210edmendoza

Brace for elbow dislocation

Has anyone here ever dislocated an elbow and then wrestled with a brace after being medically released? I'm trying to find the best elbow brace out there that will protect with the least amount of hindrance!  My ortho has speculated a 6 wk return but with a brace.If you have any thoughts please share! Thanks!

41 minutes ago, 210edmendoza said:

Has anyone here ever dislocated an elbow and then wrestled with a brace after being medically released? I'm trying to find the best elbow brace out there that will protect with the least amount of hindrance!  My ortho has speculated a 6 wk return but with a brace.If you have any thoughts please share! Thanks!

I lost my Jr year due to a dislocated elbow I suffered about 3 weeks before regionals.  That was a huge blow to me, I was really coming along strong at the end of that year.

I hope you find a brace to help you, but when my injury occurred (1981) there was nothing that would help me. That said, you should concentrate on recovery until you are better, not wrestling. Your wrestling career will only last a few years, no matter how good you may be, but you'll have to live with that elbow the rest of your life.  On the other hand you might be good enough to wrestle one-armed and still win (I certainly wasn't that good). Randy Lewis finished 7th at NCAAs one year with a dislocated elbow.

This is my sr yr in high school! My dislocation was described as the best type to have due to me suffering no other damage. Ortho said if I was playing football he could have me back in 3-4 weeks but since its an integral part of wrestling it will be closer to 6!

2 hours ago, 210edmendoza said:

This is my sr yr in high school! My dislocation was described as the best type to have due to me suffering no other damage. Ortho said if I was playing football he could have me back in 3-4 weeks but since its an integral part of wrestling it will be closer to 6!

Good luck. Would suck to lose your last year in HS

I had an elbow injury that required surgery.  I was probably out closer to six months but only used an elbow pad when I returned to wrestling.  I may have just used a youth kneepad- I can't really remember.  Although it provided some support, my larger issue was that my arm would go numb when I hit my elbow hard.  The padding helped prevent that.