Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Fix to 125 rumor?

Just now, TobusRex said:

We're all thinking that, but here's the very sad reality:

The match would probably be a 2-1 type affair. Would be fun to see something more 12-9 ish, lol.

i have no problems with a 2-1 score if the match is full of nice scrambles/near scoring moments with impressive defense.

As others have stated, this makes very little sense from a team perspective unless they think Gfeller at 141 outscores Picc at 125 which I don't think is the case. Picc, Picc is a legit finalist contender at 125 with only a few guys that can legitimately beat him. There are probably 10-15 guys that can beat Gfeller at 141. Fix, Brock, G/Boo > Fix, Brock, G, Boo imo. I think Brock has a higher ceiling at 141 versus 133 and honestly I think the same may be true for Gfeller. 141 is way deeper than 149 this year and he's looked great up a weight.

it's on the homepage, he is basically just a few lbs over 125 but is happy and stronger at 133. Still undecided for the postseason.

“I can get lower than that. I make the weight pretty easy. After practice about every day I am within a couple of pounds. It is nice being at 133. I feel good. I can wrestle really hard, which is what I like the most about it,” said Fix.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/December/19/Popular-Daton-Fix-making-impact-in-college-wrestling

4 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

it's on the homepage, he is basically just a few lbs over 125 but is happy and stronger at 133. Still undecided for the postseason.

“I can get lower than that. I make the weight pretty easy. After practice about every day I am within a couple of pounds. It is nice being at 133. I feel good. I can wrestle really hard, which is what I like the most about it,” said Fix.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/December/19/Popular-Daton-Fix-making-impact-in-college-wrestling

Is he referring to being within a couple of pounds of 133 or 125? The writer doesn't make that entirely clear. I would be surprised if he was weighing out 5-6 lbs under weight after every practice. I think he should stay at 133 where he can wrestle at the insane pace he's been wrestling at. He doesn't have a consistent leg attack, but nobody can hold their ground against him right now. I'm not sure he keeps that pace at 125. We saw him wrestle a little slower at 125 this summer and it bit him.

Just now, qc8223 said:

Is he referring to being within a couple of pounds of 133 or 125? The writer doesn't make that entirely clear. I would be surprised if he was weighing out 5-6 lbs under weight after every practice. I think he should stay at 133 where he can wrestle at the insane pace he's been wrestling at. He doesn't have a consistent leg attack, but nobody can hold their ground against him right now. I'm not sure he keeps that pace at 125. We saw him wrestle a little slower at 125 this summer and it bit him.

good point, i assumed 125 since that's his FS weight.

11 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

Where does it say he is "a few pounds over 125?"  Seems he is saying a couple lbs over 133 after practice so easy to make 133, obviously before practice weight higher.

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

Where does it say he is "a few pounds over 125?"  Seems he is saying a couple lbs over 133 after practice so easy to make 133, obviously before practice weight higher.

i just replied. i assumed 125.

1 hour ago, DuckFor2 said:

good point, i assumed 125 since that's his FS weight.

I think he meant 133. Fix weighs in  the 140s off-season and has stated that several times in the past couple of years in interviews. I think he weighed in the 140s at his last Beat the Streets event, albeit with warmups and shoes on.

no doubt it is best for the team if he is at 133. It could be that Coach Smith allows guys to wrestle off for whatever spot they can make though. If Fix thinks he will be more likely to win NCAAs at 125 than 133, more power to him. 

It is similar to the Keshawn situation on tOSU. He can make 141 and would likely AA there, but McKenna is in the way. Same at 149, but Jordan is slightly ahead of him there. So he is at 157, where he has no chance to win a title and is fairly unlikely to AA because he is so undersized. For the team, he should be at 149. Micah can AA at 157 (he did last year) but can only win at a title at 149, so he wants to be there.

If OSU and tOSU had a good shot at beating PSU, the coaches might force them to go the optimal weight for the team. Without that? It is a more difficult case to make.

With all of that said, I think the coaches should force the wrestlers into whatever weight is best for the team, but I'm also not a D1 coach so I'm probably wrong. John Smith and Tom Ryan definitely know what they are doing.

I saw Picc and Fix at the MN dual, and Picc looked a lot bigger than Fix (I know the eyeball test isn't always accurate). I don't know about the team dynamic but it didn't look like 25 would be a problem.

Walking around weight and offseason weight are about as useless as numbers get in the wrestling world but everyone throws them around like they are relevant data. I don't know why I need to say this but wrestlers and the pundits on this board don't seem to get it. 

The only number that matters is lean body mass.

What's best for the team is guys wrestling the best weight class for themselves.  There is no reason to ask a guy to wrestle outside his preferred weight so the team can get 4th instead of 5th (or 2nd instead of 3rd, or 6th instead of 7th, etc...).  OSU isn't going to shuffle the lineup for a runnerup finish, and they have no chance at beating PSU.  So let guys wrestle wherever they want.  If Fix wants 133 then awesome.  If Fix wants 125 then awesome.  

4 hours ago, Zebra said:

They score less team points with Fix at 125.

Picc scores less at 133 and Fix will score about the same at either weight. 

My thoughts as well. I said this a long time ago when everyone thought Fix would go 125 and Picc 133 after Fix went 57 over the summer. 

9 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

i have no problems with a 2-1 score if the match is full of nice scrambles/near scoring moments with impressive defense.

That would be okay with me but that's probably not how it would pan out. You know how the matches between the highly touted guys often pan out: both are tentative, showing too much respect for the other guy. Lots of times the highly expected matches end up being the most yawn-inducing.