Sign in to follow this  
Crash

Yariguin—Official Program Posted

The last I checked a few weeks ago, this was not yet posted on the UWW website.

Nothing surprising in there, but a few things that were questions have now been confirmed.

1. The event is in fact staying in late January.

2. Wrestlers will have to make scratch weight with no allowance on both days.

3. Weigh-ins are 2.5 hours before competition begins on day 1. On day 2 they are 2.75 hours before the repechage begins.

4. Interestingly, weigh-ins on day 2 are almost 10 hours before the finals. I assume bronze matches will be wrestled with the finals but cannot tell from the program.

It will be interesting to see how the new process will affect which wrestlers change weights and how this all affects their performance.

It’s such a GD shame that the IOC only has 6 weights which effectively forces many wrestlers to compete at an unnatural weight. And bc of the way many countries, including the US, choose their team, this affects things for 2 full years, at least.

This is so ridiculous that I support the crazy notion to pull wrestling out of the Olympics and just have Worlds every year.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/2018-12/infos_01_krasnoyarsk.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I hope happens:

57kg:  Gilman gets back out there.  I'd love to see Lee go, but I don't think Brands is as lenient as Ryan.

61kg:  Colon!  A nice followup to the WC... keep it going brotha!  I'd love to see Fix go, but I don't think Smith is as lenient as Ryan.  Maybe NaTo?  Midlands as the "test run"?  Then Yarygin?

65kg:  Zain, Stieber, Oliver... all three need to go... we can only hope they don't meet 1st/2nd rounds.

70kg:  Green, Molinaro... (Hey Cael, let Nolf go just for ****s n' giggles)

74kg:  Burroughs, Imar?

79kg:  Dake!  Ringer!  (Hey Cael, let Marky Mark go!  Also... love to see Zahid out there scrappin')

86kg:  Taylor of course...  Heflin?  Downey?  Can Reenan go to make the trek?

92kg:  Cox, Kollin Moore?  This could very well happen.  Much closer weight class to in-season AND, a Ryan guy.  If Snyder did it, why can't Moore?

97kg:  Snyder.  I don't really care about anyone else at this point from USA.   Gadson?  Sure... he may win a match.

HWT:  Gwiz!  Coon!  Gable!  Make it happen!

This is the first time in a long time that we could theoretically pick a current collegian that you would want to see go, and be competitive, and nearly every weight class.  

This is a fantastic tourney, and one that as many of our guys need to participate in, as possible.

What I hope happens:

57kg:  Gilman gets back out there.  I'd love to see Lee go, but I don't think Brands is as lenient as Ryan.

61kg:  Colon!  A nice followup to the WC... keep it going brotha!  I'd love to see Fix go, but I don't think Smith is as lenient as Ryan.  Maybe NaTo?  Midlands as the "test run"?  Then Yarygin?

65kg:  Zain, Stieber, Oliver... all three need to go... we can only hope they don't meet 1st/2nd rounds.

70kg:  Green, Molinaro... (Hey Cael, let Nolf go just for ****s n' giggles)

74kg:  Burroughs, Imar?

79kg:  Dake!  Ringer!  (Hey Cael, let Marky Mark go!  Also... love to see Zahid out there scrappin')

86kg:  Taylor of course...  Heflin?  Downey?  Can Reenan go to make the trek?

92kg:  Cox, Kollin Moore?  This could very well happen.  Much closer weight class to in-season AND, a Ryan guy.  If Snyder did it, why can't Moore?

97kg:  Snyder.  I don't really care about anyone else at this point from USA.   Gadson?  Sure... he may win a match.

HWT:  Gwiz!  Coon!  Gable!  Make it happen!

This is the first time in a long time that we could theoretically pick a current collegian that you would want to see go, and be competitive, and nearly every weight class.  

This is a fantastic tourney, and one that as many of our guys need to participate in, as possible.

I expect to see some guys change weight classes due to the 2 day scratch weigh-in.

Don't expect any college wrestlers to compete.  Snyder was an unprecedented case that went into the season with a clear-cut schedule already outlined to incorporate international competition (or rather, incorporate breaks in his international schedule to accommodate some NCAA competition).  Nobody currently competing in the NCAA fits that bill.

Yep, traveling to a different continent in the middle of your college season, ESPECIALLY for seniors who are in their last semester trying to get a degree, ESPECIALLY to travel to Siberia, is not conducive towards your collegiate goals.  Heck, even Synder lost to Coon shortly after coming back.  Both world champ Lewis' from U23 didn't look as good as expected upon returning, it's just a really tough adjustment...

