KTG119

Gavin Teasdale update

43 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think some of the earlier articles also mentioned about him no longer being listed in the student directory (public info).   Although not sure if it was noted when the last time he actually WAS listed was.

For S&G, just checked now and did see this (assuming there isn't another Gavin Teasdale):

Name: Gavin L Teasdale 

Title: Counselor/Coach 
Administrative Area: Athl Rec Serv & Support 
Department: SPORT CAMPS 
Campus: Penn State University Park 

That's from the Summer Camps.

15 hours ago, justafan said:

As a freshman you need 24 credits your first year to be eligible your 2nd year.A maximum of 18 credits can be taken in 1 semester and  9 credits over the summer.

How can someone only take 18 credits per semester?  I knew several people that took 21 hours per semester and I took 24 hours my last semester.  Now I did have to receive special permission from the Dean of the Business School if I or anyone else wanted to take more than 21 hours per semester.  I spoke with an All-American wrestler from The United States Military Academy and he said that he never took less than 21 hours per semester during his four year career.  

Edited by Bryan

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

How can someone only take 18 credits per semester?  I knew several people that took 21 hours per semester and I took 24 hours my last semester.  Now I did have to receive special permission from the Dean of the Business School if I or anyone else wanted to take more than 21 hours per semester.  I spoke with an All-American wrestler from The United States Military Academy and he said that he never took less than 21 hours per semester during his four year career.  

You only need 12-14 or so (depending) to be considered full time. In the right college of a university you can definitely do that every semester and graduate on time (with summer classes I'm sure). I gotta think that so long as you're a full time student, attaining the required GPA, and are on track with your graduation plan and eligibility clock then you'd be good to go. 

Obviously we're talking about athletes here - but if you're not an athlete, or on scholarship/financial aid, etc you could take even just 1 class/3 credit hours a semester. I dont believe theres a minimum credit hour requirement at most schools if youre willing to pay out of pocket. 

Meh I dunno, it's all still very vague. Sanderson likes to employ a good deal of subterfuge and it makes me wonder if something else is going on. Notice how he said Teasdale "COULD" rejoin the team, "Teasdale is planning on wrestling 125", etc. Nothing definite and all very open ended. He reminds me of a buddy of mine, whose response generally is, "It's a possibility..." when you attempt to plan a get-together or event. He doesn't provide the definite answer until his options have been thoroughly analyzed and until then he will not give you any hints.  

We all know that Sanderson excels at 1) keeping his actions / motives murky; 2) keeping his options open; 3) getting and keeping his kind of guys; 4) getting rid of guys that don't fit his team ideal; 5) generally screwing over other teams. My initial thought when Teasdale left the team was that he was done with Penn State for good and I still wouldn't be surprised if he never finds his way into the lineup. 

On 12/13/2018 at 9:06 AM, Bryan said:

21 per semester for 4 years? So well over 160 credits for an undergraduate degree?  I hope for that number of credits he got 2 degrees.

Many undergrad degrees only require 125-130 credits, which can be comfortably done with 16-17 credits a semester.  

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

6 minutes ago, custom fitch said:

5) generally screwing over other teams. My initial thought when Teasdale left the team was that he was done with Penn State for good and I still wouldn't be surprised if he never finds his way into the lineup. 

Could you be more definitive and specific? Kinda vague here.

Kinda funny how your criticize someone for not being specific enough, yet you employ the same tactic. 

30 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Could you be more definitive and specific? Kinda vague here.

Kinda funny how your criticize someone for not being specific enough, yet you employ the same tactic. 

Not a criticism at all, I think the guy is a genius at roster and personnel management. The "screwing over other teams" comment was more of a tongue in cheek reference to the perception that when Cael wants a certain guy, he usually gets him (Teasdale included).  

1 hour ago, custom fitch said:

Meh I dunno, it's all still very vague. Sanderson likes to employ a good deal of subterfuge and it makes me wonder if something else is going on. Notice how he said Teasdale "COULD" rejoin the team, "Teasdale is planning on wrestling 125", etc. Nothing definite and all very open ended. He reminds me of a buddy of mine, whose response generally is, "It's a possibility..." when you attempt to plan a get-together or event. He doesn't provide the definite answer until his options have been thoroughly analyzed and until then he will not give you any hints.  

We all know that Sanderson excels at 1) keeping his actions / motives murky; 2) keeping his options open; 3) getting and keeping his kind of guys; 4) getting rid of guys that don't fit his team ideal; 5) generally screwing over other teams. My initial thought when Teasdale left the team was that he was done with Penn State for good and I still wouldn't be surprised if he never finds his way into the lineup. 

He got Andrew Long a couple times.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

He got Andrew Long a couple times.

Yes he did.  The guys on his recent teams seem to be pretty squeaky clean compared to most other teams. Of course there are always exceptions, i.e. Long, and Ed Ruth and his DUI, etc. Who knows where Teasdale falls on this scale; for that matter who really knows exactly what he did in the first place.    

Pat Downey took like 27-30 credits each semester for about 7 years haha 

On 12/13/2018 at 12:17 AM, 1032004 said:

I think some of the earlier articles also mentioned about him no longer being listed in the student directory (public info).   Although not sure if it was noted when the last time he actually WAS listed was.

For S&G, just checked now and did see this (assuming there isn't another Gavin Teasdale):

Name: Gavin L Teasdale 

Title: Counselor/Coach 
Administrative Area: Athl Rec Serv & Support 
Department: SPORT CAMPS 
Campus: Penn State University Park 

I googled "Gavin L. Teasdale" and the only other one that came up lives at Livingston Road 23, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom YO127LH.  His phone number is 01723365073, so I gave him a call.  That Gavin told me that he's never enrolled at Penn State. He also added that he hates the Nittany Lions, but is a big Lehigh fan -  said to tell lu_alum "hello."

Looks like you've solved the mystery and our Teasdale has indeed re-enrolled at Happy Valley.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Manville isn’t very good at folk. I hope he sticks to Greco. 

Yeah he really hasn't shown much in his limited collegiate folk career.  Chavez from Cornell started out in a somewhat similar fashion: strong greco background, saw very little action his 1st two years, and then last year made AA. Biggest difference may be that Cornell actually needed Chavez to step up last year and I'm not sure where/when Manville can crack the Penn St line-up. I am very interested to see how he does at Scuffle.   

I went to college on the GI Bill after serving as an enlisted Marine. Had to take 12 credits to be considered full-time for GI Bill money and NCAA eligibility. 

I took summer classes, which enabled me to have only 12-14 credits most semesters. Life was good and I had a blast during college.

I graduated in four years and went back into the Marine Corps as an officer. 

Smart planning and scheduling are important in all aspects of life!

22 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Press release from Cael Sanderson regarding the scuffle states Teasdale has not yet enrolled for the spring semester.

I like Sanderson’s quote about Teske - “the plan was to have him wrestle before this, but it hasn’t worked out for whatever reason.”  He sounds like a themat.com poster and not the HC of the team

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

One from Penn State or one borrowed from a local high school?

Seems the redshirt is off. I winder if Cael figures he has no idea if Teasdale will make four years so he might as well use his eligibility while he has him.