Sign in to follow this  
Crash

Way too early discussion on 65KG seeding at US Open

With Zain, JO and Stieber presumably all at 65 for the US Open, getting the top seed will be very important.

What is the criteria used for seeding at The US Open?

I assume performance at the international tourneys Jan-Mar will be the most important criteria, but don’t know for sure how it works.

Se

Edited by Crash

2 hours ago, Crash said:

With Zain, JO and Stieber presumably all at 65 for the US Open, getting the top seed will be very important.

I assume performance at the international tourneys Jan-Mar will be the most important criteria, but don’t know for sure how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know, there isn't an exact set criteria, and seeds are determined by the seeding committee.  U.S. Open seeds last year followed the April 2018 ladder rankings almost exactly to the number, except in cases where a recent head-to-head matchup seemed to take precedent.  

As far as I know, there isn't an exact set criteria, and seeds are determined by the seeding committee.  U.S. Open seeds last year followed the April 2018 ladder rankings almost exactly to the number, except in cases where a recent head-to-head matchup seemed to take precedent.  

Thanks.

What are “ladder rankings”?

The seeds won't matter that much. Parity. Stieber, Zane, JO, Yianni, Eirerman, McKenna, etc. There's not a true favorite amongst the group imo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The seeds won't matter that much. Parity. Stieber, Zane, JO, Yianni, Eirerman, McKenna, etc. There's not a true favorite amongst the group imo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A lot will depend on how each wrestler can handle the two day scratch weigh-in.

And you are right, the rankings/seeding probably won’t reflect that variable very well by April.

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Last year USAW implemented a new system that seeds based on criteria. I'm not sure all of the criteria off the top of my head, but it included wins over common opponents, head to heads etc. The computer spits out the seeds, then the coaches either approve or vote to change the seeds.

Well if J.O., Zain, GHulk, and Logiebear are all at 65, that will be worth the price of admission right there, but imagine if Joey Mac and Eierman are there as well, could be lots of fireworks just in that weight class alone.

But getting back to the question at hand, I would have to figure Logie gets the top seed as he is our current rep, after that, it's anybody's guess, but perhaps they will use the team rankings, which would put Joey Mac in the number 2 seed, and Eierman at the third seed. J.O., Zain, and GHulk will probably round out the other three seeds. I guess it wouldn't be a stretch to say that some of the higher seeds may get upset by the lower seeds. But who knows, remember last year Logie got beat by Eierman, so who knows. 

Anyway this will be another event to look forward to. 

sorry if it´s kinda off-topic but how does the ranking system work (for both freestyle and greco roman)?

based on the us open results? (do you have to qualify for the opens?)

Edited by smn23

I am hoping that our perceived "internal" depth proves out with international medals at the end.  There is SO much talent in that group of 65's. 

Also... I just watched the video of Logie vs. Valdes Tobier from 2018 on track.  Is there a reason that Logie looks 10 pounds smaller, emaciated, and with the muscle definition of a marshmallow?  

I am hoping that our perceived "internal" depth proves out with international medals at the end.  There is SO much talent in that group of 65's. 
Also... I just watched the video of Logie vs. Valdes Tobier from 2018 on track.  Is there a reason that Logie looks 10 pounds smaller, emaciated, and with the muscle definition of a marshmallow?  

Bc he is a 61KG guy trying to build up to 65KG bc the IOC are a bunch of morons who only have 6 weights in the Olympics.

1 hour ago, PRyan2012 said:

Zain and Logan will be fine. Oliver will struggle and I think there is your difference at 143. This is a perfect weight for Zain. Oliver is a 149- 152 guy. If I were seeding I would go:

Logan, Oliver, Zain, Hulk. 

Not disagreeing, however, based on recent results, McKenna should probably get a seed for being runner up to Logie.

On 12/21/2018 at 6:45 AM, Crash said:

Bc he is a 61KG guy trying to build up to 65KG bc the IOC are a bunch of morons who only have 6 weights in the Olympics.

Wrong.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:32 AM, treep2000 said:

i've heard that logie is a vegetarian., and not a joke. think how much better he could be if he ate meat.

If JO is healthy and can handle the 2 day scratch weight process, he is the clear favorite.  Obviously those are big "ifs".  We should learn a lot from the tourneys he and the others compete in Jan - Mar.

65kg should be a barnburner for the 2019 spot. It's an Olympic weight and they all have to go through the bracket, no one sitting in finals. Whoever does win it has the chance to end USA's 65kg medal drought and if so, then a spot in Olympic trials finals.