Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Brandon Sorenson w/o Retherford

Recommended Posts

Sorenson was a very good wrestler but like so many recent Iowa guys very one-dimensional. 

Iowa folks don't like to hear this, but that is what the Brands brothers seem to produce.  Predictability but not individuals who exceed expectations.

Guys who are very good at one or two or even three things but not very creative, innovative, or flexible. 

Is that the dark secret of Iowa wrestling?  The elephant in the wrestling room?

Guys come in very talented, but do they actually develop beyond their preternatural ability?  

Spencer Lee arrived as a super talent already?   Will he make leaps or gains?  It is an open question.  

To be determined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Sorenson was a very good wrestler but like so many recent Iowa guys very one-dimensional. 

Iowa folks don't like to hear this, but that is what the Brands brothers seem to produce.  Predictability but not individuals who exceed expectations.

Guys who are very good at one or two or even three things but not very creative, innovative, or flexible. 

Is that the dark secret of Iowa wrestling?  The elephant in the wrestling room?

Guys come in very talented, but do they actually develop beyond their preternatural ability?  

Spencer Lee arrived as a super talent already?   Will he make leaps or gains?  It is an open question.  

To be determined.

Exceeds expectations?  Sorensen is not a great example of not exceeding expectations.  As near as I can tell he was ranked anywhere from 27th to 69th in the country as a recruit.  He definitely exceeded expectations.  The fact that he was (sometimes) able to be competitive with one the best collegiate wrestlers of all time and was a 4 time AA and made the finals is very much exceeding expectations.  He's more of atestament to the BRands flawed coaching strategy of trying to "coach up" people with inherently limited physical upside/talent levels.

https://news.theopenmat.com/high-school-wrestling/high-school-wrestling-recruiting-news/brandon-sorensen/20040

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top200_2013.html

https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6031443-2013-recruiting-class-rankings/14110-2013-recruiting-class-rankings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Have to agree with Vak here, Sorenson 100% exceeded expectations relative to his recruit ranking. It is only when someone crazily compares him solely to Zain Retherford that the expectations become unfairly distorted. 

How dare you say something positive about an Iowa wrestler! Your PSU fanclub membership has officially been revoked!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Let's rephrase, would he recruit an out of state recruit ranked that low and offer more than a $1.50 in scholarship monies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Let's rephrase, would he recruit an out of state recruit ranked that low and offer more than a $1.50 in scholarship monies?

 

Cassar and Rasheed are both out of state and were both ranked lower than Sorenson.

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Would PSU have even recruited someone ranked that low?

 

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Let's rephrase, would he recruit an out of state recruit ranked that low and offer more than a $1.50 in scholarship monies?

 

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

 

Cassar and Rasheed are both out of state and were both ranked lower than Sorenson.

To answer your question, it looks like PSU would and has recruited someone that low, from out of state and was offered more than $1.50 in scholarship monies.

Good enough for you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cassar and/or Rasheed were not walk ons just like Schnupp?  I am sorry, but I don't consider, you can come wrestle for me, but I won't give you any money to start off with as "recruiting". 

In another words, he wasn't going to give Sorensen enough to even remotely consider PSU over Iowa and you guys KNOW that and what I meant.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MSU, Cassar and Rasheed were still lower rated than Sorenson, you (nor I) have any idea what they were offered or how much schollie money they have received, and yet you are aware Cael recruited both of them. You implied Penn St wouldn't recruit someone like Sorenson, but clearly they have recruited wrestlers like him.

Whether Sorenson would accept any PSU offer or not does nothing to show PSU fails to recruit wrestlers like him. You might consider some other type of claim here because this one isn't working.

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That telling someone they can walk on is NOT recruiting. If they do NOT count against the 9.9, I do not count them as a recruit.....you honestly think either of them got a penny their 1st year?

 

Oh, and the true point of my initial post was to be equally as much of a smart ass as the OP. But, I know your blue and white glasses makes it hard for you to see any other shades...

Edited by MSU158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Cassar and/or Rasheed were not walk ons just like Schnupp?  I am sorry, but I don't consider, you can come wrestle for me, but I won't give you any money to start off with as "recruiting". 

In another words, he wasn't going to give Sorensen enough to even remotely consider PSU over Iowa and you guys KNOW that and what I meant.....

Actually I didnt know that's what you ment. I cant and no one else can read your mind. 2nd of do you have access to PSU Wrestling financial documents to know how much money Cassar or Rasheed received during their freshman year. Youre acting as if Sorensen wanted to come to PSU and was rejected by Cael. I'm not even really sure what wrong doing you're trying to accuse Cael of here. 

You asked if Cael would ever recruit wrestlers ranked that low. When you were proven wrong you amended it with a lot of specific details that none of us have access to. At the same time there are 2 title contenders wrestling for PSU right now that most likely fit the specific criteria you asked for. If you want to knock on Cael make sure you have some real info and have a valid criticism.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Telling someone they can walk on is NOT recruiting. You can tell ANYONE you want to walk on with no cost to your TRUE recruiting. 

 

Still, you guys don't really detect sarcasm very well.  The whole damn point was PSU wasn't going after Sorensen if they didn't have Retherford and they sure as hell weren't going to outspend Iowa. 

 

But, if you want to Squeek Rasheed and Cassar into the argument to act like PSU actively recruits sub 50 guys, I will digress. 

However, the Schnupp article did specify walk on and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the offer to Rasheed and Cassar was very similar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...