Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Penn State vs Arizona State

17 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

If Zahid weighed in at 174, I doubt it.  But if he weighed in at 184, I think he probably could. 

I strongly disagree. If they weighed the same I would say Zahid might beat him. If Nickal had a 13lbs weight advantage I would say Nickal absolutely wins.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I strongly disagree. If they weighed the same I would say Zahid might beat him. If Nickal had a 13lbs weight advantage I would say Nickal absolutely wins.

You are probably right.  I'm sure I was relying a little too heavily on their freestyle match-ups

What are thoughts on Millhoff bumping up to 133 to take on RBY?

I noticed some on BWI saying that it would be too much of a disadvantage to weigh in at 125 and give up 8lbs to RBY. I hope people realize that Millhoff could weigh in at 133 with a scratch weight of 129ish and still have enough time via the descent plan to get back down to 125 for Midlands...

I remember thinking about this last year when Gross weighed in at 133 and bumped up to wrestle Meredith. The descent plan would have allowed Gross to weigh in at about 1lb above 133 and still have enough time to drop back down for the next match (3 days later). It was established that Gross was going to wrestle 141. Why didnt he and Bono just have him weigh in at 141 being a little over 133. The extra hydration/food could have helped his performance.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I think that ASU only does it if it gives them a chance.  Depending on where they start the dual it will probably be a match by match decision.   I think RBY wins though.  I have watched a few of his matches.  He is insanely quick, creative and seems freakishly talented.  I had never saw him wrestle before this year.  He is impressive.   

Watching Milhoff the past two years, he's looked like a small 125 pounder. RBY was at 138 in high school, so safe to assume he's every bit of a maxed out 133. Other than for the fans sake, I can't see any benefit to ASU for giving up what looks to be a win at 125 for the sake of the matchup. A more interesting bump might be Courtney at 133. He probably gave RBY his toughest match in high school losing by two in OT his senior year. However, he's probably not as solid at 133 as Kliene is.

35 minutes ago, westfan said:

RBY was at 138 in high school, so safe to assume he's every bit of a maxed out 133. 

Do not make that assumption as in AZ nobody could challenge him within 15 pounds of his natural weight. He could have been at 126 in HS and still win at 138. 

He could still be a solid 133 but not necessarily a "maxed out" 133. 

Cael needs to call Wisconsin and talk with his old friend Chris Bono. Get him to work with Hall over the Holidays. Bono was short and beat most everyone. Hall, compared to Valencia is in the same boat relative to size. Working with Bono a bit would help Hall in his approach to this competitor.  Doubt it will happen but do think it would be worth it. Maybe later in Freestyle?

52 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Do not make that assumption as in AZ nobody could challenge him within 15 pounds of his natural weight. He could have been at 126 in HS and still win at 138. 

He could still be a solid 133 but not necessarily a "maxed out" 133. 

He could’ve won every weight up to 160 I think his senior year. 

50 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Cael needs to call Wisconsin and talk with his old friend Chris Bono. Get him to work with Hall over the Holidays. Bono was short and beat most everyone. Hall, compared to Valencia is in the same boat relative to size. Working with Bono a bit would help Hall in his approach to this competitor.  Doubt it will happen but do think it would be worth it. Maybe later in Freestyle?

Is Hall that short for 174? 

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

He could’ve won every weight up to 160 I think his senior year. 

While I agree with your sentiment 160 is a bit of a stretch. At some point physical size becomes a barrier and talent is trumped. Or crunched may be more appropriate.

I will say in AZ it is very common for a talented wrestler to move up 1, 2, or even 3 weight classes if it helps the team. There is usually a huge drop off in talent after the top 2-3 in any weight. 

As someone that doesn't know a thing, IMO if Hall stays in the counter/defensive style he can't beat ZV. Sometimes you have to throw someone else's game back at them. I would love to see Hall go after ZV. Likely won't happen, but I would like to see it.

I don't know about Milhoff - Courtney battles either. They didn't wrestle in the Maroon and Gold match. Courtney didn't fare to well against some mediocre competition at the SEIU open. I'd have to guess he's not close to being able to beat Milhoff.