Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Meanest guys on the mat

You read it right. Who are/were the meanest guys on the mat? Not mean just to be that way and not dirty or cheating, but hard wrestling and punishing opponents.

I'll take two brothers to start - Mark Schultz and Dave Schultz. Both were punishing. Dave would put a guy in a world of pain and after the mat come over and work with him to show him what he did wrong. Mark was a former champion gymnast and his strength was off the charts, something he used at times to punish opponents.

One often overlooked because he was a gentleman on the mat who did not believe in running up scores on opponents was Yojo Uetake at Oklahoma State University. He did not embarass opponents. One time called for stalling by the referee he went to work - and his opponent suffered big time for it. I talked with the opponent later and all he would say - even decades later now - is "he hurt me bad". Uetake was the real deal.

So, how about your Mean as hell Mat men?

21 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

One often overlooked because he was a gentleman on the mat who did not believe in running up scores on opponents was Yojo Uetake at Oklahoma State University. He did not embarass opponents. One time called for stalling by the referee he went to work - and his opponent suffered big time for it. I talked with the opponent later and all he would say - even decades later now - is "he hurt me bad". Uetake was the real deal.

Actually, he did say one other thing. He told the ref to mind his own business next time!

Sean Gray. Sean at 141, was one of my lifting partners my freshman year. Strong as an ox. We were wrestling UVA, right after the All Star match where he was up big and gassed against Schwab. The UVA coach said "don't worry he'll gas like he did last weekend". Gray immediately doubled the guy, took him to his back, picked him up off his back and carried him to the edge so he could yell at the UVA coaching staff while refusing to pin the opponent. As he went through the lines shaking hands, we all got a little chippy and didn't get to finish up.

"[Robin Reed] is generally regarded as the most feared and punishing wrestler of all time, a man who would break an opponent's arm if the mood struck him to do so."    -Mark Chapman

"[Reed] was definitely not someone you wrestled with for fun. He was notoriously nasty on the mat."  -Finn J.D. John

Robin Reed pinning a teammate at Oregon State (then OAC) in the 1920s.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

Jim Akerly was the meanest guy I had the misfortune of wrestling. He would routinely choke out his athletes from the front head lock or when he threw in legs, a grown man choking out 18, 19 year-old kids who had been in a college room for less than month. There was no discernible tactical reason for him to do this. He could have turned us in any number of ways without risking permanent brain injury. But, I loved him.  Must have been Stockholm Syndrome

The most disturbing story I ever heard about a similar situation was from Royce Alger regarding Dave Schultz. While we celebrate Schultz as a great ambassador of the sport and I have never heard anybody who knew him personally speak ill of him, this story makes him seem psychotic. You can listen to it here: 

Edited by jackwebster
Typo

Wade Schalles (Husker Du's favorite), was a mean pinning machine....at his clinics he often stressed "legal pain" or "creating discomfort".  I remember one of the ads in AWN mag back in the day used to include a photo of him pinning some poor guy all pretzel'd up with a spladle....dude looked like his head was about to pop off, literally. 

Edit: photo shown below

wade-spladle2.jpg

Edited by gromit
add photo

21 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Actually, he did say one other thing. He told the ref to mind his own business next time!

Reminds when Cary was in the state semi... I think his freshman year... when the ref asked the told the kid wrestling him: "It's your choice, what do you choose?"  The kid answered: "The other bracket!!!"

One measure of how to be constructively and destructively "mean" ("bad" as good) is to be relentless in one's attacks and to be forever pressing so as to go beyond a mere win and to get the pin or obtain complete or near dominance.  In other words, to break one's opponent.  

In this sense, Mr. Nolf has to be included in the conversation.

Edited by dmm53

Jackwebster -I agree 100% about Akerly. He was feared in youth wrestling, HS and college. I don’t think he was picking on you, that is just how he wrestles. He was a weight or 2 above me in HS and he is about the only person I feared. He was the most brutal leg rider I have ever seen. He is right up there with Pifer. (Not spelled right)

Jimmy is now one of the best club coaches in the WPIAL and is the best coach for instruction for riding legs.