Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Hair Cut

I think it was mentioned somewhere, but both Robert Howard and Kurt McHenry appear to have hair that’s borderline too long.  Wonder if either of them will be getting a (professional) hair cut after all this...

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/2510377767586707906/beast-of-the-east-wrestling-2018-full-coverage-results-and-photos-from-day-1/

51 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think it was mentioned somewhere, but both Robert Howard and Kurt McHenry appear to have hair that’s borderline too long.  Wonder if either of them will be getting a (professional) hair cut after all this...

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/2510377767586707906/beast-of-the-east-wrestling-2018-full-coverage-results-and-photos-from-day-1/

Nice post.  Not just those two.  There are lots of guys in this and every other tournament  who are right at the line in the sand drawn by the rules.  Clear illustration of why this dude is such an ass clown for making a public spectacle of the whole situation 

Horrible quality video, I think I see something come off his head when he sweeps his hand over his hair, on like the tenth view. 

If you are going to video your kid, use a camera, not a flip phone.

Edited by RichB

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Actually he was wearing a hair cover. You can see it in the video.

Good catch.  I didn't notice it the first time I watched the video  But, when he first removes his headgear, you can also see him remove a head covering immediately thereafter -  and its apparently an unattached one. 

I'd make this Exhibit # 1 in the defense case, as its virtually the same incident that's now likely headed for litigation.  It should demonstrate - along with evidence from the many other similar incidents - that matside haircuts are rather common (despite what uninformed members of the general public might erroneously believe).

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

Even if he didn’t have a cover, how could it have “nothing to do” with the Buena incident?  Ultimately the issue goes back to having hair longer than is allowed.  The improper cover is just a byproduct of that. 

33 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Good catch.  I didn't notice it the first time I watched the video  But, when he first removes his headgear, you can also see him remove a head covering immediately thereafter -  and its apparently an unattached one. 

I'd make this Exhibit # 1 in the defense case, as its virtually the same incident that's now likely headed for litigation.  It should demonstrate - along with evidence from the many other similar incidents - that matside haircuts are rather common (despite what uninformed members of the general public might erroneously believe).

This happened two years ago and given how many people have been following the current situation, I wouldn't say it was common. Plus something else it might be argued to show is that the refs aren't checking at weighins.

9 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

This happened two years ago and given how many people have been following the current situation, I wouldn't say it was common. Plus something else it might be argued to show is that the refs aren't checking at weighins.

May have also been the first year the rule was "strictly" enforced. Although we 2 officials one would assume it was an end season tournament, or at least the semi of an important in season torunament. 

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Even if he didn’t have a cover, how could it have “nothing to do” with the Buena incident?  Ultimately the issue goes back to having hair longer than is allowed.  The improper cover is just a byproduct of that. 

I have been seeing guys without hair covers getting haircuts for almost 50 years. I never before saw anyone wearing a head cover being told to get a hair cut.

20 minutes ago, RichB said:

I have been seeing guys without hair covers getting haircuts for almost 50 years. I never before saw anyone wearing a head cover being told to get a hair cut.

1.  The new hair cover rule has only been in place for like 4 years.

2.  Have you seen people wear winter beanies as hair covers?

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

1.  The new hair cover rule has only been in place for like 4 years.

2.  Have you seen people wear winter beanies as hair covers?

You say that the hair cover issue is irrelevant to the Buena issue.

I say, yes, it is all about the hair cover because hair cuts predate hair cover by decades. Every long time wrestling fans has seen haircuts for guys not having hair covers.

And your counter arguments are: how long the current hair cover rule is in place AND that it wasn't a true hair cover.

So again how is it not about the hair cover.

2 hours ago, RichB said:

You say that the hair cover issue is irrelevant to the Buena issue.

I say, yes, it is all about the hair cover because hair cuts predate hair cover by decades. Every long time wrestling fans has seen haircuts for guys not having hair covers.

And your counter arguments are: how long the current hair cover rule is in place AND that it wasn't a true hair cover.

So again how is it not about the hair cover.

I didn’t say the hair cover was irrelevant, just that hair being too long was the underlying issue.  Actually, the family’s statement said that at the previous tournament, he “pushed his hair back,” implying that he in fact did not use a cover there.

If his hair wasn’t too long he wouldn’t need a hair cover.  Because it was too long, he needed a cover.  But he had an improper cover. 

Your comment about “seeing something for 50 years” was irrelevant though, because the relevant rule has only been around for 4.

This sport's(and many others) unhealthy obsession with blaming the referees for everything is bringing it to the point of extinction.

Pretty simple after seeing the evidence:

1. The ref is a racist, but not because of this incident.  He made comments in the past....so he is a as previously said, a turd.

