Sign in to follow this  
klehner

Way too early: what's the last match of 2019 NCAAs?

Will there be two undefeateds facing each other?  Is that necessary?  Tough to get that when the two best are often in the B1G.

For 2017, we all knew it was going to be Dean vs. Nickal from about November.

Last year showed that two B1G guys can be the choice, despite seeing each other two weeks before (but that
may have been because of the team title implications).

Fix will see Suriano in January, and Gross at Big 12s (I guess).

Yianni will face McKenna in late February.  Will there be any ducks at this one?

Ashnault faces Kolodzik in February.

Nolf/Deakin at B1Gs.

Joseph/Wick at B1Gs.

Hall/Valencia:  been there, done that.

Martin/Rasheed at B1Gs.

Nickal/Moore at B1Gs.  Nickal three years in a row as last match?

Cassar/Steveson/Stoll all at B1Gs (but we know Stoll will have a wedding or something that weekend).

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Will there be two undefeateds facing each other?  Is that necessary?  Tough to get that when the two best are often in the B1G.

For 2017, we all knew it was going to be Dean vs. Nickal from about November.

Last year showed that two B1G guys can be the choice, despite seeing each other two weeks before (but that
may have been because of the team title implications).

Fix will see Suriano in January, and Gross at Big 12s (I guess).

Yianni will face McKenna in late February.  Will there be any ducks at this one?

Ashnault faces Kolodzik in February.

Nolf/Deakin at B1Gs.

Joseph/Wick at B1Gs.

Hall/Valencia:  been there, done that.

Martin/Rasheed at B1Gs.

Nickal/Moore at B1Gs.  Nickal three years in a row as last match?

Cassar/Steveson/Stoll all at B1Gs (but we know Stoll will have a wedding or something that weekend).

PSU and OSU have a dual on 2/8

It won’t be team race related this year most likely. I don’t think they would change the order of the matches for the 2nd place spot. 

If there is another undefeated 165er besides Cenzo that people think has a chance against him, maybe 165? If Marstellar is undefeated still or something like that, there is a chance. 

Given how many conferences are represented st the top of 133, it could have 2 or even 3 undefeated guys. Fix, Gross, Micic/Suriano/RBY. Not sure if any of these matches would be the headliner though. 

I feel like rematches are generally less interesting than new matches. There are exceptions (Snyder vs Coon), but even then, almost everyone was picking Snyder. 

I think Big10s will heavily influence this. Big10 finals could be:

133: Suriano vs micic

149: ashnault vs Micah (maybe berge? Which would be cool if he is still undefeated)

165: Wick vs cenzo

285: Gable vs Cassar 

Biggest "IF" ever here but if Moore can beat Nickal twice and/or split with him during the regular season and they meet in the finals then there should probably be consideration for this match to end Saturday night. I know Moore isn't a National Champ or even a finalist to this point but Bo brings excitement love him or hate him.

25 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It won’t be team race related this year most likely. I don’t think they would change the order of the matches for the 2nd place spot. 

If there is another undefeated 165er besides Cenzo that people think has a chance against him, maybe 165? If Marstellar is undefeated still or something like that, there is a chance. 

Given how many conferences are represented st the top of 133, it could have 2 or even 3 undefeated guys. Fix, Gross, Micic/Suriano/RBY. Not sure if any of these matches would be the headliner though. 

I feel like rematches are generally less interesting than new matches. There are exceptions (Snyder vs Coon), but even then, almost everyone was picking Snyder. 

I think Big10s will heavily influence this. Big10 finals could be:

133: Suriano vs micic

149: ashnault vs Micah (maybe berge? Which would be cool if he is still undefeated)

165: Wick vs cenzo

285: Gable vs Cassar 

Marstellar v Cenzo could happen at the Scuffle

5 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Fix and Gross are in same conference as well. 

On 12/18/2018 at 12:16 PM, jchapman said:

Marstellar might have to avoid being pinned by Wick for this to happen.

For sure. Considering the score of the match before the fall occurred, I'd say its certainly a possibility. 

On 12/17/2018 at 11:01 PM, BigTenFanboy said:

Any truth to the rumor of Fix dropping to 125?

I read somewhere (I think it was on this site in another thread) that he weighed in at Reno at 132.7 pounds, so I doubt he's going down to 125 (really hard for the little guys to lose 7 pounds midseason!). Plus, Fix looks great at that weight. He doesn't look fat, he looks thick/muscular, and he's absolutely hammering dudes at this point. 

I think he beats Gross at NCAAs and wins the title, provided he doesn't get upset before the finals. Fix just looks strong as an ox.

Edited by TobusRex

I've never been a fan of ending at a certain weight for NCAA's. I get why they do it, and it does follow closer to how UFC sets their cards but I prefer the classic 125-HWT order. It would be interesting to see if ratings have been better since they started ending at different weights. To me, the NCAA finals is an amazing event regardless of where the night starts.

1 hour ago, gopher_fan_90 said:

I've never been a fan of ending at a certain weight for NCAA's. I get why they do it, and it does follow closer to how UFC sets their cards but I prefer the classic 125-HWT order. It would be interesting to see if ratings have been better since they started ending at different weights. To me, the NCAA finals is an amazing event regardless of where the night starts.

I agree.

I think sometimes it is warranted but other than those few occasions i think its best to go in regular order.

Taylor vs Dake... Warranted

Taylor vs Caldwell... Not warranted

Nickal vs Dean.. Warranted

5 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I agree.

I think sometimes it is warranted but other than those few occasions i think its best to go in regular order.

Taylor vs Dake... Warranted

Taylor vs Caldwell... Not warranted

Nickal vs Dean.. Warranted

So, what you are saying is that any potential Cornell vs. Penn State final warrants the ultimate match?

2 minutes ago, klehner said:

So, what you are saying is that any potential Cornell vs. Penn State final warrants the ultimate match?

LOL must be.

Taylor v Dake was a  Returning Champ and Hodge Winner vs 3x Champ going for his 4th. Also was the talk of the entire season. Much debate on who would win. - Warranted

Taylor vs Caldwell... not much hype surrounding that match up. Almost no debate on who would win.- Nothing too exciting.

Nickal vs Dean 2x Champ going for his 3rd vs Returning Runner up. This match was also the talk of the season. Much debate on who would win. - Warranted 

Now look at the actual results of those matches.

Taylor vs Dake... Exciting match that came down to the wire.

Taylor vs Caldwell... Solid win for Taylor, nothing really dramatic during that match.

Nickal vs Dean... Exciting match that came down to the wire.