ConnorsDad

I really enjoyed the Spencer Lee is a going to be at 4 time National Champion era

13 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Four.  As a two-time Jr World champ, he would qualify for an Olympic RS next year.  Also has a standard RS, as you suggested.

Add in some post-grad years and I think he has a chance at a good eight Midlands titles

9 hours ago, Hotkarl712 said:

Add in some post-grad years and I think he has a chance at a good eight Midlands titles

I doubt Lee ever wrestles at Midlands after he graduates but if he does it's because he can't make a senior world team.....so, no.

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Proof that a healthy Nick would have handled him last year.   

Lee also beat an injured Tomasello too.   

Glory will surpass him as well and i wouldn't be surprised if Bresser beats him again

Put the pipe down!

You guys are crazy..

If you know anything about wrestling and have watched Spencer Lee at this best, you will agree that wasn't Spencer Lee yesterday. I am a Penn State fan, and I was bummed to see what happened. Not because he lost, but because that might have been only a 50% Spencer Lee. You think he get SHUT DOWN from Rivera on a normal day? This is a multiple time world champion and NCAA champion. I am not saying he doesn't have a chance at losing to Rivera, but he barely wrestled him, and he looked like he was at 30% against Glory. And guys, he wrestled AWFUL (For whatever reasons I am unsure of) and he still won 12-6 over Glory, so lets calm down there.

I am not sure what he is dealing with, but I hope it's something he can shake off and get back to being 100%

I wouldn't disagree he has a gas tank problem. It's pretty funny to hear some of you guys saying, "I hope Brands can figure it out" - If he has an issue gassing out in the later periods, there isn't anything to "figure out" - Get on the treadmill and run intervals, hop in the pool and swim laps, spend a lot of time on a Concept2 rowing or SkiErg machine. There isn't anything more frustrating when wrestlers don't have the ability to wrestle at 100% for three periods because they get tired. Spend more time on your cardio! With that being said, Lee didn't gas out last year at NCAA's and while I don't think he has a motor like Nolf or Desanto, he only had about half of his usual tank yesterday.

3 minutes ago, CTex said:

You guys are crazy..

If you know anything about wrestling and have watched Spencer Lee at this best, you will agree that wasn't Spencer Lee yesterday. I am a Penn State fan, and I was bummed to see what happened. Not because he lost, but because that might have been only a 50% Spencer Lee. You think he get SHUT DOWN from Rivera on a normal day? This is a multiple time world champion and NCAA champion. I am not saying he doesn't have a chance at losing to Rivera, but he barely wrestled him, and he looked like he was at 30% against Glory. And guys, he wrestled AWFUL (For whatever reasons I am unsure of) and he still won 12-6 over Glory, so lets calm down there.

I am not sure what he is dealing with, but I hope it's something he can shake off and get back to being 100%

I wouldn't disagree he has a gas tank problem. It's pretty funny to hear some of you guys saying, "I hope Brands can figure it out" - If he has an issue gassing out in the later periods, there isn't anything to "figure out" - Get on the treadmill and run intervals, hop in the pool and swim laps, spend a lot of time on a Concept2 rowing or SkiErg machine. There isn't anything more frustrating when wrestlers don't have the ability to wrestle at 100% for three periods because they get tired. Spend more time on your cardio! With that being said, Lee didn't gas out last year at NCAA's and while I don't think he has a motor like Nolf or Desanto, he only had about half of his usual tank yesterday.

Long lasting gas tank problems when in shade could mean Mono.

More on this ...

Spencer Lee has had a series of injuries that were only revealed late in the game. When he had his torn labrum we only learned of it after he completed at the worlds. When he tore his ACL it seemed like it was a secret right until he showed up at states (his senior year). A serious possibility is that he has some injury or other issue that we didn’t hear about. I have been in the camp that the only thing standing in Lee’s way was the potential for injury. Others said he may overtrain and put his body in harms way. All possible in my view. 

12 minutes ago, scribe said:

Midlands is like the first week of November for Iowa.

Just watched the match on the PSU forum. It didn't look like Spencer was gassed, but he had no sense of urgency. To me it looked like: Ok, I have to wrestle this guy probably 4x's this year let's see what he's got and if I take a "preseason loss" so what.  March only matters.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight said:

Proof that a healthy Nick would have handled him last year.   

Lee also beat an injured Tomasello too.   

Glory will surpass him as well and i wouldn't be surprised if Bresser beats him again

Yeah, the guy who beat Christian Moody 4-2 last year would have beat Lee.  Sure.

He had a bad case of the flu that he still hasn't fully recovered from yet.  It is completely obvious to anyone familiar with how he wrestles that his energy level was not there in the semis or finals.  

He should have taken a month off, but he's a gamer so he didn't. He decided to wrestle not at 100%, and he lost to Rivera who wrestled a fantastic match.   Lee could have ducked him to not take the loss, but he didn't.