Sign in to follow this  
kionga

open tournament participation

I am a fan of Michigan Wrestling and like to follow the reserves as well as the front line wrestlers.  Over the past several years it has become clear to me that only a handful of backup wrestlers are entered into a given open tournament.  For example, only 9 of 22 such wrestlers participated in the Cleveland State Open.

Obviously, illness, injury, or school work are reasons why one would not be entered, but it seems to me that there is more to it than that.  Could some of you more experienced fans provide greater insight?  This is a broad request, not specifically about the Michigan program.

Starters follow the actual schedule on the website.Backups and redshirts go to  the opens and you will see starters sprinkled in at some of the opens.Starters who miss matches will make them up at opens sometimes.Towards the end of the year when starters are trying to get 17 matches to get a RPI you will see more starters at opens not on the teams actual schedule.Hope that helps 

A couple of other points that might help-

This probably applies more to a couple of eastern opens I do but ESU dropped to D2 and Wilkes to D3 some years ago. So both opens have a higher non-D1 level of participation which affects D1 desirability as some of the criteria depends specifically on D1 opponents.

Also, in general, if the open is not on the same date as another slated event it might have to count as a date if more then 6 wrestlers attend attached. And obviously, if it is the same date you wouldn't be bringing starters anyway.

You'd need particular insight into each individual program to know the motivations behind each guy's participation (or lack thereof) in opens.  There are plenty of reasons to not participate in Opens.  Too much homework... exams coming up... a long drive in the back of a van... a couple of pounds to lose to get to your "correct" weight class... some soreness in your shoulder... etc. etc. etc.  Nobody on redshirt is required to participate in opens. 

That's why, in general, the guys that tend to participate in more open tournament are the guys with higher aspirations.  Some of the guys on the team are just there to be part of the team... and that's fine.  But It's a big red flag to me when a freshman on redshirt doesn't compete.  That tells me (a) he has a serious injury, (b) he doesn't think he needs to, or (c) something else is wrong.  

The last 10 NCAA champs that redshirted as freshmen wrestled an average of 17 matches during their redshirt year. 

32 minutes ago, scribe said:

Most of my close wins were against the Byes 

A few years back a family actually named Bye came through the circuit. It screwed me up with EscapeSports as the program looked for that word in some places.