Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Did fans complain about 'parity' during OkSt and Iowa dynasties?

Just now, Coach_J said:

Yes, much complaining back during Iowa's reign.  Especially as it coincided with the massive loss of D-I programs.

These two items were not even remotely related. If they were then it would have only been wrestling affected but numerous Men's sports were devastated in that same period. 

6 minutes ago, Zebra said:

These two items were not even remotely related. If they were then it would have only been wrestling affected but numerous Men's sports were devastated in that same period. 

True, but I think many pointed to the Iowa dominance as a reason. I doubt doubt administrations used this as an excuse to cut wrestling, but it was not the cause. I do vaguely remember hearing that Gable was killing the sport, which is kind of crazy considering how much attendance for the NCAA's grew during and after his reign. 

5 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Gable killed with domination.

Cael kills with domination and killed with non-support of national duals.

Caels aversion to media in our sport hurts a lil IMO. PSU has the most interesting and best wrestlers. How come we can't get an inside look? Overall though, I think an east coast power is great for the sport.

57 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Never said they were.  Many sought to connect the two--all I said.

Complain all you want, Title IX and the "need" to have women's lacrosse and curling is what has hurt the sport.  Penn State's dominance is due soley to Cael.  When Cael leaves, their dominance will wane.  Period.  Other coaches that can recruit and develop will arise, and then fall, and then rise, and then fall.  Those who suggest it's bad for the sport are drinking way too much 'flat earther' kool-aid.  

Instead, try Brawndo, it's got what plants crave.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Complain all you want, Title IX and the "need" to have women's lacrosse and curling is what has hurt the sport.  Penn State's dominance is due soley to Cael.  When Cael leaves, their dominance will wane.  Period.  Other coaches that can recruit and develop will arise, and then fall, and then rise, and then fall.  Those who suggest it's bad for the sport are drinking way too much 'flat earther' kool-aid.  

Instead, try Brawndo, it's got what plants crave.

I think them show that more AD's used Title IX to reduce men's opportunities than to grow Women's. You know sitting in a room saying, "all we have to do to save wrestling or baseball is to add women's crew. Nah, let's blame Title IX and cut both."

th?id=OIP.AsH0e2t-49kwChx69z-exAAAAA&pid

I don't remember hearing much, if any, complaining about Iowa's domination of the sport being bad for the sport from the 70s-90s.  I don't remember ANY chatter at all about wrestling prior to 1975 because that's when I first started wrestling.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:34 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

OkSt and Iowa's dynasties dwarf Penn State's.  Did people complain back then about how those dynasties were 'bad for the sport'?  More or less?  Do we just hear more complaining now due to the availability of wrestling forums and social media?

Less complaining back then, but not a concern. The general attitude among the non-complainers i.e., competitors, was to get better, work harder, don't quit. The others who saw disparity did complain, perhaps justifiably, about the size of the mat Iowa used for duals ( 50 ft diam circle) and all the high quality asst coaches in the practice room (about 7 ). Gable was the new guy in town, the bees went to the honey.

The media makes it seem worse but jealousy is as old as the hills.

Edited by Cooch1
incomplete

I recall from old SI articles some of the other coaches grousing about Iowa’s dominance back then. Fans? None from my personal experience, some rooted for them to get knocked off but not because they were bad for the sport, just fans of other programs or rooting for underdog. 

22 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

I recall from old SI articles some of the other coaches grousing about Iowa’s dominance back then. Fans? None from my personal experience, some rooted for them to get knocked off but not because they were bad for the sport, just fans of other programs or rooting for underdog. 

This. Typical fan behavior. 

On 12/17/2018 at 9:34 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

OkSt and Iowa's dynasties dwarf Penn State's.  Did people complain back then about how those dynasties were 'bad for the sport'?  More or less?  Do we just hear more complaining now due to the availability of wrestling forums and social media?

Absolutely.  As he racked up national title after national title, people were always complaining about how Gable was bad for the sport.