Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Dake - Taylor - My Best Rival

I don’t get the idea behind that...seems like it’s just another reason for paying customers to get upset that they can’t watch content they paid for. I can wait a day...it’s no big deal for me, but what’s the upside for flo?

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t get the idea behind that...seems like it’s just another reason for paying customers to get upset that they can’t watch content they paid for. I can wait a day...it’s no big deal for me, but what’s the upside for flo?

I imagine it's just about trying to build a little excitement about it and make it into an event. Some of the docs they have put out have come and gone with almost no discussion. 

15 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Would it have been better if they didnt do the 2 broadcasts on 12/24 and just release it for on demand on 12/25?

6 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Flo panders to popular wrestlers too much. 

I wish they were slightly more journalists and a lot less propaganda. 

Flo's role isn't meant to be journalistic.  The point of their movies is to promote the sport and get people to watch their events.  Of course, that makes them not actual documentaries..But still can we really complain? They are creating relatively entertaining content fairly quickly-not projects spanning many years meant to depict the nuances of athletes/competition.  It's analogous to the documentaries that the UFC puts out in their embedded/promotion series.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

On 12/27/2018 at 10:37 PM, NJDan said:

The film is just lazy. They interview the two guys side by side. No effort to talk to their coaches, their parents, their teammates. Looked like the thing was shot in a day.

I had basically nothing to do with this film and have no problem with most any criticism but calling the people who worked on it lazy is just wrong, as is assuming that no effort was made to talk to anyone else. if the film is not up to your entertainment standards, so be it, to each their own! but a tremendous amount of time and effort (and not an insignificant amount of money) went into making the documentary (it definitely qualifies as a doc btw), so please don't discount the filmmakers and their hard work. thanks.

8 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I had basically nothing to do with this film and have no problem with most any criticism but calling the people who worked on it lazy is just wrong, as is assuming that no effort was made to talk to anyone else. if the film is not up to your entertainment standards, so be it, to each their own! but a tremendous amount of time and effort (and not an insignificant amount of money) went into making the documentary (it definitely qualifies as a doc btw), so please don't discount the filmmakers and their hard work. thanks.

I think labeling it as a documentary is what causes the type of criticism you're seeing here though. In theory, every long interview is a documentary. I think a couple interviews and some highlights to back them up are great content, but some people go into flo films expecting the same kind of quality that you get from people who make documentaries professionally and put a couple years into each project. So the people calling it lazy are doing so simply because they haven't managed expectations correctly.  

Does anyone know the budget/resources that went into making this film? I love how "wrestling fans" constantly criticize the efforts of those that have dedicated their professional lives to growing the sport and making content for a niche sport that quite frankly has a very small viewership.

What kind of budget does it take to get an interview with Cael or Koll? They were a short drive away from where the film was shot. As someone said, this was basically an interview, not a documentary, which typically has multiple speakers, uses documentary footage and adds some insight into its subject. This piece did none of the above. You can grade it on a curve an give it a B+ or you can call a C a C.

35 minutes ago, NJDan said:

What kind of budget does it take to get an interview with Cael or Koll?

film crews don't work or travel for free. and no idea what the case was here (again i had next to nothing to do with the making of this film), but often head coaches have busy schedules and price quotes for taking the time to participate in such endeavors (but again, do not know what the case was here). it's absurdly more complicated then you make it sound. I can't provide a budget for you but can assure you we get as much as we can and stretch every available dollar as far as we can. 

also quite a bit of historical footage was used in the doc. not sure where you're getting your definition a documentary from, but you also don't have to call it one if you don't want to. odd decision imo but ok. 

otherwise appreciate the critique. sorry we didn't hit the mark with this one in your eyes. hopefully the next one will!

Are you seriously saying that a coach would charge money to be filmed for a documentary about one of his athletes? No way. And the crews were already there. If you say they lacked the funds to do a proper job, maybe that's true. But that does not make the job they did do any better.

Flo has gotten a lot better technically, but they are poor interviewers and are not storytellers at all.

12 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Are you seriously saying that a coach would charge money to be filmed for a documentary about one of his athletes? No way. And the crews were already there. If you say they lacked the funds to do a proper job, maybe that's true. But that does not make the job they did do any better.

Flo has gotten a lot better technically, but they are poor interviewers and are not storytellers at all.

You're right. They shouldnt have even made this piece of crap film.

As for paying money to interview a coach? No.

But that adds additional hours to the crew filming the material. Additional travel here and there. Costs start adding up. You sit there and criticize this piece that's not up to your standards. At the same time I dont see anyone else even TRYING to make this type of content. Be grateful for what you have because the way this sport is headed theres not gonna be anything to film or even talk about. I grew up in this sport where it was almost impossible to view wrestling or find information about the sport. I'm grateful that theres someone out there now trying to get this content out there.

Edited by BigTenFanboy