Sign in to follow this  
DoDDS Wrestler

Any NCAA D1 Non-Russian European wrestlers?

I was having a conversation with my buddy last night about the differences between freestyle and folkstyle and he challenged me to name 5 non-Russian wrestlers that wrestled D1 in America. I couldn't come up with a single name. Anyone want to help me set him straight? Thanks

8 minutes ago, Gantry said:

OP asked about Europeans.  

Born and raised in the US, no? 

Doesn’t compete for USA anymore.  He’s Serbian in culture.

A wealth of wrestling knowledge isn’t the only thing Micic’s dad has passed onto his son. Deep cultural ties to Serbia have been a central part of his identity, allowing him to feel at home among fellow Serbian national team members.

He describes his upbringing as traditionally Serbian, and some of his favorite childhood memories revolved around Serbian holidays and gatherings—Serbian Christmas, Serbian Easter, Serbian food and Serbian dancing at weddings.

Edited by jchapman

Uetake/OSU from Japan, Jere Heino/Campbell is from Finland, I remember a guy named Barnes from South Africa.  When I looked up Heino's name on Campbell's site, I saw they have a Mongolian Hwt - ODGEREL BATKHISHIG.  Matt Gentry is sort of Canadian.

Edited by Plasmodium

4 minutes ago, DoDDS Wrestler said:

I was having a conversation with my buddy last night about the differences between freestyle and folkstyle and he challenged me to name 5 non-Russian wrestlers that wrestled D1 in America. I couldn't come up with a single name. Anyone want to help me set him straight? Thanks

Ever? And the subject says European but the statement doesn't which affects Uetake, Hatta(s), Abe various Mongolians and others. I'm also assuming you aren't counting someone like Micic who although having dual citizenship was born here (as were I believe his parents).

Also, does Uzbekistan count since you didn't mention Soviet rather than Russian? 

Noel Loban- Clemson born in England NCAA champ and Olympic Silver

American U especially under Cody had several non-Americans (I used to kid him about the irony of that)

Wiki includes, as part of Europe, from the former USSR, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldavia. Like Russia, Khazakstan is listed as bot Europe and Asia. The other 4 Central Asian Republics are entirely agent. Unclear are Georgia, Armenia, Azerbyjan(sp).

French Guinea is actually a Department of France (equivalent of a State like Hawaii, not a Territory like Puerto Rico).  But i doubt of any college wrestlers from there. 

... Tony Gazoni, maybe.....

Tony Gizoni wrestled for Washington HS in PA.
https://observer-reporter.com/sports/high_school_sports/wrestling_hs/former-wash-high-wrestling-great-gizoni-dies/article_b2bb3e92-f918-5267-b69d-edd756fcf235.html

“Gizoni became the fourth wrestler in Pennsylvania history to win three state championships, capturing the title at 101 pounds in 1946, 103 pounds in 1947 and 112 pounds in 1948. He finished his scholastic career with a 77-3-1 record but went undefeated in his final three seasons with the Prexies.

Gizoni, whose first name was Victor but preferred to go by his middle name, went to Waynesburg University and became an NCAA champion in his sophomore and junior seasons.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk