Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

How can another school overtake PSU and OSU?

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

On the topic of sleeping giants...

Before Cael moved to PSU, the state of Pennsylvania produced more AAs than any other state, but did not have a national-champion caliber college program.  All that changed after Cael moved there.

I'm not sure there are any similar sleeping giants right now. Maybe Illinois, Cal Poly, or Rutgers? 

Isn't Pitt the most likely candidate. A school that has no excuse for not to being awesome. 

7 minutes ago, Katie said:

On the topic of sleeping giants...

Before Cael moved to PSU, the state of Pennsylvania produced more AAs than any other state, but did not have a national-champion caliber college program.  All that changed after Cael moved there.

I'm not sure there are any similar sleeping giants right now. Maybe Illinois, Cal Poly, or Rutgers? 

Each of these have some issues...

Rutgers is always going to struggle to attract out-of-state talent... and despite its improving academic profile, there's a stigma attached to the name in the Northeast.  It would take a serious culture shift to bring them to the forefront.   Maybe Burroughs? Their focus is going to be on trying to improve their football and basketball programs, first.  

Public universities in Illinois are tied to the State, and the State financially is an absolute mess.  They're suffering across the board in virtually every sports program.  Hard to pour money into athletics, and especially fringe athletics, on a shoestring budget.  

Cal Poly is too much of a specialty school, academic barrier is pretty difficult... never going to happen. 

10 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Isn't Pitt the most likely candidate. A school that has no excuse for not to being awesome. 

Yeah, tons of talent in western PA.  But with the rise of OSU and PSU, it'll be a bit tougher these days to build a team there.

2 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Each of these have some issues...

Rutgers is always going to struggle to attract out-of-state talent... and despite its improving academic profile, there's a stigma attached to the name in the Northeast.  It would take a serious culture shift to bring them to the forefront.   Maybe Burroughs? Their focus is going to be on trying to improve their football and basketball programs, first.  

Public universities in Illinois are tied to the State, and the State financially is an absolute mess.  They're suffering across the board in virtually every sports program.  Hard to pour money into athletics, and especially fringe athletics, on a shoestring budget.  

Cal Poly is too much of a specialty school, academic barrier is pretty difficult... never going to happen. 

I don't know anything about Cal Poly. Is it hard to get into? Is it some sort of agricultural school?

It seems like CA has a lot of quality wrestlers. Hopefully a public CA university can step up for them.

Just now, Katie said:

I don't know anything about Cal Poly. Is it hard to get into? Is it some sort of agricultural school?

It seems like CA has a lot of quality wrestlers. Hopefully a public CA university can step up for them.

It's a public university, part of the California State University System.  It's a tech school (Poly stands for Polytechnic), so the general focus is engineering, science, architecture, etc.  They have a good business program too, but in general that's the focus.

It's fairly difficult to get into, not quite on the level of a Northwestern, Michigan, Virginia, but just below that level.  Average ACT score for them last year was 30, which is quite high for a public university.  

2 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

It's a public university, part of the California State University System.  It's a tech school (Poly stands for Polytechnic), so the general focus is engineering, science, architecture, etc.  They have a good business program too, but in general that's the focus.

It's fairly difficult to get into, not quite on the level of a Northwestern, Michigan, Virginia, but just below that level.  Average ACT score for them last year was 30, which is quite high for a public university.  

Yeah, that's enough to make an elite wrestling program very difficult.

For California public universities, I guess that leaves CSU Bakersfield and Fresno State (which just got its program back). 

Just now, Katie said:

Yeah, that's enough to make an elite wrestling program very difficult.

For California public universities, I guess that leaves CSU Bakersfield and Fresno State (which just got its program back). 

Yeah, unfortunately both of those schools are among the "ugly ducklings" in the ladder of California public universities.  

If we're looking for a California university that could be a power... there's the obvious ones: USC, UCLA, Cal Berkeley.  But those are also elite academically, which could be a hurdle.  I think perhaps more realistically, I'd look at San Diego State. 

On 12/13/2018 at 12:04 PM, Chrissn2001 said:

I think PSU's recruiting momentum has slowed down a little bit.  There's a bunch of PA kids ranked ahead of PSU kids who are wrestling at other schools.  There's also a lot of uncertainty outside of Nolf, Cenzo, Hall, and Nickal.  Once these guys are gone, the gap should close some.  

Wasn't that the thinking the last time around?  Wait'll Taylor and Ruth graduate.  Well, PSU has a whole new crop coming in who will be subject to the same development pipeline that gave you Quentin Wright, David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Nico Megaludis, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Mark Hall, and Bo Nickal... 

The next generation will be RBY, Nick Lee, Berge, Aaron Brooks, Brody Teske, Teasdale, Beard, Joe Lee, another Nevills, Manville, Robert Howard, Starocci...etc etc. Rinse and repeat.

It's the recruiting AND the development.  Their staff (Cael, Cody, Casey, Varner) is about as good as it gets.

Edited by panewbie1

32 minutes ago, panewbie1 said:

Wasn't that the thinking the last time around?  Wait'll Taylor and Ruth graduate.  Well, PSU has a whole new crop coming in who will be subject to the same development pipeline that gave you Quentin Wright, David Taylor, Ed Ruth, Nico Megaludis, Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, Vincenzo Joseph, Mark Hall, and Bo Nickal... 

The next generation will be RBY, Nick Lee, Berge, Aaron Brooks, Brody Teske, Teasdale, Beard, Joe Lee, another Nevills, Manville, Robert Howard, Starocci...etc etc. Rinse and repeat.

It's the recruiting AND the development.  Their staff (Cael, Cody, Casey, Varner) is about as good as it gets.

Nope. According to another board its recruiting, illegal funding, coaching ONLY by Casey, and genetics. These kids come in ready to win NCAA titles. Cael has nothing to do with PSU's success. The broom in the janitors closet could do just as good a job if it had those resources to work with. (Obviously being sarcastic here)

21 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Yeah, unfortunately both of those schools are among the "ugly ducklings" in the ladder of California public universities.  

If we're looking for a California university that could be a power... there's the obvious ones: USC, UCLA, Cal Berkeley.  But those are also elite academically, which could be a hurdle.  I think perhaps more realistically, I'd look at San Diego State. 

California needs to do something for its wrestlers. It's a shame.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Bakersfield used to be a Power, they won lots of Division 2 Titles and if Division 2 Schools could score at Division 1 they would have been top 5-6 several times in the 70's-80's and in mid 1990's they were 3rd in the team title Division 1  (Division 2 Wrestlers were allowed to compete in NCAA Division 1 Championships, but not allowed to score team points) They had excellent Wrestlers The Cuestas Brothers, Azevedo, Jesse Reyes, Darryl Pope, Marvin Jones, Rich Bailey, Junior Saunders, Eric Middlestead, Stephen Neal and more.