Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Could Suriano take out Spencer Lee this year?

Couple of people close to the program have said that Lee had a pretty bad case of the flu and is still recovering.  Shouldn't have been wrestling, especially in the finals, but he wanted to win Midlands, so he wrestled and Rivera took it to him. 

The one potential "weakness" that people have mentioned about Lee is his gas tank, and that certainly looked to be the issue against Glory and Rivera. 

However, watch the NCAA finals last year - he went toe to toe with Suriano for 7 minutes and actually outmuscled him, which can't be easy (Suriano was likely the physically strongest guy at 125 last year, and maybe the physically strongest at 133 this year) and must require a heck of a lot of energy.  Despite that, Lee seemed like the fresher wrestler at the end.  When he's healthy, I don't think the gas tank is really an issue.

Based on last year's match, I can't see Suriano ever beating a fully healthy Lee.

Edited by DEFan79

8 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

Couple of people close to the program have said that Lee had a pretty bad case of the flu and is still recovering.  Shouldn't have been wrestling, especially in the finals, but he wanted to win Midlands, so he wrestled and Rivera took it to him. 

The one potential "weakness" that people have mentioned about Lee is his gas tank, and that certainly looked to be the issue against Glory and Rivera. 

However, watch the NCAA finals last year - he went toe to toe with Suriano for 7 minutes and actually outmuscled him, which can't be easy (Suriano was likely the physically strongest guy at 125 last year, and maybe the physically strongest at 133 this year) and must require a heck of a lot of energy.  Despite that, Lee seemed like the fresher wrestler at the end.  When he's healthy, I don't think the gas tank is really an issue.

Based on last year's match, I can't see Suriano ever beating a fully healthy Lee.

I this the same sickness they said Spencer was recovering from when he faded so badly in his win at the Iowa State dual...a full four weeks ago (12/1) ??  If so that must've been one heck ao a nasty virus strain

2 minutes ago, gromit said:

I this the same sickness they said Spencer was recovering from when he faded so badly in his win at the Iowa State dual...a full four weeks ago (12/1) ??  If so that must've been one heck ao a nasty virus strain

Its kinda like Warnerov's case of Jetlag. It lasts a really really really long time. 

2 minutes ago, gromit said:

If you've ever has a bad case of the flu, you'd know that is can be serious, especially if you try to come back too fast.  Most of the time with a typical case of the flu, you can get back to normal in about 2 weeks.  If you catch a virulent strain, it can seriously effect you for a while, not dissimilar to mono.

2 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

If you've ever has a bad case of the flu, you'd know that is can be serious, especially if you try to come back too fast.  Most of the time with a typical case of the flu, you can get back to normal in about 2 weeks.  If you catch a virulent strain, it can seriously effect you for a while, not dissimilar to mono.

same thing with serious staph infections that require to you be in the hospital for weeks hooked up to ivs.

5 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

same thing with serious staph infections that require to you be in the hospital for weeks hooked up to ivs.

Eh, the infection was localized to the knee.  That's not going to affect his energy level or overall performance beyond some soreness. Meanwhile, Yianni was wrestling with a torn ACL.

Again, Suriano looked completely fine and exactly like he did throughout the year.

2 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

Eh, the infection was localized to the knee.  That's not going to affect his energy level or overall performance beyond some soreness. Meanwhile, Yianni was wrestling with a torn ACL.

Again, Suriano looked completely fine and exactly like he did throughout the year.

Clearly u dont watch enough Suriano. Suriano should have dominated Cruz, instead of barely getting by.

The rule according to you is when Lee loses its cuz he was sick or injured. When Suriano loses hes just not that good.

I've probably watched 75% of his college matches so far in his career.  He looked fine.  He barely got by Cruz because Cruz was ultra-defensive after getting in major trouble against Suriano the first time they wrestled.  Cruz probably should have got dinged for stalling more than he did.  That's it.

Again, Suriano looked and wrestled like himself, Lee did not.  There's no "rule", there's just the reality of what objective observers saw

Its kinda like Warnerov's case of Jetlag. It lasts a really really really long time. 
Why do you keep calling him Warnerov? Is your Russian autocorrect turned on or is that supposed to be some kind of clever nickname, like how other posters type Kale?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Hotkarl712 said:

Yeah but that was Suriano's injury and people don't like him so it's no excuse

To be fair, Suriano probably doesn't get the benefit of the doubt as much as he should.  He does bring some of that on himself, I think.  Like calling out Micic for ducking him at Midlands, when Suriano bailed out of Big 10s last year. 

5 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

To be fair, Suriano probably doesn't get the benefit of the doubt as much as he should.  He does bring some of that on himself, I think.  Like calling out Micic for ducking him at Midlands, when Suriano bailed out of Big 10s last year. 

He didnt get the benefit of the doubt before that happened so you cant use that as an excuse. Even you claim he was perfectly healthy when he wasn't.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Just now, DEFan79 said:

It has nothing to do with "perfectly healthy".  Did Suriano look like himself and wrestle at the same level of quality that he usually does? Yup.  Did Lee? Nope.

Yes and Yes

When Lee was cranking Glory over and over in the first he looked like himself. When Lee took bottom, Glory road the crap out of him and turned him twice. Lee looked tired. Hes looked tired in the second and third periods before. This is nothing new. Lee looked like himself.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

5 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

It has nothing to do with "perfectly healthy".  Did Suriano look like himself and wrestle at the same level of quality that he usually does? Yup.  Did Lee? Nope.

Maybe Suriano is better at sucking it up and hiding his illness/injuries than Lee? Is that what you're saying? Maybe hes just tougher?

30 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

Lack of training and missed time right before the end of the year crunch could definitely affect both his energy levels and overall performance.  Though I tend to agree that he looked like himself, we can't accurately judge what went on in his head during the semi and final with no other national tournament experience to compare it to.   

On a different note, I love that Lee was beatable after midlands last year, unbeatable after nationals, and is now beatable again.  Maybe he hates wrestling during the holidays or peaks when it matters most.  I wouldn't bet against him (made that mistake last year) and I am a Rutgers/Suriano fan!  

9 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Yes and Yes

When Lee was cranking Glory over and over in the first he looked like himself. When Lee took bottom, Glory road the crap out of him and turned him twice. Lee looked tired. Hes looked tired in the second and third periods before. This is nothing new. Lee looked like himself.

Like he gassed against Suriano in the 2nd and 3rd periods in the NCAA Finals. Oh wait, that didn't happen...

1 hour ago, DEFan79 said:

Another way to look at is that Lee shouldn't have been wrestling to prevent unnecessarily exposing Rivera to a highly contagious respiratory illness.