Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Penn State vs Arizona State

What's with mark hall always benefiting from poor officiating? He should have been pointed for his head clubs and zahid defintely should have gotten an escape. Bad officiating all night (though hall should win that match even if the ref didn't suck)

One club.
He was on his way to stalling but Z forced a bad shot.
Can’t take away from Hall but that match only tells the story of last night, nothing more.

The ref May have comedown from row 7 and taken off his We Are sweatshirt before the dual but he didn’t really impact the match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBY is looking somewhat nolf-esque. I think he is a legit title contender if he has any bottom game.  I don’t see him finishing below anyone besides Gross, Fix, Suriano, and/or Micic and I think he can beat all 4. 

I credit the official. Great non call in the most anticipated match when the score was 0-0. The official talked to them and got them under control and the rest of the match was clean. 

I think everyone gets too caught up in trying to predict every match. Just enjoy the wrestling. I am a PSU fan but fully understand that this match doesn’t mean much. Ziahd is a great wrestler and this match will not have an effect on his confidence. Z still leads the lifetime series vs Hall and is capable of winning again in March. Didn’t Z ride Mark “like a mule” also. As a fan I am looking forward to their next great match.  Also, the turning point was that Hall hip pop to both get Z out of scoring position and set up his re-attack. Reminded me of Nate Carr’s hip pop, difference being Nate’s was significantly more powerful and would throw opponent back on their heels. 

RBY is better than I thought and seems to be improving with each match. Excited to see him against the top 4 in the weight class, especially vs Micic and Fix because all 3 are fast and have quite a broad range of slick attacks. 

And, we are all fortunate to watch Nolf. Credit to his smart opponent who knew exactly when to bail out or score would have been much worse. Might be new trend for Nolf opponents, I hope not though. Nolf doesn’t look strong but he must be crazy strong. 

Regarding Hall vs Zahid, the reason I predicted a Zahid blowout was as much because of the way Zahid wrestles. He’s just so dynamic. I felt like Hall has a certain bag of tricks and Zahid has learned to shut them all down. I haven’t watched the match yet, can’t wait to see it. 

As a general rule, true freshman take their lumps. As for RBY in particular, we'll see how things pan out.  He looks great already, and I expect him to improve as the season moves forward.

133, of course, is TOUGH this year: Gross, Micic, Suriano, Wilson, Fix, Phillippi, Pletcher, Lizak, etc.  It'll be fun to see how RBY stacks up with those athletes.

My personal opinion is that RBY has all the tools to be a future world medalist. But when it comes to this year, I don't know what to expect.

14 hours ago, dougb said:

Imagine how good they would be if he could coach?   Maybe he could pick up a few books on teaching wrestling?

(SARCASM)

Good point.  Plus you can pick up some great books and correspondence courses at used book stores and flea markets. They're cheap and a coach can learn everything he needs from them. 

Image result for antique wrestling book by e c gallagher   Image result for farmer burns wrestling lessons       Image result for antique wrestling book by e c gallagher     Image result for antique college wrestling book by e c gallagher    Image result for antique college wrestling book by e c gallagher

11 minutes ago, Crash said:

Source? Detail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to recall after winning in the 2017 NCAA semis Mark Hall saying that this was the first time he ever beat Zahid, thus implying previous matches in which he lost. Now if that's the case and they are currently 2-2 in college that would mean Zahid leads the series in lifetime matches. 

13 hours ago, WF89 said:

I don’t want to burst your bubble, but Wisconsin will probably never do better at NCAA’s under Bono than they did with Davis.

Do you mean they will never beat the 4th place finish in a single season or they will not average a better placement?