Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Great for Suriano

Glad Nick Suriano is happy at Rutgers. It was a shock to many that he left PSU. He is at home at Rutgers. Penn State is a great place but clearly NS never felt comfortable there. He gave Happy Valley a shot but 287 & the GSP, are more familiar to him than Atherton.   133 is an interesting weight this year with lots of new talent. I thing Suriano is definitely in the mix of guys that can win 133.  

I was watching the recent Brands' interviews on flo, and they reinforced just how important chemistry between the athlete, coach, and school must be in order to get the best performance out of all involved. When I listen to either Brands, I'm filled with disgust. I can't stand their proud philistinism, their childish euphemisms for curse words, their cliche butchering, their condescending stares, etc.  Their idiosyncrasies are sorta funny until du Pont comes up; then, they come off as not a little evil.  I can't imagine taking a recruiting trip to Iowa City and deciding anything other than that these guys are catastrophically obtuse. I get the same feeling for some of their athletes (not Lee ... he seems totally normal). Yet, the right kids thrive in their program, and the program puts out a great product (I love watching Marinelli).

If Suriano felt out of place in Happy Valley, then good on him for moving on.  

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6261290-lehigh-vs-iowa-2018-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6288620&limit=60

7 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I was watching the recent Brands' interviews on flo, and they reinforced just how important chemistry between the athlete, coach, and school must be in order to get the best performance out of all involved. When I listen to either Brands, I'm filled with disgust. I can't stand their proud philistinism, their childish euphemisms for curse words, their cliche butchering, their condescending stares, etc.  Their idiosyncrasies are sorta funny until du Pont comes up; then, they come off as not a little evil.  I can't imagine taking a recruiting trip to Iowa City and deciding anything other than that these guys are catastrophically obtuse. I get the same feeling for some of their athletes (not Lee ... he seems totally normal). Yet, the right kids thrive in their program, and the program puts out a great product (I love watching Marinelli).

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6261290-lehigh-vs-iowa-2018-ncaa-wrestling/videos?playing=6288620&limit=60

Did you just compare the Brands to DuPont?

39 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Jchapman: I didn't mean to if I did. I meant to say that the way Brands discusses his decision to stay on with Foxcatcher after the murder of Schultz is troubling.  Brands doesn't seem to see the problem.  

Ok, got it.  I wasn't sure what you were getting at. 

2 hours ago, justafan said:

Suriano, Ashnault,Gravina and few others won't be going to Midlands.It was the plan all along to have those guys get a break and rest over the holidays.Just putting it out there before everyone finds out and says theyre ducking.

So they planned on ducking for a while now ;)

Suriano is happy being "the man" at Rutgers.  However, I don't think the room and coaching staff at Rutgers is comparable to what he had a PSU.  To become the best you have to practice day in and day out with the best.  Suriano kicking his teammates' butts on a daily basis is great for his ego, but I doubt he will improve as much as if he stayed at PSU.

I predict he will make another finals but I don't see him winning a National Championship, sadly.  

But then again his priority seems to be a future in MMA.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Suriano is happy being "the man" at Rutgers.  However, I don't think the room and coaching staff at Rutgers is comparable to what he had a PSU.  To become the best you have to practice day in and day out with the best.  Suriano kicking his teammates' butts on a daily basis is great for his ego, but I doubt he will improve as much as if he stayed at PSU.

I predict he will make another finals but I don't see him winning a National Championship, sadly.  

I could see him taking out Gross, but it will certainly be a toss up. I agree that a really tough room will give results, the whole steel sharpens steel thing. But who knows, maybe Suriano kicking butt in practice every day will put him in a better spot mentally than getting roughed up more often at PSU. 

2 hours ago, justafan said:

Suriano, Ashnault,Gravina and few others won't be going to Midlands.It was the plan all along to have those guys get a break and rest over the holidays.Just putting it out there before everyone finds out and says theyre ducking.

Midlands is not even on the Rutgers schedule. So it's probably Suriano, Ashnault, Gravina, and all of the others who won't be going. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

This is not true at all. I just think you are hurt he didn't want to stay at PSU because he wasn't happy there.  Does Gross practice day in and day out with "the best", do you really think Yianni practices with "the best"?  No, they don't get the same training partners that a Lee at Iowa would get or a RBY at PSU would get but both of them are champs.  I just think you are so hurt he left the PSU program and you as a fan can't stand it so you want to try and bring him down.

So the only place to get good is training  with the best so Suriano should be at Iowa training with Lee the best 125 or at Cornell training with the best 141.At Penn St now and at 125  he would train with RBY and Nick Lee.Out of those 3 Penn St would be the worst according to your training with the best scenario.My opinion is you can be the best anywhere.How does Gross do it? I mean how without great partners 

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Which athletes on their current roster give you that feeling? 

Edited by russelscout

I'm not saying you MUST have the best training partners to be a champ, but it certainly helps.  Those who brought up Gross and Yanni as examples are being a bit disingenuous as SD State and Cornell are not programs that lack (1) top tier coaches and (2) a history of producing AAs and national champ contenders.

Rutgers has neither of those qualities.

5 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

russelscout: I won't call out any kid, but I will remind you that Metcalf used to talk about himself in the third person (for the record, he seems to have grown out of it).

Show me one video where he does that, I don't remember him referring himself as "Metcalf" or "Brent"? Even if he did, how does that make him obtuse?

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

It has been said ......... what we see is what we are.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Who at Penn State can beat him?  Nolf and bigger maybe, he beats 149 down.  While at Rutgers, he has Ashnault. 

He looks unbeatable right now.  Fix is a mini-test.  I think he puts Micic on his back and stuffs everything he has. 

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Who at Penn State can beat him?  Nolf and bigger maybe, he beats 149 down.  While at Rutgers, he has Ashnault. 

He looks unbeatable right now.  Fix is a mini-test.  I think he puts Micic on his back and stuffs everything he has. 

I like your confidence