Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Midlands

Just now, treep2000 said:

That was a pretty crappy sequence of events.  You never want to see someone get hurt... but... Warner CLEARLY faked whatever ankle crap he had going on to prevent him from being pinned.  If this is "Iowa Style", I hope the future recruits are watching.  It's not cool...

Didn’t see the match but Aaron Brooks is supposed to be a future leader of PSU and took a clear lunger in one of his matches. One off situations happen.

Warner legitimately hurt his ankle against Miklus less than a month ago. If it wasn’t a legit injury timeout I doubt Brands just lets it skate.

1 minute ago, wrestlingphish said:

Didn’t see the match but Aaron Brooks is supposed to be a future leader of PSU and took a clear lunger in one of his matches. One off situations happen.

Warner legitimately hurt his ankle against Miklus less than a month ago. If it wasn’t a legit injury timeout I doubt Brands just lets it skate.

That came after the period had ended and he paid a penalty for it. Warner got bailed out. Slight difference.

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

That came after the period had ended and he paid a penalty for it. Warner got bailed out. Slight difference.

Warner screamed out in pain before going to his back. The whistle blew before anybody even hit the mat. He didn't even call for time (unlike your guy who took the most shameless, obvious lunger i've seen in years). 

9 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

So the intent was the same but the punishment wasn’t? Doesn’t change anything.

Not sure the intent is identical. One guy wanted a lunger, the other wanted to avoid giving up a load of back points. Both guy's strategies worked, but one guy still paid a [price on the score board. The other was rewarded bigtime. 

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Not sure the intent is identical. One guy wanted a lunger, the other wanted to avoid giving up a load of back points. Both guy's strategies worked, but one guy still paid a [price on the score board. The other was rewarded bigtime. 

So why did he take the lunger? To prevent giving up points had the match continued as normal. Otherwise you are saying he took it for the sake of it.

Edited by wrestlingphish

2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

So treeps whole point was that the Iowa program as a whole should be indicted for this one situation - is that true or no? Should that happen?

They should be indicted mainly for the whole "push them out" "he's stalling!" crap. Mainly because they convince the refs the other guy is stalling when, if the intent is to truly push them out of bounds, they themselves are stalling. 

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

They should be indicted mainly for the whole "push them out" "he's stalling!" crap. Mainly because they convince the refs the other guy is stalling when, if the intent is to truly push them out of bounds, they themselves are stalling. 

That's not what Treep said though.

Edited by wrestlingphish

1 minute ago, wrestlingphish said:

That's not what Treep said though.

So what? It is what I say. I don't need everyone to parrot me on this. The rule book states that pushing an opponent out of bounds is stalling, but they rarely get called for it. Yet, not only is it OBVIOUS they do this, they - within earshot of the refs - even scream at their wrestlers to do this! If the refs hear this, then they should know it is the Iowa wrestlers intent to simply push the man out of bounds, in other words, to stall.  

2 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Tbar/Perry, are you ok with any wrestler taking an injury timeout to simply rest regardless of the team/match circumstances or are they only ok situationally? Feel free to quote this with a short response.

If you do it the ref should penalize you. Happened vs Brooks, but not vs Warnerov. You seeing this yet? 

22 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

That was a pretty crappy sequence of events.  You never want to see someone get hurt... but... Warner CLEARLY faked whatever ankle crap he had going on to prevent him from being pinned.  If this is "Iowa Style", I hope the future recruits are watching.  It's not cool...

Warner did not "CLEARLY" fake an injury. It looked like he was actually hurt. He could've turned down sooner if not actually hurt as well. Really easy to get injured in a long grueling tournaments like this. The body wears down.

It's possible Warner may not be good in these long tournaments. We saw the same thing at last year's Midlands. However, still a lot of time to correct issues.

Absolutely not, phish, but it's a difficult thing to know when someone is hurt or faking. The choice of position is there to deter this from happening and is a fair consequence imo. My issue is comparing the two situations being discussed because the end result was vastly different. If they had given Rocco his imminent fall points I would be less concerned but as it played out Warner was given a gift more than a consequence for what he did. I blame Warner for what he did but the official more for not having the balls to make the appropriate imminent fall call (unless this rule is no longer a thing which I still havent gotten an answer on)