Sign in to follow this  
jeffrideal

Clarion 1973

I assume they were not ranked in the team score because they were NCAA D2.  But what would have been their score?  And also, what  were the rules from preventing a D2 school from winning the D1 tournament if they were allowed to compete.  https://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA 1973.pdf

Pretty incredible.  I did a bunch of camps at Clarion in the 70's and 80's as a kid.  It seems like Bubb was one of the visionaries of summer wrestling camps (at least in the east). 

Edited by jeffrideal

From “The History of Collegiate Wrestling”, by Jairus K. “Boomer” Hammond...

“Iowa State won its fourth team title in five years by finishing with 85 points and two individual champions. Oregon State was second with 72-1/2 points, the best finish ever for a West Coast school. Clarion as a College Division school was not included in the team scoring, but it would have finished fourth with 54-1/2 points, just behind Michigan. The Eagles’ extraordinary performance was indicative of a tournament full of upsets. Just four first seeds reached the finals, one more than the number of unseeded wrestlers. The four top seeds won titles, along with three fourth seeds, two sixths, and an eighth.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

I assume they were not ranked in the team score because they were NCAA D2.  But what would have been their score?  And also, what  were the rules from preventing a D2 school from winning the D1 tournament if they were allowed to compete.  https://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA 1973.pdf

Pretty incredible.  I did a bunch of camps at Clarion in the 70's and 80's as a kid.  It seems like Bubb was one of the visionaries of summer wrestling camps (at least in the east). 

according to linked article they would have finished 4th with 57 and 1/2 points.

https://www.si.com/vault/1973/03/19/576518/when-the-eagles-crowed

not sure what the qualifying standard was, but the guys who placed ahead of Rohn at the lower division tourney were seeded 1 and 5 at the big dance (Rohn was 8 seed). Neither placed though, both out in blood round. Rohn knocked off the 1 seed along the way to his title.

edit - my mistake, those guys were knocked out in what would be the blood round now, back then they only placed top 6 so each would have needed to win twice more to place. 

Edited by KTG119

After a quick search, it looks like they only had 4 guys competing and 3 won. They had a UNL who lost his pigtail. 

Seeing this and reading something about Haselrig on FB last week got me thinking, I'd love to see a list of all the non-D1 guys who won an NCAA D1 title. I didn't even realize Clarion wasn't always D1 so these 3 would make that list. 

Edited by PSUMike

Divisions 1-2-3 didn’t become a thing until the early 70s. There were “college” and “university” divisions but even before the three-division format, the “university” division was basically open, so you’d have to really define what “non-D1” really means. In some cases, schools were dual affiliates of the NCAA and NAIA and wrestled both tournaments (contrary to the myth that the NAIA champ “qualified” for “D1”) in that era.

I’ve got that info, it’s just a manner of presenting it properly.

12 hours ago, Gantry said:

Very interesting stuff - so Don Rohn takes 3rd in D2s at 134 and first at D1s?  That crazy...    Did top3 at D2s qualify for D1s?

While at Lehigh, I recall a conversation with one of the retiree-volunteers who worked the desk at the fitness center.  He said he was talking to Rohn's dad prior to the D1 championships, which were in Washington.  He asks Rohn's dad if he's looking forward to going to Seattle to see the Donny wrestle.  Rohn's dad says something along the line of...  "Nah... Donny's only a freshman and it's pretty far away.  We'll go next year when he has a better chance and it's closer."  Turns out that Rohn only won in his Frosh year.

11 hours ago, lu_alum said:

While at Lehigh, I recall a conversation with one of the retiree-volunteers who worked the desk at the fitness center.  He said he was talking to Rohn's dad prior to the D1 championships, which were in Washington.  He asks Rohn's dad if he's looking forward to going to Seattle to see the Donny wrestle.  Rohn's dad says something along the line of...  "Nah... Donny's only a freshman and it's pretty far away.  We'll go next year when he has a better chance and it's closer."  Turns out that Rohn only won in his Frosh year.

Maybe his negative dad not being there helped him.

On 12/12/2018 at 6:07 AM, Coach_J said:

Bob Bubb--great man.  Had the pleasure of working with him on the NWCA Board for several years.  Very selfless, self-effacing, generous with his time.

Interesting that Tom Brands credits Bob Bubb as one of the guys that helped him get the job at Virginia Tech.  He calls him the Clarion Guru at the 2:35 mark.  https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6261290-lehigh-vs-iowa-2018-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6293177&limit=60

Edited by jeffrideal

1 hour ago, jeffrideal said:

Interesting that Tom Brands credits Bob Bubb as one of the guys that helped him get the job at Virginia Tech.  He calls him the Clarion Guru at the 2:35 mark.  https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6261290-lehigh-vs-iowa-2018-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6293177&limit=60

I was the NAIA rep for the NWCA--basically, I was a nobody.  Bob Bubb, though, always treated me with great decency and respect and made sure I was part of the group.  He was always concerned about what was best for the sport as a whole, not what he could personally get out of his position.  I remember one year everyone on the Board discussing what could be done to reward Bob for all his effort, which was immense; Rich Lorenzo said it perfectly:  "I know Bob.  He won't take anything for himself."  (Lorenzo--another great guy.)

6 hours ago, Coach_J said:

I was the NAIA rep for the NWCA--basically, I was a nobody.  Bob Bubb, though, always treated me with great decency and respect and made sure I was part of the group.  He was always concerned about what was best for the sport as a whole, not what he could personally get out of his position.  I remember one year everyone on the Board discussing what could be done to reward Bob for all his effort, which was immense; Rich Lorenzo said it perfectly:  "I know Bob.  He won't take anything for himself."  (Lorenzo--another great guy.)

Casey Cunningham had some nice words regarding Rich Lorenzo today in his newsletter to the PSWC. He even attached a link at the end to the article about Lorenzo's induction into the Wrestling Hall of Fame where additional nice comments can be found. 

In closing, I also want to bring some attention to Coach Rich Lorenzo who has meant a ton to us and to Penn State Wrestling and his induction the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. There is no doubt in our minds Penn State would not be the program it is today without his guidance and leadership. We have only really known Coach Lorenzo for about 10 years but he has treated us like family from the moment we arrived here as a staff. He has always been willing to offer advice if we ask but has tried to stay in the background. We try to pick his brain any chance we get and personally I really enjoyed our early morning talks over coffee and diet coke for the first couple of years we were here. As a staff we have all learned a ton from him and will continue to do so as long as he allows us to. With that congratulations to Coach Lorenzo and his Hall of Fame induction.

https://gopsusports.com/news/2018/11/20/wrestling-nwhof-induction-a-fitting-capstone-to-rich-lorenzos-legacy.aspx?path=wrestling

Edited by TBar1977