Greatdane67

ESPN reporting on wrestling referee incident

Hear from some of the kids on the team...

Buena senior 138-pounder Luke Souder, said he didn’t see it as a racist act.

“It’s just a rule. His hair was too long and that’s what happened,” said Souder, who is white. “If my hair was too long it would have been cut too. That’s a rule. It’s a real rule.

“We know that it wasn’t anything that was that big of a deal. He didn’t have the cap that attaches. I guess he didn’t know he had to have one. It’s no one’s fault. It’s just a rule.”

Souder said the team has been entertained by the media exposure and that he was shocked it has drawn so much attention.

“The next day (after the video went viral) someone said it (had become a national story) and I thought they were joking,” said Souder, who added Johnson just wants the attention to go away. “I was like ‘No way.’ My whole school was like ‘Oh my gosh, he had to cut his hair,' but no one in the gym was like ‘This is racist.’ Everybody was like ‘Oh crap he’s got to cut his hair to help the team.’ He did something to help the team and that’s the story there really. He did something to help the team out.”

Senior 182-pounder Jaden Roberts, who is black, said he was upset for Johnson but didn't think it was a racially-motivated decision either.

"It was just a rule and he did what he had to do for the team," said Roberts. "It was handled perfectly fine. No matter what color skin you are you have to follow the rule and that's what happened. Drew did what he had to do for the team. He made the decision."  

whole article:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-3341302530425508370/dreadlock-cutting-decision-defended-at-tourney-as-buena-returns-to-wrestling/

I like your post Russel and agree with pretty much everything you have to say. I believe the media reporting on this (and even JB to a large degree) presented information very irresponsibly on this topic and left key information out. It has been discussed in the other thread on this, but if this does invite a re-writing of the rules then I am okay with that potentially as long as the new rules make sense for the landscape of the sport. My biggest issue with the whole affair is bringing in the idea of racism to a conversation where it doesn't seem to have any place. Maybe this ref is a PoS outside of this incident, and I certainly don't condone that one bit, but following and enforcing the rules is his job as an official so in this instance I just do not see it.

13 minutes ago, vsnej said:

Senior 182-pounder Jaden Roberts, who is black, said he was upset for Johnson but didn't think it was a racially-motivated decision either.

"It was just a rule and he did what he had to do for the team," said Roberts. "It was handled perfectly fine. No matter what color skin you are you have to follow the rule and that's what happened. Drew did what he had to do for the team. He made the decision."  

This needs to be repeated over and  over again. No one put a gun to the kids head and made him cut his hair. He mad a conscious decision for the betterment of the team and should be commended for his sacrifice, not made out to be some victim of some kind of social injustice.

8 hours ago, vsnej said:

Hear from some of the kids on the team...

Buena senior 138-pounder Luke Souder, said he didn’t see it as a racist act.

“It’s just a rule. His hair was too long and that’s what happened,” said Souder, who is white. “If my hair was too long it would have been cut too. That’s a rule. It’s a real rule.

“We know that it wasn’t anything that was that big of a deal. He didn’t have the cap that attaches. I guess he didn’t know he had to have one. It’s no one’s fault. It’s just a rule.”

Souder said the team has been entertained by the media exposure and that he was shocked it has drawn so much attention.

“The next day (after the video went viral) someone said it (had become a national story) and I thought they were joking,” said Souder, who added Johnson just wants the attention to go away. “I was like ‘No way.’ My whole school was like ‘Oh my gosh, he had to cut his hair,' but no one in the gym was like ‘This is racist.’ Everybody was like ‘Oh crap he’s got to cut his hair to help the team.’ He did something to help the team and that’s the story there really. He did something to help the team out.”

whole article:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-3341302530425508370/dreadlock-cutting-decision-defended-at-tourney-as-buena-returns-to-wrestling/

Interesting article - good to see these Buena wrestlers aren't jumping to an emotional conclusion that this incident was necessarily motivated by racial animus.  

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2