MatFan1111

Best High School Team Ever?

13 hours ago, Wrestlingbcpc said:

How inaccurate and uninformed.  To the contrary, Blair makes an upper echelon state (NJ) even better. Every year, many of Blair’s natiosnally ranked kids are from NJ. This year, they have 3 N.J. kids ranked in top 3 (Mastrogiovanni, Coliaco and Van Ness).  NJ is always near the top in producing college all Americans. In 2015,  NJ had 8 AA, 1 from Blair;Ok had 1.  In 2016, NJ had 6 Aa, 1 from Blair;oK had 2. In 2017, NJ had 5 AA, none from Blair; 4from OK and last year, NJ had 8 AA, 2 from Blair; OK had 4. In fact, most years, Blair is made up of a solid number of N.J. kids and NJ public schools are super tough. It’s so inaccurate to think N J would not be a top 4 in country without Blair. If anything, NJ is top 4 in country and that doesn’t even count the Blair kids who are from N.J.!!!!!!

Great points, Wrestlingbcpc. Currently, of Blair's 14 starters, 11 are NJ residents, including all three of their #1 ranked kids and 9 of their total 12 ranked ones. It is entirely possible that a team comprised of their NJ kids alone could beat all-star teams from every other state.

On 1/3/2019 at 8:08 PM, Sstern said:

Public: Graham in the last 20 years; north Allegheny PA in the 80s.

Private: Walsh mid 90s

Lock Haven HS in 1961.  They had 4 PIAA champs, and 5 of their team placed 9 times at NCAA's.  Two of those Lock Haven teammates met in the NCAA consolation finals one year. They were pretty good.

20 hours ago, LJB said:

with the ferraris heading to bergen, does blair belong on that all time list anymore?

Clearly, losing the #1 and #4 nationally ranked kids at 113 and 195 has to move this team from that consideration. Now their line up has a big hole at 195 ( although the 113 back up is currently ranked #8 by Intermat). So, perhaps the team's performance through their remaining schedule will give some indication of just how strong this group is.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, oldcougar said:

Lock Haven HS in 1961.  They had 4 PIAA champs, and 5 of their team placed 9 times at NCAA's.  Two of those Lock Haven teammates met in the NCAA consolation finals one year. They were pretty good.

My dad went to LHU from 60-63.  He went to a few of those HS matches.  He said you had to get there an hour early otherwise you had to wait in the cafeteria.  Standing room only.  He also said that either BEA or BEN had 2 state champions on their team and State College also had a few.  Given what the LHU teams were doing during that time frame, Central PA was the vortex of wrestling in the US. 

On 1/1/2019 at 10:03 AM, fudge_tunnel said:

I’d be more interested if the topic was “Best Public High School Team Ever”....

Easily 2010 Graham. ^  see Flo vids above.  

I seem to remember years ago, the Walsh Ironman would allow two wrestlers entered for each weight.  You'd see two Blair wrestlers in the finals........scary.

Edited by stp

My dad went to LHU from 60-63.  He went to a few of those HS matches.  He said you had to get there an hour early otherwise you had to wait in the cafeteria.  Standing room only.  He also said that either BEA or BEN had 2 state champions on their team and State College also had a few.  Given what the LHU teams were doing during that time frame, Central PA was the vortex of wrestling in the US. 
Clearfield was another Central PA juggernaut.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On 1/1/2019 at 8:53 AM, KTG119 said:

how does this Blair team compare to the Espo, Perry, Cooperman, Mocco teams? (At least I think those guys all overlapped at Blair). 

Kurt Backes was there at the same time.  He was a stud.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, oldcougar said:

2010 Graham state champs

103: Ryan Taylor (AA for Wisco)
130: Bo Jordan (AA tOSU)
135: Isaac Jordan (AA Wisco)
140: Felipe Martinez 
171: Huston Evans
189: Max Thomusseit (shoulda' AA...Pitt)

Runner-up

119 Nick Brascetta  (AA VT)   (lost to Ty Mitch state finals)

3rd

145: Matt Stephens 

7th

125: Sheldon Kegley

Homer list....

(edit)  posting this here, in case anyone interested.  120- Ryan Taylor state champ OH vs. Daniel Gayton state champ CA (Clovis) One of my favorite matches... https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5329437-120-lbs-match-ryan-taylor-st-paris-graham-vs-daniel-gaytan-clovis

Edited by stp

Davison MI-they had some teams in the early 2000s. One in particular had 3 futures NCAA champs in Paul Donahoe, Jon Reader and Brent Metcalf. Not sure how the rest of the team stacks up but worth mentioning.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:35 AM, jeffrideal said:

My friends dad was a 2x state champ from Lock  Haven and PA hall famer also around this time frame.

Edited by Sublime607