Sign in to follow this  
WillieBoy

Meanest guys on the mat

Back on the early 90s I had the pleasure of going to the Lehigh room to watch practice, when Bill Closson  (2x AA) was Lehigh’s  only Hwt.  Coach Hutchison first brought in Bernie Brown to work with Bill.  Bernie showed Bill what is like to be ridden and controlled on the mat and then sucked him back for a fall. However, the guy I wanted to talk about was Mark Leiberman.  Mark was brought in to work with Bill on his feet.  Mark was was about 32-4 by then and had migrated from 177 to about 225.  The match was amazing.  Mark hit Bill with 3-4 lateral drops.  After one really high amplitute throw I let out a “wow”.  Mark heard me and ran over and stood over me and in a very intense manner told me “Please do not make any comments, because I have to concentrate really hard to still do this.”  I would not have wanted to go out on the mat with Mark when he was in his prime both because of his skill amd strength but His intensity was amazing.

Edited by Cary by the Lake

10 hours ago, gromit said:

Wade Schalles (Husker Du's favorite), was a mean pinning machine....at his clinics he often stressed "legal pain" or "creating discomfort".  I remember one of the ads in AWN mag back in the day used to include a photo of him pinning some poor guy all pretzel'd up with a spladle....dude looked like his head was about to pop off, literally. 

Edit: photo shown below

wade-spladle2.jpg

My JH coach introduced me to the concept of throwing a little extra stank  into the sport. Arm clears on a standup ALWAYS  pop that right elbow up and back (right where their head usually is). I broke a state champ's nose with that one :D

6 hours ago, leshismore said:

Reminds when Cary was in the state semi... I think his freshman year... when the ref asked the told the kid wrestling him: "It's your choice, what do you choose?"  The kid answered: "The other bracket!!!"

I believe the score was 15-1. The ref couldn't continue for a  little while.

I will bite with two from this season (both small school guys....one NAIA, the other Juco).

133lbs - Boo Dryden of NEO  is a mean s.o.b.  He is undefeated on the year (some of those wins against DI competition to boot) I believe close to 90 percent of his matches have ended in fall and 99 percent in bonus. 

184-  Cody Linton of Doane...he will club the hell out of you and keep going on one speed for 7 full minutes. 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, jstock said:

Jackwebster -I agree 100% about Akerly. He was feared in youth wrestling, HS and college. I don’t think he was picking on you, that is just how he wrestles. He was a weight or 2 above me in HS and he is about the only person I feared. He was the most brutal leg rider I have ever seen. He is right up there with Pifer. (Not spelled right)

Jimmy is now one of the best club coaches in the WPIAL and is the best coach for instruction for riding legs. 

Agreed.  Akerly was brutal on top. 

I wrestled Greg Strobel in the Lehigh room a few times around 2000.  I remember thinking that everything he did hurt and made it difficult to breathe. His turk was particularly brutal.  I can only imagine what it must have been like to wrestle him when he was competing.