Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Gilman quote from Worlds evaluation

When asked about the young guys coming up in the US

"I'm focused on beating the Russians, the Iranians, the (pause)....folks from Japan"

I chuckled.
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/December/13/Thomas-Gilman-visits-USA-Wrestling-for-World-Team-evaluation

Love this guy. Yogi Berra type comments.

"When I say we, I mean me, myself and I."

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm meh about him overall, but I do like the fact that he's setting his sights higher than beating the locals.  In some weights, our guys seem to focus so much on winning the #1 spot they show nothing at Worlds and Olympics.  I know, I know, you have to win the spot first, I get it, but if that's your driving motivation and you achieve it, how much do you have left to refocus on what should be the main objective?

Cocky self-confidence needs to give way to calm self-less confidence.  

It happens with the great figures in sports, politics, art, and other areas.  

But it is very rare.

Gilman is too tethered to his tiny world organized around the conscious grasping ego.  

Most folks learn this lesson late   . . . too late.

Wake up, Thomas.

18 hours ago, dmm53 said:

But it is very rare.

Gilman is too tethered to his tiny world organized around the conscious grasping ego.  

Wake up, Thomas.

This is mumbo-jumbo bull****... and since Gilman has already been more successful at his chosen profession than you have in any aspect of your life I am going to go ahead and say that we should listen to him and not you.

10 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

This is mumbo-jumbo bull****... and since Gilman has already been more successful at his chosen profession than you have in any aspect of your life I am going to go ahead and say that we should listen to him and not you.

And your response is synonymous with one that one would expect from the movie Idiocracy.  But... Brawndo's got what plant's crave... It's got electrolytes.  

Your logic is just as flawed as you claim the other poster's logic to be.  

Gilman's gonna be Gilman... wrestling skills NO ONE can doubt... however, success on the mat has varied relationships with success(es) off the mat.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, Lurker said:

When asked about the young guys coming up in the US

"I'm focused on beating the Russians, the Iranians, the (pause)....folks from Japan"

I chuckled.

Gilman should be focused on the young guys coming up in the US.  57kg is Spencer Lee's weight as soon as he decides to compete for it. 

15 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

See bold section above... you specifically took it "off the mat" by interjecting "any aspect of your life", which by default, includes "off the mat".  

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

See bold section above... you specifically took it "off the mat" by interjecting "any aspect of your life", which by default, includes "off the mat".  

I think the Fish has a good point. He's comparing someone who frequents message boards vs a world class athlete and realizes there is no comparison. I would explain the math to you, but I'm not sure you would get it.

But it is very rare.
Wake up, Thomas.

You should consider grounding your bed.

11 minutes ago, Ching said:

I think the Fish has a good point. He's comparing someone who frequents message boards vs a world class athlete and realizes there is no comparison. I would explain the math to you, but I'm not sure you would get it.

Oh wow... How right you are.  Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to respond to little old me.  Ive been feeling so lost... And I never did make it past algebra... So... Wowzers!

Thomas Gilman’s chosen profession is wrestling and in the two years he has done it full time he has been the second best and fifth best in the world at his chosen profession.

I don’t know what dmm’s chosen profession is but I’m betting he isn’t in the top 5 in the world at it right now. Why should we value dmm’s opinions on what will make Thomas great more than we value Thomas’ opinion? I read his post, thought it was mumbo jumbo BS, and gave my opinion. Seriously, what does it even mean? The conscious grasping ego? Give way to calm self-less confidence? And then what? 

And this isnt saying dmm shouldnt chime in because he’s a not world level wrestler. I just think Thomas Gilman knows a little bit more about the subject than him.

Was the original post even meant to be about some supposed slight on up and comers (whom Giman has been complimentary of) or his choice of words "... folks from Japan." (considering his past supposed gaffe)

I think some of us may have missed the point of the OP.

Edited by AHamilton

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Was the original post even meant to be about some supposed slight on up and comers (whom Giman has been complimentary of) or his choice of words "... folks from Japan." (considering his past supposed gaffe)

I think some of us may have missed the point of the OP.

Yes, thank you.  My chuckle was because of his choice of words, due to not wanting to butthurt the overly sensitive folks out there again.

On 12/16/2018 at 3:36 AM, dmm53 said:

But it is very rare.

Wake up, Thomas.

I get the feeling that you didn't listen to the interview.  What I heard in the interview wasn't an immature athlete exhibiting "cocky self-confidence," but rather an athlete with a process-oriented focus that's committed to trying to become the best in the world.  

Gilman is simply saying that his focus can't just be on staying one step ahead of Lee and Fix, and instead must be on challenging and keeping up with the best wrestlers internationally.  That suggests the opposite of a "tiny worldview" to me.  

24 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I get the feeling that you didn't listen to the interview.  What I heard in the interview wasn't an immature athlete exhibiting "cocky self-confidence," but rather an athlete with a process-oriented focus that's committed to trying to become the best in the world.  

Gilman is simply saying that his focus can't just be on staying one step ahead of Lee and Fix, and instead must be on challenging and keeping up with the best wrestlers internationally.  That suggests the opposite of a "tiny worldview" to me.  

Was thinking exactly the same thing.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:45 AM, Frank_Rizzo said:

Gilman should be focused on the young guys coming up in the US.  57kg is Spencer Lee's weight as soon as he decides to compete for it. 

Don't know if that's true. Freestyle is a different animal. Turns won't come as easy against Gilman or Fix. Spencer is undersized compared to these guys.

2 hours ago, bp2xbw said:

Don't know if that's true. Freestyle is a different animal. Turns won't come as easy against Gilman or Fix. Spencer is undersized compared to these guys.

Spencer's leg lace is pretty incredible - I am looking forward to seeing how well he can use it on the senior level - I think he is going to tech a lot of good wrestlers with it.