2. The kid's hair and hair cover were not in compliance with the rules

3. The ref enforced the rules at the time correctly.

4. If the ref didn't check the covering that was presented (if it was presented) at the weigh in/skin check, then he applied the rule correctly, but did his job before the match poorly.  Poor officiating decision based on not doing his job before the match.

5. Where do the coach/kid fall in here?  Coach didn't inform the athlete of the rule=idiot.  Kid refused to comply with the rule=foolish decision.  Someone here has to own the blame as much as the official

6. Media involvement and all talking heads and sport celebrity's weighing in: as usual, bad for society, bad for the sport, all about retweets, likes, and followers

7. Cutting of "dreads" and significance: Hair is hair.  Without state level waiver of rules, the style of hair or representation shouldn't matter.  

Bottom line: A person can be a idiot, and correct at the same time.  

If you as a consumer of information can't get past the idiot part, then just as unreasonable as the decisions you chastise.  

2 hours ago, LordNelson said:

This sport's(and many others) unhealthy obsession with blaming the referees for everything is bringing it to the point of extinction.

Pretty simple after seeing the evidence:

1. The ref is a racist, but not because of this incident.  He made comments in the past....so he is a as previously said, a turd.

2. The kid's hair and hair cover were not in compliance with the rules

3. The ref enforced the rules at the time correctly.

4. If the ref didn't check the covering that was presented (if it was presented) at the weigh in/skin check, then he applied the rule correctly, but did his job before the match poorly.  Poor officiating decision based on not doing his job before the match.

5. Where do the coach/kid fall in here?  Coach didn't inform the athlete of the rule=idiot.  Kid refused to comply with the rule=foolish decision.  Someone here has to own the blame as much as the official

6. Media involvement and all talking heads and sport celebrity's weighing in: as usual, bad for society, bad for the sport, all about retweets, likes, and followers

7. Cutting of "dreads" and significance: Hair is hair.  Without state level waiver of rules, the style of hair or representation shouldn't matter.  

Bottom line: A person can be a idiot, and correct at the same time.  

If you as a consumer of information can't get past the idiot part, then just as unreasonable as the decisions you chastise.  

And unfortunately number 6 on your list is the most powerful and biggest influencer of all. In today's society, it outranks everything else on the list combined.

On 12/25/2018 at 3:10 PM, RichB said:

The wrestler getting his hair cut does not appear to have hair cover.

"Focus on the facts."

He had a hair cover.  Don't play dumb. You know he did. 

I agree with JB... in over 40 years in the sport, I have never seen anything so ridiculous. I love people here trying to play the old psychological: YES BUT GAME.

Yes But... it was the rules... Yes But... it has happened all the time in the past... Yes But... Bla bla bla.

Bottom line.  The ref is a total, power-hungry #$%&@#. 

THIS is something we ALL know, and HAVE seen forever.  Refs who are on power trips (because they are basically insecure) and they go out of their way to make a bad call and screw a kid.... And do you know what excuse they always use?: It's the rule!!!

What happened was total nonsense.  Those defending this situation should really reflect for at least a minute. 

29 minutes ago, leshismore said:

He had a hair cover.  Don't play dumb. You know he did. 

I agree with JB... in over 40 years in the sport, I have never seen anything so ridiculous. I love people here trying to play the old psychological: YES BUT GAME.

Yes But... it was the rules... Yes But... it has happened all the time in the past... Yes But... Bla bla bla.

Bottom line.  The ref is a total, power-hungry #$%&@#. 

THIS is something we ALL know, and HAVE seen forever.  Refs who are on power trips (because they are basically insecure) and they go out of their way to make a bad call and screw a kid.... And do you know what excuse they always use?: It's the rule!!!

What happened was total nonsense.  Those defending this situation should really reflect for at least a minute. 

So if he was ”going out of his way to screw the kid,” why did he not award his opponent with one match point like he should have done for the technical violation?

I’m sure the response will be something about him picking and choosing what rules he enforces, but the hair rule is considered a safety issue so that’s likely why he was more strict with that one.

Edited by 1032004

On 12/26/2018 at 1:30 AM, Plasmodium said:

Nice post.  Not just those two.  There are lots of guys in this and every other tournament  who are right at the line in the sand drawn by the rules.  Clear illustration of why this dude is such an ass clown for making a public spectacle of the whole situation 

I wouldn’t be opposed to them changing the rule, but while it’s still there, I can’t fault a guy for enforcing it.

Wow, what a genius retort. More YES but GAME...but, but, but.... 

Maybe it slipped his mind to give a technical violation.   Maybe he was so engrossed in the moment where he had the power to have a kid's hair chopped mat-side. 

I don't know why. Do you? Why don't you ask him?

Again, if you think this is ok... well... good for you. I don't. Many people don't. JB doesn't.  These are the people I prefer to hang out with.  You can choose to defend the power-hungry ref or not.  Your choice.