Also,  isn't each delegation only allowed to bring one wrestler per weight? I remember something in the past year or two about Russia ignoring the rules and entering three  guys in some weights. 

Jason B should be able to confirm, but I’m pretty confident we can send more than one to this event at any given weight.

4 hours ago, Gantry said:

Yep, traveling to a different continent in the middle of your college season, ESPECIALLY for seniors who are in their last semester trying to get a degree, ESPECIALLY to travel to Siberia, is not conducive towards your collegiate goals.  Heck, even Synder lost to Coon shortly after coming back.  Both world champ Lewis' from U23 didn't look as good as expected upon returning, it's just a really tough adjustment...

Hidlay just lost to Early too coming off u23s. This is definitely a real thing.

Nobody is saying that it can't be a positive experience for the people attending.  But given the last couple years of data, a case can be made that attending U23's can be a detriment to your college folkstyle season, which I can safely say every wrestler considers way more important.    Not a single person attending U23s would rather win that than NCAAs, and if more and more people who go struggle when they get back, I think you'll see less big names throwing their hat in the ring.

45 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Nobody is saying that it can't be a positive experience for the people attending.  But given the last couple years of data, a case can be made that attending U23's can be a detriment to your college folkstyle season, which I can safely say every wrestler considers way more important.    Not a single person attending U23s would rather win that than NCAAs, and if more and more people who go struggle when they get back, I think you'll see less big names throwing their hat in the ring.

I dunno… I'd have to think a few would consider competing, and potentially medaling/winning Yarygin to be greater than NCAAs (well... because... umm... it is).  

I think Kollin Moore, especially at 92kg, is a super intriguing concept.  Not too far from 197lbs, has consistently medaled now at back to back age level WC's, and has Snyder, his primary training partner, already going at 97kg.  If I were Kollin, it would be "worth it" to make that trip.  

I totally get your point about the others.  But I think Kollin has a potentially different scenario lying before him.  

Snyder was a unique situation. I can’t see other coaches/AD’s agreeing to letting scholarship athletes take a couple weeks off in the middle of the season to go compete in Siberia.

21 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I dunno… I'd have to think a few would consider competing, and potentially medaling/winning Yarygin to be greater than NCAAs (well... because... umm... it is).  

I think Kollin Moore, especially at 92kg, is a super intriguing concept.  Not too far from 197lbs, has consistently medaled now at back to back age level WC's, and has Snyder, his primary training partner, already going at 97kg.  If I were Kollin, it would be "worth it" to make that trip.  

I totally get your point about the others.  But I think Kollin has a potentially different scenario lying before him.  

Apologies I was making my previous statement about U23's because you brought up Hidlay.   Yarygin is a different beast, and while I would still argue a collegiate would rather win NCAAs (folkstyle is still king in their minds),  it's definitely debatable.  While I'd love to see Moore throw his hat in there, I don't blame him if he doesn't.  He has exponentially higher odds of going 0-1 than winning it, with or without Sad at his weight.  It's a much longer trip, with MUCH worse odds of medaling than U23s for any collegiate.  Kudos to anyone who does, but the risk/reward is probably too low...

Edited by Gantry

On 12/12/2018 at 9:08 PM, Gantry said:

Apologies I was making my previous statement about U23's because you brought up Hidlay.   Yarygin is a different beast, and while I would still argue a collegiate would rather win NCAAs (folkstyle is still king in their minds),  it's definitely debatable.  While I'd love to see Moore throw his hat in there, I don't blame him if he doesn't.  He has exponentially higher odds of going 0-1 than winning it, with or without Sad at his weight.  It's a much longer trip, with MUCH worse odds of medaling than U23s for any collegiate.  Kudos to anyone who does, but the risk/reward is probably too low...

I don't know, the guys competing in these tournaments have olympic aspiration, I'd be very surprised if you asked that question, which would you rather have a world title or an ncaa title, I cannot believe down the line all of those athletes would say NCAA title.  I don't know that folkstyle is king in their minds, but more so a means to an end.

I don't know, the guys competing in these tournaments have olympic aspiration, I'd be very surprised if you asked that question, which would you rather have a world title or an ncaa title, I cannot believe down the line all of those athletes would say NCAA title.  I don't know that folkstyle is king in their minds, but more so a means to an end.
Would you rather wrestle some of the best competition in the world or would you rather win an age group folkstyle title?

The best of the best wrestlers will be in Siberia, while the others are looking for riding time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I am talking about a Yarygin title, not a world title.