Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

another DI program on the way

Maybe start lobbying State Legislators in the States that do not have a D1 program to get it going at the Flagship school?

Not having the top State University with a wrestling program while you have High School wrestling it effectively telling all the High School wrestlers - you are not wanted here.

1 minute ago, SetonHallPirate said:

FYI, by the calendar mentioned earlier, Augustana won't be eligible to compete at the Division I NCAA Wrestling Championships (or for any other sport) until 2025-26.

Why is that?   Seems like a STUPID RULE, It has to CRIPPLE A SCHOOLS RECRUITING,  Come and wrestle for us, but you can't compete for Conference and NCAA titles, that rule basically eliminates the schools chances for top recruits who aspire to be NCAA or multiple NCAA Champions.

What is the reasoning for such an idiotic rule?   How would a Coach compete recruiting wise with this limitations?

Didn't a situation like this already happen?    Top Recruit Cyler Sanderson wanted to wrestle for his brother Cody Sanderson who got the job at Utah Valley, but was told Utah Valley athletes would not be allowed to compete in NCAA for 5 years, So Cyler Sanderson wanting to compete for NCAA titles went for his 2nd option to wrestle for Iowa State as his brother Cael was an Assistant at the time, Cael Sanderson did become head coach at Iowa State and Penn State and Cyler followed Cael to Penn State, and Cael hired his brother Cody as an Assistant Coach, so everything worked out in that case, but still this story shows not being able to compete at NCAA's puts schools at a disadvantage as far as getting top wrestlers.    JUST LET THEM COMPETE AT NCAA'S IMMEDIATELY.

I would love to hear what the rational is for not letting a school compete at NCAA's

37 minutes ago, dougb said:

Why is that?   Seems like a STUPID RULE, It has to CRIPPLE A SCHOOLS RECRUITING,  Come and wrestle for us, but you can't compete for Conference and NCAA titles, that rule basically eliminates the schools chances for top recruits who aspire to be NCAA or multiple NCAA Champions.

What is the reasoning for such an idiotic rule?   How would a Coach compete recruiting wise with this limitations?

Didn't a situation like this already happen?    Top Recruit Cyler Sanderson wanted to wrestle for his brother Cody Sanderson who got the job at Utah Valley, but was told Utah Valley athletes would not be allowed to compete in NCAA for 5 years, So Cyler Sanderson wanting to compete for NCAA titles went for his 2nd option to wrestle for Iowa State as his brother Cael was an Assistant at the time, Cael Sanderson did become head coach at Iowa State and Penn State and Cyler followed Cael to Penn State, and Cael hired his brother Cody as an Assistant Coach, so everything worked out in that case, but still this story shows not being able to compete at NCAA's puts schools at a disadvantage as far as getting top wrestlers.    JUST LET THEM COMPETE AT NCAA'S IMMEDIATELY.

I would love to hear what the rational is for not letting a school compete at NCAA's

You are forgetting the part of the story where Cael runs off Bubba Jenkins to make room for Cyler at 157.

Different eligibility requirement with D2 and D1, so my interpretation of the rule is a school must have a cycle of the previous non-D1 athletes out to be championship eligible. The schools are also required to have their facilities, academic support, etc in line with D1 benchmarks before being able to compete.

Say someone goes D2 after exhausting their D1 eligibility, then the school moves up to D1 ... you see where I’m going with this? That scenario isn’t the reason for such a rule, but it is a potential exploit IF no probationary period exists.

There are also cases where schools made the move, only not to be able to complete it and move back down. It’s more than just the athlete. It is silly to some degree, but it also keeps schools from bouncing through divisions with no penalty.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

You are forgetting the part of the story where Cael runs off Bubba Jenkins to make room for Cyler at 157.

The point was, a kid who might want to go to a school, who had aspirations to compete and maybe win NCAA's,  can not go to a school even if he wanted to if the school.

(Note my knowledge of the Sanderson situation is here say and vague,)  My point was a Wrestler who wants to Wrestle and go to NCAA's (And what College Wrestler Doesn't?) can not go to the School they might want to go to, if they are barred (And not because of any school violation) So the School wont be able to get good recruits, so the School is at a major disadvantage in recruiting and being successful, and when Wrestling programs are not Successful the powers that be are more likely to try and drop the program,  Many College Wrestling Coaches can not even guarantee a recruit the school will have a team in 4-5 years.  By having a School be ineligible for 5 years is like making sure a Program is handicapped before they start.