Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

If Pantaleo and Parris both win Midlands....

does Bormet pull out all the stops and go all-in?  Now, I don't see any team remotely challenging PSU(Iowa's slight chance went buh bye with Kemerer), but this lineup should definitely challenge for 2nd:

125:  Matten-r12-low AA potential
133:  Micic-strong Finalist potential
141:  Storr-after a lackluster wrestle-off, he has looked rejuvenated. 13-1 on the season with a 3rd place finish at Cliff Keens beating Red and losing 3-2 to Eierman in tiebreakers. An AA finish looks possible. 
149:  Pantaleo-We will learn a TON today. If he wins a bracket with Kolodzik along with his history of owning Jordan, he will be a favorite to make the Finals. 
157:  Lewan-This would be the 1st component of the "all-in".  Talented TF with 2 wins over Pantaleo. If they pull the shirt, him winning matches at NCAA's would be paramount. 
165:  Massa-sadly, so far, his career has looked eerily similar to his brother's after his 1st season.  Although, he is at least competing this year and a resurgence here is huge for UofM's chances. 
174:  Amine-This kids improvement trajectory has been impressive. Although, on paper, he has only gone from 4th to 3rd, he beat Jordan 2xs at the end of the year, has beat Lewis 2xs and has given Z and Hall all they can handle. I think he upsets at least one of them this year. 
184:  Embree-talented rsfr, but 184 is always a MEATGRINDER. I don't see him winning more than a Match or 2 at NCAAs. 
197:  Striggow-it looks like Davison didn't quite get to where I expected as a rsfr, but Striggow is no slouch. Top 16ish guy that should win a couple of matches at NCAA's. 
285:  Parris-After the top3 or 4, this weight is wide open. He could easily AA. 

They should quite easily qualify all 10 with Finalist power at 133, 149 and 174. 125, 141, 165 and 285 would all have decent chances at making the podium. 

With that lineup Iowa and UofM should be a great battle for 2nd.

I think you have prematurely written Ohio State off here. But, to go along with your theme, I hope Massa and Amine do well this year. I hope Embree ove performs. Why? Because Michigan getting stronger would be a good thing in my view and part of that has to be that great Michigan 10th grader who will be in this weight range. 

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Given Pantaleo's loss to Thomsen... nah... 

and then his follow-up 4-0 loss to Sammy Sasso.  Nice run through the backside for Sasso, after losing his opener to Teemer.

Pantaleo will go against Teemer for 5/6.

image.png.7e01f09e0f764018ac277ec8672237ec.png

Edited by lu_alum

That is why I said IF. Pantaleo down to 149 had me worried about 2nd weigh in and he showed next to no activity today. Now, maybe he can fully adjust by March, but he is a pretty big 149 and I am not sure a couple more months of making that weight won't hurt more than it helps. 

As far as Parris goes, he made a tf blunder. Should have been smart and let it go to OT and then won it on his feet where he was vastly superior. The kid is still raw and will only improve as his career moves forward. 

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I think you have prematurely written Ohio State off here. But, to go along with your theme, I hope Massa and Amine do well this year. I hope Embree ove performs. Why? Because Michigan getting stronger would be a good thing in my view and part of that has to be that great Michigan 10th grader who will be in this weight range. 

I just don't like tOSU scoring little to no points at 125, 157(Hayes is way to undersized), 165, 174 and even 285(I know Singletary has shown some flashes, but I don't see more than a couple wins and that only adds up to 1.5 or 2 pts. 

After that, Pletcher will be hard pressed to match what he did last year or even AA again for that matter.  So, that leaves only Martin as a true lock for the finals with McKenna and Jordan a likely top 4.  Moore could end up in the Finals, but I am not sold he will be any more energetic than last season,  having just weighed in at 212 in freestyle barely a month ago. 

They have been gelling in March the last couple of years, so maybe they prove me wrong, but I just don't see them putting it all together this year. 

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

If Pantaleo and Parris both win Midlands....

As things would turn out, we have placed the cart in front of the horse. 

Actually, the word IF literally disqualifies your statement. But, feel free to keep being you.....

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:
does Bormet pull out all the stops and go all-in?  Now, I don't see any team remotely challenging PSU(Iowa's slight chance went buh bye with Kemerer), but this lineup should definitely challenge for 2nd:

125:  Matten-r12-low AA potential
133:  Micic-strong Finalist potential
141:  Storr-after a lackluster wrestle-off, he has looked rejuvenated. 13-1 on the season with a 3rd place finish at Cliff Keens beating Red and losing 3-2 to Eierman in tiebreakers. An AA finish looks possible. 
149:  Pantaleo-We will learn a TON today. If he wins a bracket with Kolodzik along with his history of owning Jordan, he will be a favorite to make the Finals. 
157:  Lewan-This would be the 1st component of the "all-in".  Talented TF with 2 wins over Pantaleo. If they pull the shirt, him winning matches at NCAA's would be paramount. 
165:  Massa-sadly, so far, his career has looked eerily similar to his brother's after his 1st season.  Although, he is at least competing this year and a resurgence here is huge for UofM's chances. 
174:  Amine-This kids improvement trajectory has been impressive. Although, on paper, he has only gone from 4th to 3rd, he beat Jordan 2xs at the end of the year, has beat Lewis 2xs and has given Z and Hall all they can handle. I think he upsets at least one of them this year. 
184:  Embree-talented rsfr, but 184 is always a MEATGRINDER. I don't see him winning more than a Match or 2 at NCAAs. 
197:  Striggow-it looks like Davison didn't quite get to where I expected as a rsfr, but Striggow is no slouch. Top 16ish guy that should win a couple of matches at NCAA's. 
285:  Parris-After the top3 or 4, this weight is wide open. He could easily AA. 

They should quite easily qualify all 10 with Finalist power at 133, 149 and 174. 125, 141, 165 and 285 would all have decent chances at making the podium. 

With that lineup Iowa and UofM should be a great battle for 2nd.

Sorry to see the guys go down, but as your title implied, I'm kind of glad.   The focus really shouldn't be on this season,  but NEXT one, where the top guys will be seniors, the changing of the guard will have a solid year under their belt, and almost every weight class with someone with podium potential.  

29 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Actually, the word IF literally disqualifies your statement. But, feel free to keep being you.....

As if your headline wasn't leading. You can't hang out on the www and get to play both sides of the random question and not get a snark when things don't pan out. 

17 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

As if your headline wasn't leading. You can't hang out on the www and get to play both sides of the random question and not get a snark when things don't pan out. 

Dude, I used the word If with the sole intent of the word meaning EXACTLY what it means. Our biggest issue is you ALWAYS thinking my stating possibilities mean I believe they will happen. If you read a post of mine on HR you would have actually seen I was considerably unsure of Pantaleo being able to perform at 149 with back to back weigh-ins. 

I actually like what if scenarios. It is a lot more fun to see if they can come true than to just say PSU will win every year and then not looking any further and other than 1 year I still ended up there.....