Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Living the Dream Checks

How significant is $50K to Kyle Dake? It's a big check. But it looks like he spends more than that-- maybe a lot more-- on training expenses. He has a lot of personal coaches and chiropractors and and the like. He flies from camp to camp and even flies to Hawaii and Seattle just to meet up with his personal coaches. Who pays for all that?

10 hours ago, NJDan said:

How significant is $50K to Kyle Dake? It's a big check. But it looks like he spends more than that-- maybe a lot more-- on training expenses. He has a lot of personal coaches and chiropractors and and the like. He flies from camp to camp and even flies to Hawaii and Seattle just to meet up with his personal coaches. Who pays for all that?

50K? I thought it was 250k (is that just the Olympics?).

I'd be surprised if Dake paid much/anything out of his pocket. We have patrons for that, right?

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

50K? I thought it was 250k (is that just the Olympics?).

I'd be surprised if Dake paid much/anything out of his pocket. We have patrons for that, right?

That'd be my guess, too. But I don't know if they give him money and he spends it on training or do they just pay ALL his training costs, no matter how grand.

19 hours ago, Lurker said:

The 250 is Olympics only. I believe Olympics is 250-100-50 and world’s is 50-25-10

It's 250-50-25 and 50-25-15

8 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

No way Dake pays for any of his training beyond what his food costs. The check would also be in addition to his sponsor pay and pay for being a national team member. 

Greco doesn't receive these checks so no money for Coon. 

Greco gets the same as freestyle.  Coon got $25K and Bisek got $15K for his bronze in '14.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/December/20/Living-the-Dream-Medal-Fund-sets-new-record-for-Worlds-payout

Don’t forget about outside sponsorship, apparel sales, camp income, other appearances, etc etc  

Just on dakes website he lists eight corporate sponsors including Milwaukee tools, ASICS, TMWC, NYRTC, etc. 

These days your top tier wrestlers are bringing in some serious coin compared to just 10 years ago, it’s a great time to be a wrestling fan and I hope the trend continues!

Edited by Witherman

the top guys get a significant amount of money from their club - for Dake FLWC. he probably gets as much or more from his club than anyone.

one of the great things about RTC's and clubs is that it's made a for a bidding war for top active wrestlers. 

Edited by Husker_Du

5 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

the top guys get a significant amount of money from their club - for Dake FLWC. he probably gets as much or more from his club than anyone.

one of the great things about RTC's and clubs is that it's made a for a bidding war for top active wrestlers. 

How does the club get money?

On 12/24/2018 at 10:51 PM, gimpeltf said:

Basically alumni donations even though there's no official relationship between the school and the club.

The coaches fundraise for the club. They need their RTCs to do well or they can’t recruit top guys. It is also why we tend to just see a few high level guys together, with the exception of the best funded clubs (Iowa, tOSU and PSU)

even Nebraska, with two of our best, can’t attract other world teamers. I have to assume they can’t afford it.