4x AA and title challenger with possible world teams in his future. 

12 hours ago, swoopdown said:

That's what stood out for me ..... Two awesome talents. Choosing to recruit one over the other would be tough based on that match.

Was thinking the same thing.  As a  small college coach, I would look for guys like Mininno; the big schools would scoop up all the Howards--I kept an eye out for the guys who pushed them but fell short of the title--lots of upside in those kids.  Usually very hungry to prove themselves.

13 hours ago, swoopdown said:

Minnino was a senior and is now at Drexel. He has taken a few lumps so far, but he is a true freshman in a stacked weight. I imagine he will improve as the season goes on. 

Reading the Iowa forum turning on Howard right after the commitment is pretty funny. 

I was obviously hoping he went Hawks, but I am not too disappointed. Something seemed off, .. and I could be totally wrong on that.

We don’t have a great track record with attention whores. Deuces.

told some prior to his committing that I didn't think he was going to be as good as some think he is--not that he's not a good wrestler--he is, but not what some are celebrating and thinking. I truly said that and might be wrong, but I think we will be ok. PSU will howl and they should, they got a good athlete, but again, I don't think we missed on Teske and I don't think Howard will be as good as currently projected. If I'm wrong, so be it and good for him, but I felt the same when we were recruiting him and I would have felt the same if we had gotten him. The Youth Olympics is not a deep tournament, they invite like 6 athletes per weight and it's not based on ranking, but countries.

20 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I think his style will translate very well to college from the clips i've seen of him. On tape he looks like a superstar prospect. Who is ranked above him on the 2020 list?

Dustin Plott and AJ Ferrari